Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

December 7th, 2017 11:00

U3818DW, MacBook Pro, HDMI cuts out

Hi, I just purchased a new U3818DW and am using it with Windows 10 via HDMI and USB-C.  The USB-C signal works fine, but the HDMI signal periodically cuts out to a black screen for 2-3 seconds, then comes back.

I have tried the HDMI cable that came with it, as well as 2 additional HDMI cables I had, and 2 USB-C to HDMI dongles, and all exhibit the same problem.  I have also tried both HDMI1 and HDMI2 inputs on the Dell monitor, but both cut out.  I have tried setting the HDMI source as the primary and secondary/PBP, but HDMI still cuts out in all configurations. 

I have updated to the latest monitor firmware and Dell drivers on my Windows 10 laptop.

Based on all of my troubleshooting it seems to be a problem with the HDMI on the monitor.  Is there a problem with the HDMI driver here or something else??

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 7th, 2017 13:00

* Was the U3818DW purchased directly from Dell or some reseller?
* What is the 20 digit alpha-numeric U3818DW serial number and A0x revision?
* To what Laptop model is the U3818DW attached?
* List all of the video out ports on the laptop
* What Windows 10 power plan?
* What resolution and Hz is the U3818DW running?
* Press the U3818DW Menu button to open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Others. What is the firmware?
* Have you replicated the issue when testing the U3818DW on a different computer?

4 Posts

December 9th, 2017 20:00

Hi Chris, thanks for the response.  Answers inline:

* Was the U3818DW purchased directly from Dell or some reseller?

Purchased through my company's procurement portal via ConvergeOne

* What is the 20 digit alpha-numeric U3818DW serial number and A0x revision?

CN-097F8P-QDC00-77D-103L REV A00

* To what Laptop model is the U3818DW attached?

Macbook Pro Late 2016 15" with an AMD Radeon Pro 450

* List all of the video out ports on the laptop

Laptop only has 4x USB-C ports.  I am using two of these plugs as follows: (1) USB-C cable direct to Dell monitor for display and keyboard/mouse connected to Dell monitor.  (2) Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle direct to Dell monitor.  (I am doing this because I wish to split the monitor into 2 screens using PBP mode to continue using Windows Snap in 8 available panes. I do not like Easy Arrange.)  Note that the cutting out only occurs with the HDMI input, regardless of whether or not the USB-C is also connected or PBP is on/off.  The USB-C display never cuts out.

* What Windows 10 power plan?

High Performance

* What resolution and Hz is the U3818DW running?

1920x1600, 60Hz

* Press the U3818DW Menu button to open the monitor OSD (On Screen Display) -Others. What is the firmware?

M3B103

* Have you replicated the issue when testing the U3818DW on a different computer?

I do not have another computer with USB-C, but this HDMI dongle has worked fine on my previous monitor without issue.

Since your message I have also tried the following:

• Updated Boot Camp Graphics driver to version 6.3

• Tried multiple different HDMI cables

• Tested the Mac with 2 USB-C to HDMI dongles: If I hook up both HDMI dongles and use both HDMI inputs on the monitor, the display adapter's Monitor tab shows HDMI, but this time, BOTH of them cut out after a few minutes.

• Tried disabling PBP mode and just using a single HDMI input, but it still cuts out after a few minutes.

There is DEFINITELY something wrong with the HDMI inputs on this Dell monitor.  I've been using the same laptop and HDMI dongles for almost a year now on my old Samsung monitor without ever having this problem occur.  Plus, it does not occur with the USB-C input, so that should rule out my laptop.

Any ideas?

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Hi Chris, were you able to reproduce this problem?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 29th, 2018 14:00

Apologies for missing your last reply!

Unfortunately, no. We could not replicate the issue on any of our test Dell Laptops or Desktops. We never validated the U3818DW on the Apple proprietary hardware, operating system (including Windows Bootcamp), and drivers.

U3818DW.JPG

Our advice is that you should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting opinions. They will have the Apple computer and Apple cabling that we do not.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2018 16:00

Yes but unfortunately they do not have your $1500 monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 30th, 2018 11:00

I was simply showing you what the U3818DW driver page shows as the tested/validated operating systems.

The U3818DW User's Guide makes no mention of Apple nor does the Dell sales site. Which is why it makes sense to ask the other Apple users what their troubleshooting thoughts are.

Returns are only allowed inside the first 30 days from the Dell invoice date.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 1st, 2018 09:00

One Apple user on their Forum tried this...

The U3818DW HDMI 1 and 2 by default are set to 2.0. Change it to 1.4 and retest =

Note, the resolution should be 3840x1600 30Hz or 24Hz. Not 60Hz due to the HDMI 1.4 limitation.

* The MacBook Pro is connected to the U3818DW in this way =
MacBook Pro TB/USB-C out port --> TB/USB-C to HDMI cable --> U3818DW #1 HDMI in port (left most HDMI in port when looking from the rear of the U3818DW)
* Open the U3818DW Menu OSD (On Screen Display)
* Go to Input Source
* Highlight #1 HDMI
* Press and hold in the check button for 10 seconds. The HDMI configuration message should appear =
DisableHDMI20.JPG

* Disable HDMI 2.0
* Exit the Menu OSD and retest

1 Message

June 14th, 2018 10:00

I have the same issue, My Dell UltraSharp 38 Monitor - U3818DW plugged into my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 / Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

via USB C cable provided by Dell and it keeps dropping the connection, i need to power cycle the dell to get it to come back... and then it lasts a few min before dropping again very frustrating!! I have tried restarting the macbook i reset the Mac's NVRAM and SMC and nada.Please Help. 

No Events found!