Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2014 10:00

UP2414Q won't reliably resume from sleep or reboot using mDP to DP cable

Monitor = UP2414Q
Video card = Sapphire R9 270
Cable = Dell mDP to DP
Computer = i5 CPU,  32GB
Operating System = Windows 7 64bit (latest drivers, bios etc.)
Display set to 3840x2160 - DP 1.2
No other monitors, video cards or associated drivers are installed.

Monitor is brand new. I have 30 years of experience, building, programming, administering a huge variety of PC systems.  I know the difference between hardware, BIOS, firmware, drivers. etc. About half the time, the monitor will not properly resume from the computer being asleep, or from a warm or cold reboot of the system, i.e.  The monitor will need to be powered off and powered back on for the display to resume, and/or the display will resume in an incorrect resolution and the AMD video card drivers will display one of the following messages:
1)   "The system as detected a problem with the connection between your computer and the displayport display the will prevent you from using the highest resolutions and/or refresh rates..."
or
2) "The system has detected and link failure and cannot set the requested resolution on your displayport display..."

Since the display will often be blank during reboot (no BIOS messages displayed, monitor power-off/power-on required), before windows has started, it does not have anything to do with Windows, drivers or any other software. This points to a hardware and/or firmware/video card bios issue between the video card and monitor. Correct DP 1.2 communication is not occuring consistently.

I am waiting for the arrival of a new accell displayport 1.2 cable that I've ordered to see if that helps.

Please advise what video cards have been tested with this monitor to work correctly using 3840x2160 60hz, DP 1.2.

Please advise if there is a monitor firmware update available to address this issue.

Please advise what other steps I can take to resolve the issue.

38 Posts

February 9th, 2014 17:00

It works correctly on my setup.

My specs

Monitor = UP2414Q
Video card = Asus GTX760 CU2 2GB
Cable = Dell mDP to DP
Computer = i7 CPU,  32GB
Operating System = Windows 8.1 64bit (latest drivers, bios etc.)
Display set to 3840x2160 - DP 1.2

Another Dell 2413hm connected via MSI GD80 HDMI. I had issues in December, not sure if this was solved or not, but I haven't gotten around to connecting both monitors to GTX.

10 Posts

February 10th, 2014 11:00

Thanks ip6,  

So you have "1.2" mode selected in the Dell monitor settings menu?    (Default setting is 1.1 - you get 3840x2160 but it's at 30hz)

Have you run successfully without the second monitor/card - just the UP2414Q at 1.2?  

Does your system "sleep" or "hibernate"?       

What were the issues you had earlier?    

Thanks for any additional info. 

38 Posts

February 10th, 2014 12:00

Hi yes,

set to 1.2 in osd

windows verify 60hz

and no half screen logon issues. 

no wakeup issues from turning off monitor or sleeping.

i id have all the issues you mention earlier but all ok now

38 Posts

if it helps i could upload detailed info of hw specs

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

ennss & ipv6ready,

For my notes, please post your monitor 20 digit serial PPID number.

38 Posts

hi Chris, 

is there an easy way to get that info? 

38 Posts

from calibration report

CN0RMV6X744453BL025L

tester 2 if that helps

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

Check the label on rear/bottom. The team is investigating this. For now, can you set it to DP1.1/30Hz/3840x2160 so you do not have to deal with the issues while this is being worked?

10 Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

Mine is CN06X55C744453BR269L

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2014 08:00

We do not have this issue using our older Dell OEM WHQL AMD driver. From the description, it sounds like the retail AMD driver has a bug in handling the Tiled display through DisplayID1.3. Our monitor cannot change the OS, so we think it is the AMD driver that needs to be fixed.

10 Posts

February 12th, 2014 09:00

We do not have this issue using our older Dell OEM WHQL AMD driver. From the description, it sounds like the retail AMD driver has a bug in handling the Tiled display through DisplayID1.3. Our monitor cannot change the OS, so we think it is the AMD driver that needs to be fixed.

The problem also happens at computer post, before display drivers are loaded, so this cannot be the entire explanation.

Please advise:

1) Which AMD video card and video bios version was used

2) Version and download location of the Dell OEM AMD drivers used.

And are you saying that the OS (firmware) of the Dell UP2414Q cannot be changed/upgraded?

Thanks for your effort and replies!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2014 06:00

Which AMD video card and video bios version was used?
* AMD Radeon R9 270
* Bios version 015.037.000.001
* Bios date 8/9/13
* Alienware Aurora-R4
* Windows 7 64bit

Version and download location of the Dell OEM AMD drivers used.
* 13.152.0.0000,A00
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=21VJ0

And are you saying that the OS (firmware) of the Dell UP2414Q cannot be changed/upgraded?
* Not by you. It can only be done in our factories. We cannot take your monitor back to the factory and flash it and then send it back to you. If the flash program were to start, you could only get a flashed monitor via a used exchange. But this program is still in the talking stage.

2 Posts

February 14th, 2014 11:00

I'm having the same issues as described with the people above. I'm using three Nvidia Titans in 3-Way SLI. I've tried a few different cables with no success. I'll try and respond tonight with my 20 digit number for your record keeping purchases.

I should mention that I'm using the latest EVGA BIOS on my Titans, and I'm using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia (I've used 4 driver versions, on two different PCs 4930k/4770k as well)

I did purchase an extended 5 year warranty so I would assume if you had to send me a replacement through a flash program (if one is offered) then I imagine my warranty would stay intact?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2014 19:00

clayton006,

The original 5 year start and end dates would apply to any monitor exchange.

3-way SLI, EVGA Titans connected to a single UP2414Q? The Titans have one full size DP per card, correct? Have you tested the Dell mDP to DP cable on all three video card DP? Test all three video card DP in both DP1.1 and DP1.2. Do you have on hand a DP to DP cable to run the same test using our UP2414Q full size DP?

2 Posts

February 15th, 2014 13:00

Yes they do have one full size DP per card. I've been using a full DP monoprice 15" cable before, and the mini-DP one.

I've switched to using a 6ft full DP cable that came with one of my 3008wfp monitors back in the day. I think it has somewhat helped. I still have occasionally the split screen issue when resume from monitor sleep (but I can live with this by just going to "blank" screen saver for now).

So far the monitor has not cut out on me in games, even when changing resolution when the game launches (streaming to my shield at 1080p, as before the monitor would cut out mid game and go 1/2 screen and or just go black and cause a hard reboot of the entire system). So far I haven't had to unplug and plug back in to fix the monitor going 1/2 screen when resuming from sleep.

Next I will order an Accell cable (10ft or less) and see if that resolves the resume from monitor sleep issue.

I may try all three titans as well, but they are water cooled and I'd rather not have to reorder them if Windows or UEFI doesn't like me plugging the monitor into nothing but the top card.

Any other things to try? Seems like the smaller / different cable helped.

No Events found!