Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2017 20:00

U3818DW, firmware update failed, broke monitor?

Hello community,

I have been a happy owner of the U3818DW thus far. But when I tried to update the firmware today (exactly following the procedures listed in the update manual), midway between the update process, the monitor went blank without any error message. Now, I am at a point where I cannot even turn on the monitor at all. Has anyone encountered this issue before? Or anyone knows of a way to hard reset the monitor so that I can get it to turn it on?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 4th, 2018 06:00

"the instruction said that the monitor requires power but I needed to unplug the display cables ( hdmi, display port etc) which i did..  the only cables connected during the update was the power cable and the upstream USB for data."

I admit, the instruction PDF is confusing. You needed at least 1 video cable still attached.

1. The U3818DW must be connected to a power source during the firmware update process

2. Only the single U3818DW should be connected to the computer when updating the U3818DW firmware. Disconnect all additional monitors from the computer

3. Connect the U3818DW USB upstream cable directly between the U3818DW and the computer. Do not use any other USB devices between this connection. Example, no additional USB hub or dock

4. Disconnect all other (except the primary one) video and USB cables (USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB HDD, etc.) from the U3818DW before updating the firmware. All other USB devices (mouse, keyboard) should be plugged directly into the computer

Below are examples of how you should be connecting the U3818DW to the computer when doing the firmware update =

Computer USB Type-C out port --> U3818DW USB Type-C cable --> U3818DW USB Type-C in port
U3818DW USB Upstream port --> U3818DW USB 3.0 Upstream cable --> Computer USB 3.0 port

Computer DP out port --> U3818DW DP to DP cable --> U3818DW DP in port
U3818DW USB Upstream port --> U3818DW USB 3.0 Upstream cable --> Computer USB 3.0 port

5. Open the new folder, "Dell_U3818DW_Firmware Updater_M3B103_Window"

6. Double click the file, "Dell_U3818DW_Firmware Updater_M3B103_Window_UltraSharpON.exe"

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2018 06:00

Apologies that the update failed breaking the monitor. IF still under the purchased warranty period, your only recourse at this point is to get it exchanged. The used replacement should have the latest firmware already installed. But, if any U3818DW does NOT have this specific issue, "Fixes random device detection over USB-C", you should not install the firmware update.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 05:00

Before you started the firmware update, did you first disable/turn off all operating system power management options that shut the monitor off?

Did you try disconnecting the monitor power cable from the rear of the monitor, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and see if it will power on and display?

January 3rd, 2018 15:00

@pgcharette good to that I was not the only one.. I felt a bit dumb when the beautiful monitor stopped working.. its not us, its the poorly planned firmware update process.  Atleast it has good 3 year warranty.

the instruction said that the monitor requires power but I needed to unplug the display cables ( hdmi, display port etc) which i did..  the only cables connected during the update was the power cable and the upstream USB for data.

i did disconnect the powercable waited more than an hour to see if it would come back on..

I just did the same thing, ran the M3B103 firmware update which failed, killed the brand new U3818DW monitor. I've been on the phone will Dell technical support for more than one hour, it took about 45 minutes just to explain this simple problem, extremely frustrating. They tell me the only option is to replace the monitor, no way to "master reset" or something. Unbelievable. At least thy're sending the new one rush without waiting for me to send the dead one back.

January 22nd, 2018 10:00

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. In my case, the only cable I had between the U3818DW monitor and my Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop was the USB-C cable that came with the monitor (the monitor power cable was connected to a power source of course). According to your instructions, connecting an additional cable between monitor and laptop (U3818DW USB Upstream port --> U3818DW USB 3.0 Upstream cable --> Computer USB 3.0 port) should make the update work. I am concerned about killing a second monitor so I am hesitant... please confirm that my intended procedure is correct.

January 22nd, 2018 11:00

The monitor does have the issue, I'm concerned about killing a second U3818DW with the update process (I received a replacement monitor last week, after killing the first one with the firmware update). I just wanted to double check that running the firmware update while having two cables connected to my laptop (USB-C and upstream USB 3) has zero risk of killing the monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 11:00

If your current U3818DW does not have the specific issue fixed by the firmware update, "random device detection over USB-C", then I would not install it.

January 23rd, 2018 05:00

Good news:  I ran the firmware update while having two cables connected to my laptop (USB-C and upstream USB 3) as per the instructions above, the monitor survived and is working fine. Note that after the update, the power button was unresponsive so I could not turn off the monitor before unplugging it, so I went ahead and unplugged it, let it rest for about 30 seconds, plugged it back in and it fired up fine.

1 Rookie

• 

92 Posts

January 28th, 2018 12:00

Sorry to butt in here but this is good information!

I just purchased one of these from Dell (yet to be shipped), as I have lost some confidence in the old U3011 that's been my workhorse, and I am an avid firmware updater and will use extreme caution with this device as I don't want to blow things up.

No Events found!