Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2016 05:00

UP2516D, might have tinting issues?

Hello all,

I am the recent owner of a Dell UP2516D with PremierColor. Allegedly, in my opinion. But more about this, later.

Firmware version is M3T102. The monitor is connected via supplied DP1.2 cable to MacMini7,1 (late 2014) running on OS X 10.11.4 "El Capitan". MST is off.

The short story: if I select Preset Modes -> Color Preset -> AdobeRGB, then the Uniformity Compensation goes Off(unselectable) and the left half has a greenish tint, and the right half of the screen has a pinkish tint. (We're not talking here about hardware(DUCCS) or GPU calibration, yet, just the default settings).

Now the question(s): is this the expected behaviour? Is this something that can be fixed or should I return the monitor for warranty? Is there anybody on this forum kind enough to set his/hers UP2516D monitor like the above and confirm if s/he sees the same issue? Pretty please :).

Thanks!

Cristian.

(P.S. I'm an CS engineer, photographer and OS X addict, so hit me with all the geeky slang and info you might have.)

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

May 4th, 2016 09:00

With all this "good enough" mid-range manufacturers like Dell or Benq, you'll always face some "uncertain" regarding color uniformity of the monitor you had purchased. Some will be great, others not so good. With other mid-range manufacturers to get a good one it's like to win Lottery.

With the same amout of money, you could afford a mid-range Eizo CS240 (650euro in some stores) with a proper uniformity compensation feature. It's like a U2413 but without some of its limitations. Of course you can roll dice again and may get a UP2716D/UP2516D unit with good (or even awesome) color uniformity... but it will a dice roll.

Also, get rid of that Spyder4 (or 5) ASAP... it cannot measure properly a UP2716D nor a PA272W nor a CS240 because they are GB-LED, like these dells are.

BTW: that awful banding after GPU calibration maybe just "partially" caused (or not at all) by your Spyder... the culprit is Intel iGPU, and the same will hapen with a geforce. If you want to use calibration in GPU LUT without that banding issues, then you need a display output driven directly* from an AMD (Radeon or Firepro) or a nvidia Quadro.
The funny thing is that PC users only need to buy a low-end 70€ AMD card to ged rid of that issues... but mac mini (iGPU) and 2-3 year old? 27" iMacs (geforce) users are hopeless dealing with GPU calibration: they wont' do it properly, hardware limitation.
It's your situation, with that mini your only hope is to use monitor's internal calibration (i1Displaypro), and if you had a 2 year old iMac 27" with a 780M GTX you would have suffered the same issues. If you buy a CS240, color navigation allows to use Spyder4... but it will be a highly innacurate calibration... since Spyder4 (or 5) is a highly innacurate device.

So it seems that you need to get rid of that Spyder in all of your options.

*=laptops with AMD/Quadro dedicated graphics may use iGPU to drive ouputs (with its GPU LUTs) in order to save battery, discrete graphic chip is just to aid with computing when needed... so it is very likely that they will suffer banding too if calibrate in GPU.

May 13th, 2016 12:00

No rest for the wicked... I picked up my monitor today, and results were:

1. First monitor had the 3H coating scratched by this: http://imgur.com/zAGxYix Somehow the plastic thingie has edges sharp enough to do that, if the handling during transportation was rough. Dell guys, you might want to look into this: please place that sticker somewhere else, not directly on the surface of the screen.

2. Second monitor... was from the same A00 lot, August 2015. Apparently, the guys from the depot looked at a different 01, which was the box number from the shipping parcel, and 17 March 2016 was the shipping date. So my above info about the existence of an A01 is not accurate, it was just a misunderstanding. YMMV.

But, luckily for me, this one is a keeper: it has virtually no backlight bleed(i.e. when watching a movie shot in anamorphic format), the left-right differences are way better(but not inexisting; but they no longer distract my attention).

I will be back with details about the calibration results with i1D Pro, once I rent it again.

23 Posts

May 3rd, 2016 12:00

Hi Cristian,

i had the same experience, without uniformity comp on its awful. I ended up buying a xrite i1 display pro and calibrating it with argyll / displaycal. Have a look at this thread I opened some weeks ago, maybe it'll help you to get more out of your new monitor.

en.community.dell.com/.../19679044

Best,

Chris

May 3rd, 2016 14:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the heads-up. I've read your post, and I've tried to replicate your setup, however I am using a Datacolor Spyder 4 PRO AND my GPU is Intel Iris(being a Mac Mini late 2014), so...I'm stuck in a worse predicament than yours. That is, with the GPU calibration with the (allegedly) sub-par Spyder 4 PRO on an Intel Iris Graphics...the colour banding is annoying. 

And then I've come across this thread, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19675282 I've checked the back of my monitor, and it is also manufactured in August 2015, Rev. A00. There was this folk, ARTUR / @araujoa that mentioned that his first replacement fixed the tint(at the expense of a heavier backlight bleed).

I have the option to get a replacement from the store, since I got the display a week and something ago, but I don't know if/what newer revision exists :(. And I am not sure if Dell staff can release this info(since they have to sell those A00 monitors, too).

I will sleep this one off, see if I can come up with the best course of action.

Cheers,

Cristian.

May 4th, 2016 14:00

Thanks, yumichan! It seems that you are the star of this forum, when it comes to monitors and such! :) Dell owes you big time :))

Anyway, guess who took a trip to the camera store to rent the i1 Display Pro puck? I will try another GPU calibration, hopefully the banding will be less obvious. Hardware calibration isn't an option: without uniformity compensation, the differences between left and right side, tinting-wise, are too obvious and it bothers the *** out of my peripheral vision. I will save a 5x3 uniformity check readout with the i1DP for our Dell friends, to show them how their monitor behaves in sRGB and AdobeRGB modes.

In all honesty, I should have settled for a good >99% sRGB display... No matter how much I try to edit my photos with care, creating profiles for my camera and so on...customers will still see them on 1366x768 laptop displays, with roughly 75% sRGB coverage...

Cheers.

C.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

May 5th, 2016 01:00

Another trick is to use your Spyder with ArgyllCMS (USB driver needed), and feed that Spyder4 with a GB-LED spectral correction from i1DisplayPro (called "RG_phosphor" if you want to use the ones from Xrite). This will solve the lack of support for GB-LEDs in Datacolor products... but will not solve the poor inter instrument agreement from their devices.

"In all honesty, I should have settled for a good >99% sRGB display... No matter how much I try to edit my photos with care, creating profiles for my camera and so on...customers will still see them on *** 1366x768 laptop displays, with roughly 75% sRGB coverage..."
The cool feature of these Dells and other LUT3D HW calibratable monitors is that you can calibrate your UP2516D to mimic that kind of 75% sRGB cool bluish white from low end displays.
For example;

CAL1=HW calibration to "standard sRGB"

CAL2=HW calibration to mimic gamut from a display with lime-green 75% sRGB coverage (green primary moved to yellow from sRGB green) and bluish-cian white

Custom Color = GPU calibration to D50, full gamut, 160/m2 for printing (ISO 12646)

And with "Dell Display Manager" (at least on windows) you can switch between these modes with 2 mouse clicks.

May 8th, 2016 02:00

Wow,

That i1DP is fast! It was done within the hour with the same settings that took Spyder4 roughly 4 hours to measure and compute. But still far from perfect...

Anyway, I returned the monitor. I will check with the reseller if there's a newer revision/production date monitor in stock at the 1st tier Dell distributor in the country. And now I'm picking my monitor in person; the Mac Mini is mini enough to take it in my backpack :)). 

Curious how the Uniformity Report looked like with Uniformity Compensation disabled: drive.google.com/.../view;? That's because selecting either AdobeRGB or sRGB modes disables it... that's insane.

Cheers,

C.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

May 8th, 2016 03:00

If you want "all greeen lights" then you have to pay for it: NEC PA models, Eizo CG models or perhaps CS240. Otherwise you won't because these green-red validation is based on ISO 12646:2015 which non premium models will find very hard to meet.

But even with "red lights" it could have a good enough unifotmity and "usually" it's a mistake to inspect uniformity in the way you did: that report is in dE (tint + brightness), you should check tinting issues in deltaC (clicking on a cell of that table). It's pretty common and even unavoidable that "non premium" monitors bigger or equal than 24" have -10% brightness in corners. dE values will reflect that... but your problem was tinting (deltaC, color uniformity).

May 8th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

That's good to know. Anyway, that's the way DisplayCAL lists that report, I did not try to click inside the cells, just printed it as PDF :). The real problem is that left half was shifting towards green and the right half was shifting towards magenta in such a way that it was clearly visible to the naked eye and bothered me a lot; I could not concentrate because even my peripheral vision picked up the differences. 

You know what bothers me now? Is that marketing materials from Dell did not mention all the details you have. Where's the fine print? I am really that guilty/gullible for believing Dell that UP2516D could offer, quote:

Dell UltraSharp 25 Monitor | UP2516D

Professional-grade color

Count on consistent, accurate colors right out of the box with Dell PremierColor. Custom color modifications, incredible color depth and a wide color gamut meet your precise, professional standards.

Wide color coverage: The new Dell UltraSharp 25 Monitor with PremierColor offers 100% Adobe RGB and 100% sRGB as well as two new color spaces: 100% REC 709 and 98% DCI-P3, which are ideal for video editors during post-production work and animation designers who deal with color-critical projects.
Precise, accurate colors: Each monitor comes factory-color calibrated with a deltaE of less than 2, making any color differences between the desired color and onscreen color indistinguishable to the human eye.
User-enabled adjustments: Dell's software development kit, or SDK, enables customers with a proprietary color solution to customize Dell UltraSharp Monitors with their preferred specifications. You can also fine-tune color parameters, including RGBCMY saturation,RGBCMY hue, RGB and RGB offset.
Extensive color gamut: You’ll appreciate a high level of detail – even in dark areas – with a color depth of 1.07 billion colors, That’s approximately 64 times more colors than standard monitors.

Unparalleled viewing experience

Enjoy an exceptional viewing experience made possible by ultrathin bezels, outstanding clarity, and ultrawide viewing.
Seamless setup: Experience virtually seamless viewing across a dual- or multiple-monitor setup thanks to ultrathin bezels.
Stunning resolution: Get amazing clarity with QHD resolution (2560 x 1440) for exceptional viewing on an expansive 25-inch screen with in-plane switching.
Ultrawide angles: View consistent colors from every direction across an ultrawide 178°/178° viewing angle. Tilt, swivel or pivot clockwise or counter-clockwise to tailor this height-adjustable monitor to suit your needs.

?

Important text in bold... Because, honestly, you have no reason to think you can't have all the green lights at that price point from the way they market this monitor... Indistinguishable to the human eye my

C.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

May 8th, 2016 05:00

I agree with you that if you had disgusting color unifomity easy to spot by naked eye, then you should return it. I agree with you too that QC issues on these mid-range monitors are too high.

I just say that an "all green" ISO 12646:2015 report on CAL1/CAL2 is very unlikely to happen on any widegamut Dell. You have to move to premium models if want that quality control. They use the same IPS panels than your Dell but they reject panels (from LG) not meeting premium requirements and they pay for it.
But that does not mean that you cannot have a mid-cost monitor with "good uniformity". If tinting is not "very disgusting" upon eye inspection, then check deltaC values because there will be at least one or two "red lights" (ISO requirements) in CAL1/CAL2 or other presets without uniformity compensation.

May 9th, 2016 01:00

I've just read that at some point Dell intended to make the Uniformity Compensation as both factory calibrated, and user calibrated: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell_u2713h/P1000897.JPG Here, on Dell U2713H.

But they scratched that idea. I wonder why? Is not like they have a premium segment you can buy into, so they were afraid you could uniformity calibrate cheaper monitors to match the performance of those...

But is alright. It's all right. I'm staying at home for a few months, so I can play the exchange game with our Dell friends. Since they don't even bother to read all threads on this forum.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 9th, 2016 08:00

Forum policy note, all profanity has been removed. We do read all of the threads. But we also trust yumichan and other Forum Rockstar's to give good, honest advice. So we rarely post on threads that he is working. We do not receive prior data on what revisions (A00, A01, etc.) are shipping. I only gather the data as customers post it.

May 9th, 2016 09:00

I don't remember seeing any profanity, but then, again, this is a vague term, and one's definition of profanity might differ between cultures, especially considering what is deemed "beep"-worthy on British versus US television.

Anyway, good news. I found a newer revision of the UP2516D monitor, A01, manufactured on 17 march 2016! :emotion-2: I am looking forward to going to the store on Friday and test it on spot. If the colour uniformity is improved, I will definitely be taking it home and I will post more info, hopefully this will help others, too.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 9th, 2016 10:00

Understood. To help clarify, this is a G rated USA Forum.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

May 10th, 2016 06:00

2013 & 2016 Dells hace different UC policies and each one has its drawbacks.

-2013s locked brightness & contrast at 50% (too bright!) and cannot be enabled in CAL1/CAL2

-2016s locked white point where UC is avaliable

A proper implementation of UC is tricky:

-comes at the expense of contrast. When you have a bad uniformity panel that means more contrast to loose. Only NEC uses a several step UC where you choose the tradeoff, Eizo doesn't.

-if panel's native response (uncalibrated) has not a neutral grey it may cause "level curves" to appear (like in a mountain map) if "simple" UC mechanisms are used to map the screen. Not cool of you have to deal with GPU calibration, I've seen that, not cool at all.

So in the end UC can solve uniformity issues of a "A-" or "B+" panels, that means more QC and reject more panels to manufacturer (LG) and that means more money (or advanced pixel mapping for UC, but taht means more money too).

Of course this is not an excuse of current QC issues in mid-range monitors. I'm just explaing what lies beneath that feature. If you see some prad.de's reviews you'll see what happens when a B- or C+ panel is "UC'ed" to meet "good" uniformity : 600:1 near native white or even less for several 1500 euro devices... bad deal unless you use them just for print evaluation.

No Events found!