Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2018 08:00

U3417W, Dual PC, DDM shortcut to swap input broke?

Problem:  DDM Hot Key Command works from Desktop to work computer but not from work computer to Desktop.

Setup:  I have two computers set up to use the monitor input switching. I have a home desktop and work laptop that I cannot install software on. Desktop is connected via mDP and using USB 2 in DDM. Laptop is using HDMI 1 and USB 1 without DDM.  I have a wireless keyboard/Mouse set up connected to USB 2 on the monitor. I am using Hot Key CTRL+SHIFT+]

What works:  Hot Key to switch from mDP (primary machine) to HDMI (work machine).  Keyboard and Mouse on both machines.

What does not work: Hot Key to switch from HDMI (work machine) back to mDP (Primary machine).  

Does the DDM need to be installed on my work machine in order for the monitor to capture the hot key command?

4 Posts

October 5th, 2018 18:00

OK. I connected another home computer to the HDMI 1 port, installed the DDM software, set it up to swap between HDMI 1 and mDP with the same hot key. I had to CLOSE DDM in order for the hot key to take. With it installed on both machines and the same hot key, it works as I expected by swapping back and forth. So, now I will try and get my work to let me install the DDM software on my laptop. It's the least they can do since their Symantec is blocking outbound IGMP that the VPN client uses on my local LAN but not when I'm tethered on my phone.

425 Posts

October 5th, 2018 17:00

No it doesn't. Go into the full DDM window, and on the Input Manager page, try changing the active input from mDP to HDMI, then back from HDMI to mDP - using the "Change active input" listbox rather than a hotkey.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2018 17:00

I can do that on the mDP computer with DDM installed, but not on the second computer on HDMI without DDM installed. I've set up a preset to switch back to mDP by the physical buttons on my monitor as a work around. It would just be nice to use the hot key to swap between the two properly like hitting F2 on a server rack KVM. 

Edit:  The hot key works if the computer on HDMI it turned off. I can swap back and forth with no issue. Maybe something is hooking into my assigned hot key. I'll try changing it to something else to see. 

Edit 2: Nope, changing the hot key didn't work.

4 Posts

October 11th, 2018 11:00

No problem.  I hate finding the exact problem I'm having and the solution was along the lines of "I got it to work." And no more description as to what fixed the issue.

1 Message

October 11th, 2018 11:00

Thanks for your posts on this - certainly helped me (in IDENTICAL position with work laptop) :-)

1 Message

May 2nd, 2020 04:00

Two year old thread I know, but I'll post this as it may be useful for someone else searching for the same issue. I have two 2415 displays, the second of which is using all of the inputs I as switch between a number of different PC/servers.  I found that using the shortcut method was not too useful as I would often have a number of windows open and had to collapse them in order to get to the shortcuts or hunt through the menus to select the one I wanted. I've finally gotten around to writing a small program that just has a tool tray icon with a context menu that allows me to select the source I want, clean and efficient and I do not know why dell do not add the same options to their program. If anyone want's a copy of it just PM me and I'll attach by return. Windows 10 only and it should work with any Dell monitor that can change source using the ddm.exe method.

No Events found!