j15e
2 Bronze

U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB Type-C intermittent connection, #2

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a brand new Macbook Pro 16" and a brand new Dell 3818DW and experience the same issue as described in this thread (but I can't comment, it is locked) of intermittent connection lost.

Any way to work around this? I tried using my Apple power supply in addition to the USB-C of the display, but this does not change anything, still losing connection randomly and monitor is powering off.

I do not have one on hand but I guess I should try a USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI rather than using the display USB Type-C as a dock. This is quite sad for such a pricey display.

Best regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
j15e
2 Bronze

Re: U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB Type-C intermittent connection, #2

Jump to solution
I have unplugged / plugged the USB-C and disabled both energy options "Automatic graphic switch" and "Power nap" in Mac OS (Big Sur). I can't tell if this is really a solution but so far so good, the issue did not occurred again in the last 2 days. I think maybe I'll purchase a "premium" USB-C cable, maybe it will help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
j15e
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
I have unplugged / plugged the USB-C and disabled both energy options "Automatic graphic switch" and "Power nap" in Mac OS (Big Sur). I can't tell if this is really a solution but so far so good, the issue did not occurred again in the last 2 days. I think maybe I'll purchase a "premium" USB-C cable, maybe it will help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DELL-Cares

Jump to solution

Thankyou for updating us.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click our Dell-Cares name and send us a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
DELL-Cares

Jump to solution

Hello,

Hope you're doing well.
Just dropping by to check on the reported issues.

Did you get the chance to observe the system?
Feel free to drop in a message here if you need any help.

Kavyashree

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click our Dell-Cares name and send us a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
crakarjax
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I had this issue crop up today and spent an unproductive hour on support chat. I also have a new 2019 MBP 16" and everything was working fine except the chirping until recently when my connection and charging started intermittently dropping.

I swapped USB-C cables and while the new cable only charges at 60w instead of 95w it's not dropped the video connection in the past 10 minutes which is nice. I wonder if Dell is supplying subpar cables with these monitors? Although I'm sure the OP of that now-locked thread tried various cables, and clearly the protocol is implemented incorrectly so that may be a separate issue.

ifonul
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This seems to be the same as here.

0 Kudos
j15e
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Long term update: still fixed for me (no more intermittent black screen).

Not sure if that is the fix, but I always use my Apple external power supply in addition to the display USB-C.

0 Kudos