Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EO

October 16th, 2014 19:00

UP2414Q, DCCS is not compatible with Windows 8.1 due to TINY UI.

Title of the thread pretty much says it all.

Monitor: brand new Dell UP2414Q, running native resolution 3840x2160 @ 60Hz on mini DisplayPort 1.2
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC running at default/stock settings on latest/current drivers.

All Dell software for the monitor has been installed from the included CD and then updated online where available.

Starting up the Dell Calibration Solution program, I find that the display of the program is in unreadably small text because it apparently the program was not updated to work correctly with Windows 8.2 and ultra high DPI monitors like this one.  There is no solution through Windows settings or nVidia driver settings.  Here are some of the obvious attempts and how they don't work:

1. Try just running the monitor at lower resolution using Windows settings, while calibrating.

result: I set it to half native: 1920 x 1080, and now I have a tiny 1920 x 1080 desktop and no scaling was done.  So the program window is as tiny and unreadable as ever.  So of course I reverted to native resolution to try the next idea.

2. Try using nVidia settings to run at half (or other) resolution, while calibrating.

result: also no good, I change the settings but Windows still only shrinks the desktop display all tiny on the monitor instead of scaling it up.  nVidia Control Panel also has settings for scaling, for exactly this reason... I tried them all and they give no result that I can tell.  Apparently Windows 8.1 itself is blocking the attempt to scale even though nVidia tries.  Or something.

3. Try just setting the windows text size to larger.  Note: at 3840 x 2160 it's already at the second highest setting, so I wouldn't expect this to help much when the Calibration Solution user interface elements are less than 50% of readable and usable size.  It had no effect, though.

4. Try running the Calibration Solution program in a different compatibility mode.  Specifically, right click the app in its folder, then try the scaling or no-scaling option.  Try again with and without setting to Windows 8 compatibility, or Windows 7, or Windows VIsta.  All of these attempts made no difference whatsoever in the display of the Calibration Solution program.  It remained too tiny to use.  Not the size of the window, but the size of the text and icons.

5. The only workaround I've found is to activate the Windows magnifying glass tool from the accessibility options in Windows 8.2.  That's terrible, having to float a virtual magnifier over an app just to use it... and it's Dell's own app not working with Dell's own monitor on the latest, fully updated, Windows system.

I'm sure someone is already working on this, and I don't mean to be excessively critical.  I just wanted to make sure my report was made, and was clear and complete.  Thanks in advance.  I searched for similar issues before I posted and didn't find any.  Apologies in advance if I missed related discussion threads, and if so, you can blame the search tool because I searched for many relevant terms such as DPI, scale, scaling, Calibration, my monitor model, and so on.

If anyone else has a solution I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

October 22nd, 2014 10:00

As it turns out, I have nothing to complain about. The Calibration Solution software is something I was only attempting to run because it was included on the drivers CD with the new monitor. I was not aware that it is intended only to work with specific calibration hardware that I do not own (but now I may consider purchasing. Though I already own a different calibrator so perhaps I won't change over. It's still true that the program does not function well on a high DPI display, and that this is particularly troublesome when it's Dell's own supplied program with its own monitor. But Dell's not alone here, many providers have been caught out by Microsoft's scaling APIs since Windows 8 and 8.1.

No Events found!