Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2017 11:00

U3818DW, MacBook Pro via USB Type-C, USB 2.0

Folks

I have the U3818DW 38" USB-C monitor.   I can't believe I am the only one having this issue.   I am using this monitor with 2016 touch bar macbook pro.   USB-C works great.  Charged my mac and also drives the monitor.   However, all the USB ports in the monitor ONLY work at USB-2 speed.  I even tried the USB Upstream cables to see they help. So. How to get the USB ports to work at USB-3 speed when connected to USB-C?

Thank you.

1 Message

March 26th, 2018 16:00

I can try to answer this, the reason you are only seeing USB 2 speeds is because your display is taking up a lot of the bandwidth to drive it.  There's only so much data that can be pushed via the USB C cable.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 5th, 2018 05:00

The Displays Team has validated DY77 statement.

If the source (laptop) video out is USB Type-C, due to bandwidth contstraints, the monitor USB 3.0 downstream ports will operate at USB 2.0 speed.

If you want the monitor USB 3.0 downstream ports to operate at USB 3.0 speed, the source (laptop) video out must be either DP, mDP, HDMI.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 16th, 2017 08:00

Dell cannot speak to the non-validated Apple proprietary hardware, operating system, and drivers. You should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting opinions. We only tested Windows computers on the U3818DW.

In theory, the U3818DW USB 3.0 Upstream Cable should be connected directly to a computers USB 3.0 port. Then, the U3818DW two side and two bottom USB 3.0 Downstream ports would achieve 5 Gbps data rate. See page 20 in the User's Guide =

4 Posts

October 17th, 2017 09:00

Ha.  90% of of your target user base for this monitor is Mac folks.  and there are few Macbook Pros with USB-C.  So please try to make an effort and test it with Apple Hardware too.

Anyway.. As per the spec you pasted up, it looks like USB3.0 would transfer data at USB 2.0 speed.   And NO the upstream port doesn't help when connected to a USB-C laptop.

What a mess.  I will probably return the monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 17th, 2017 15:00

"90% of of your target user base for this monitor is Mac folks."
From where did you get that data? The pre-sales and support questions we are getting via chat and phone are Windows users.

"please try to make an effort and test it with Apple Hardware too."
The team decided before it ever went on sale to only validate this model on Windows as shown the driver,

Again, you should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting.

2 Posts

December 19th, 2018 21:00

I have no idea what is the percent market share of Apple users but I whole heartedly agree with @ajayaa. I currently work in a company with just over 100 Mac machines and 1 (yes, one) Windows machine. At least in this company I know for a fact that if Dell's monitors were compatible with Mac we would buy them. It is a fact because I make the purchasing decision.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 09:00

RandD,

In 2017, Apple was only 7.6% of PC units sold. Windows based PC were 92.4%. In a perfect world, Apple would reach out to Dell and pursue a partnership. We would send them monitors, they would test them on their Apple operating system, drivers, hardware and let us know what worked and what did not. Dell, monitor manufacturers, and Apple would work together to fix issues. To date, Apple does not want such a partnership. Is it because Apple does not want Dell and our monitor manufacturers to see the inner workings of their proprietary hardware and software which would be required to fix issue? No idea.

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2018 09:00

Thanks Chris. I hope this changes and likely both companies need to be a little bit more proactive for this to occur. IMO Dell is leading in display innovation and its packed specs should make competitors salivate.

Until then, people can make the difference. Instead of being numb to user needs you can help them solve problems instead of pointing them to the dry specs. Forward and represent their passion to Dell's product and sales groups. 7% or not, Dell has no idea what Apple users would do for a good monitor that would let them experience the oomf of their machine on a larger canvas.

No Events found!