Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2021 07:00

U3818DW, Quadro M620 resolution issue

Hello all.

I bought a (fairly expensive) Dell Ultra-Wide U3818DW monitor 6 months ago. It worked fine with my Lenovo P71 laptop, which has an NVidia Quadro M620 GFX card.

I noticed, that several weeks ago, the monitor started to go into resolutions/modes that are not the monitors preferred 3840x1600@60hz, but something much smaller, sometimes even interlaced modes.

Usually, after a few Windows 10 restarts, the software (whichever) was finally finding the correct resolution. It has become worse the couple of weeks until recently (mid July 2021) it was no longer possible *at all* to get the default 3840x1600 resolution via pressing Windows+P to switch to the external monitor only.

I've upgraded every driver etc. of my hardware, Dell monitor firmware, Dell monitor drivers, NVidia GFX card drivers, Lenovo Vantage etc. pp. I've posted the whole misery here as well:

https://superuser.com/questions/1663633/lenovo-p71-windows-10-nvidia-m620-graphics-card-with-an-external-dell-u3818dw

I even tried to create the resolution manually via the NVidia driver utility itself, but the monitor's OSD only displayed an error with 3840x1600@60Hz.

I've added an EDIT to the SU posting what the Dell Display Manager has to say about the current setup.

It occurrs to me, that the Windows updates that were installed automatically somehow resulted in a non-working communication with the NVidia driver regarding the resolution, as the Dell Display Manager says that it cannot communicate with the U3818DW via the driver.

What's going on here and how do I get the screen resolution of 3840x1600 to work???

Thanks
Ka Wu

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2021 21:00

well you have done enough troubleshooting 

If your monitor gives same issue with a different notebook/Desktop and replace monitor 

If monitor works fine with second PC as well. 

Repair windows. 

Download Media creation tool from here and choose upgrade this PC now.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2021 04:00

Believe it or not, I bought two Dell U3818DW, one for home and one for work and BOTH monitors stopped to work.

There's no need to assume anything's wrong with the monitors.

I will try the Windows 10 Upgrade, then I will try another laptop.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 30th, 2021 14:00

Both monitor not working 

Bro seems to be like MONITOR issue

Save all these troubles for yourself and check with alternate computer first 

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 30th, 2021 14:00

If  you have already upgrade IRST driver than use stock Microsoft SATA driver instead to BYPASS 

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2021 09:00

Monitor issue makes no sense. Probability of two monitors breaking is near zero.

I managed to upgrade Windows to the latest 21H1 release. No changes, resolution still wrong.

I even found another way to update some ThinkPad Video Features (NVidia N17) drivers, but that also didn't solve anything:

2021-08-02 13_46_40-laptops and netbooks __ thinkpad p series laptops __ thinkpad p71 __ 20hk __ 20h - Kopie.png

I got another Windows laptop to plug with both monitors: works like a charm.

I'm pretty sure now that some of the Windows updates cause something in combination with the GFX card driver, but I still don't know how to fix this.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2021 12:00

Use DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode. 

Reboot and let windows loads drivers and test the Monitor. 

If it works fine do not put Lenovo Drivers. 

Last Resource Run GEFORCE Experience and use NVIDIA Drivers

Last possibility is a BAD GPU(soldered on motherboard) 

If warranty is there contact Lenovo. 

If no warranty switch to USB Video with a USB to HDMi adapter. 

7 Posts

August 4th, 2021 02:00

I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode. The next time Windows was up, it switched to the same video as before (the wrong one).

For some reason, I managed to finally install the latest NVidia drivers, which formerly failed. However, that did not result in any changes regarding the resolution.

I have a 5-year warranty on my Lenovo, so I will contact them and have a technician exchange the motherboard.

I will report back if that solved it.

7 Posts

August 4th, 2021 03:00

I just ran the Lenovo disagnostics tool (the first four as in the pic):

2021-08-04 12_26_13-Lenovo Diagnostics Windows.png

Graphics card (Grafikkarte) tests OK.

Motherboard (Steuerplatine) tests OK.

Display interface (Anzeigeschnittstelle) tests OK.

Display (Anzeige) tests OK - BUT the last test revealed:

Tests OK, but failed.Tests OK, but failed.

Details:

2021-08-04 12_04_01-Lenovo Diagnostics Windows - Kopie.pngEh?

Resolution test was OK, but my system cannot reach the maximum native resolution of my display?

Why is this OK then...?

Anyway, seems something is really really bugged with my Lenovo.

7 Posts

August 4th, 2021 09:00

Finally found the cause and the solution: it's on Lenovo's side.

See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P71-no-longer-recognizes-external-monitor-native-resolution-of-3840x1600-maxes-out-on-1920x1080/m-p/5091983

They released a bugged firmware update in mid July 2021.

The download link to the fixed version is right there.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 4th, 2021 11:00

Definitely onboard GPU (Motherboard) 

Lenovo should swap that out 

No Events found!