Re: U3818DW, Apple, USB Type-C, signal search issue

There will not be a newer firmware than M3B103 to address this specific issue because the Displays Team verified that firmware M3B103 fixed the issue when connected to our labs Latitude 5580 =
Windows 10 1083, Build 17134.376
PC BIOS 1.2.0
Intel HD 630 driver 24.20.100.623

Latitude 5580 TB3/USB Type-C --> U3818DW USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable --> U3818DW USB Type-C port

You must replicate the issue on a non-Apple Windows PC running Windows 10. Then post the following data =
Windows PC model
Windows OS
PC BIOS version
GPU and GPU driver version
U3818DW non-private 20 digit S/N, A0x number

0 Kudos
JoacimWall
1 Copper

Hi I know this is not the solution you are looking for but i use this

https://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-type-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

converter to use the mini-displayport for video and use the usb-c to connect to the usb-hub. 

The pros of this is that i get all bandwith on the usb-c for data. for example i connect a 

https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-USB3GIG/ network adapter on the back so when i change line in (computer) i get r45 connection as well. (for you info i you by this and use the latest version of mac OS don't try to install the drivers it will crash you os.) it's works perfect without driver installation.

Yes i know this is not what you want but its work and no more cuts out.

Regards Joacim   

0 Kudos
chro80
1 Nickel

Hi Joacim

Thanks for the suggestion. However, like this the "sexyness" of having one cable coming from the monitor that transfers display signal, data and charges the laptop is somehow gone. 

I don't suppose I can plug in the usb-c from the monitor to the proposed adapter as well as a display port cable and have the usb-c cable therefore power the adapter (and charging the laptop) as well as transfer usb data from and to the laptop through the adapter. Or would this work??

PS: I still find it very irritating from Dell that this issue is not being resolved with a small firmware update. This is not customer (who invested in their hardware!!) friendly and I know that they say that they will only support their hardware being used with their other hardware. This kind of narrow-minded thinking is an example that will inevitably cause big troubles for a company.

gl0b0
1 Copper

I just want to add that I am having this same issue as another anecdotal case. I have the M3B103 firmware installed. 

PC connected via DP, MacBook Pro connected via USB-C (charging port). 

0 Kudos
wilcher
1 Copper

Just neverending cyclying of Seach, find, wake and sleep.  This is a really annoying issue that effectivly makes the usb-c port unusable.  This is present when you have just one computer, but its even worse if yo have two workstations connected.  If I try to work off of the HDMI connector on a second workstation it will wake and auto connect to the usb-c workstation when I am in the middle of working on the other device.  Real shame becasue this is otherwise a really great display.  I dont understand how you can test on ONE specific configuration and decalre it not an issue, when mulitple users continue to have a problem with this port.

0 Kudos
Sven JA
1 Copper

Same issue here with 12" Macbook 2017. So basically Dell is saying I shouldn't buy their monitors to use with Apple devices?

0 Kudos

All can see here that the proprietary Apple hardware, operating system, and drivers were never tested/validated by Dell. So any support for our monitors with Apple must come from other Apple users on their Forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
macale
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue with a macbook pro 2018 15" , it is frustating that Dell doesn't care about Apple users.

0 Kudos