Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 22:00

UP2516D, uniformity, discussion

@DELL-Chris M wrote:

* Turn the room lights on. Dell monitors are not validated in a dark room. All monitors are inspected per industry standard, which is with 150lux ambient lighting (similar to typical office lighting)
* Post pictures of the standalone BID (Built-in Diagnostics), page 56, and I will tell you if it meets our manufacturer specifications for overall uniformity

Chris,

For relative perspective, this Wikipedia chart says typical home living room lighting is 50 lux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

The nVidia GeForce Forum website has black background with low-intensity green and grey text.  That site undoubtedly attracts a high concentration of discriminating graphics professionals and enthusiasts.  I think you'll agree, that dark low-contrast site is designed to be best viewed in a low ambient environment.  A dark room.

https://forums.geforce.com/

Are the "manufacturer specifications" you mention available to the public?  They would be a helpful resource for customers to decide which Dell monitor would best suit their viewing requirements.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 22:00

229899-Lawrence-Livermore-National-Lab-case-study-1260x709.jpg
(from https://www.amd.com/en)

Here's a real-world example of a reduced-light computing environment.

Notice how the monitor is casting a shadow of that one fellow onto the wall.

Maybe that shadow actually came from the camera lighting.
Imagine how much dimmer the room actually is, minus that camera lighting.

No IPS glow from those black corners.
They probably spent a few dollars more on their monitor than I would be willing to.  chuckle.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
But still.  The point is, low ambient environment.  Dark room.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 16th, 2019 11:00

this Wikipedia chart says typical home living room lighting is 50 lux.
* That is not Dell policy which is what we must follow.

Are the "manufacturer specifications" you mention available to the public? They would be a helpful resource for customers to decide which Dell monitor would best suit their viewing requirements.
* No.

* Go back to the top of this Monitor Forum
* Open, "FAQ Monitor (updated 3/18/19)"
* Open, "Backlight or Color/Tint Uniformity policy"

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

April 17th, 2019 00:00

I do not know what happened but my message lost all line breaks. Is there some incompatibility with Firefox and javascript used in Dell forums?

I use Chrome for the Lithium Forum. But all of my composing is done via Notepad, then copied into the Chrome browser. Are you composing within Firefox? If yes, test Chrome and Edge to see if the same line break issue shows for you.
DELL-Chris M

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

April 17th, 2019 00:00

If you own a widegamut like UP2516D you should own an i1DisplayPro, otherwise your monitor is an useless tool. <= THIS IS IMPORTANT Since i1DisplayPro is a HID device it doe not need special drivers to use it, it's like a mouse/keyboard. Download & install ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL. Run DisplayCAL once with your i1d3 plugged in. It will ask for ArgyllCMS location, give it the path to ArgyllCMS' "bin" folder, or use the auto donload option. With all this stuff installed run an "Uniformity report" (5x5 measurements across the screen), it will save report in an HTML file. Default verification is dE00 uniformity against ISO rules (I do not remember the exact ISO rule, google). It is very very very unlikey that low cost monitor like these dells or benqs, or lg or asus are going to get a "PASS" in this test.... but it does not mean that you cannot use them if your monitor meets a more relaxed criteria. So change verification in report from "ISO XXX dE00" to "DeltaC". More than 3dC in a cell (with exception of the 4 cells in corners) means not worthly. Return for refund and try again with another unit. All of them should be under 2dC for color tints... but let's use the less than 3dC relaxed approach. If all this "return for refund and try again" is not acceptable, get an Eizo CS or a NEC PA.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2019 01:00

Thanks for the info.

About this forum editor.  I just tested pasting plaintext and also html markup from the FF clipboard buffer.  It seems this forum editor automatically parses the html markup, and rejects it if it contains any styled blocks.  (it gives a red message saying invalid html).  But either way, I wasn't able to repro it stripping newlines from FF.  (CRLF or
respectively).  I'm going to guess maybe your reply was pasted with "<" and ">" in an arbitrary non-html aware way, that might have tricked up this forum's parser.  Did you type it in, or paste it from an external editor?  I didn't try to goof up the parser with invalid html.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 17th, 2019 13:00

@yumichan wrote:

I do not know what happened but my message lost all line breaks. Is there some incompatibility with Firefox and javascript used in Dell forums?

I use Chrome for the Lithium Forum. But all of my composing is done via Notepad, then copied into the Chrome browser. Are you composing within Firefox? If yes, test Chrome and Edge to see if the same line break issue shows for you.
DELL-Chris M

Ah.  Now I remember where I've seen it happen.  In MSDN (microsoft dev forum) when the censor-robot deletes something profane or even unflattering or critical.  When their robot does that, all formatting including newlines gets stripped from the post.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2019 07:00

MS-Labs.png

Here's a photo from inside Microsoft.  The lighting seems pretty subdued in there.

The fellow over there on the right, he has a lighting silhouette on his right shoulder and hair.
An unseen monitor on the left is casting light and shadow onto the wall.
The monitors all seem dimmed significantly, don't they?
OMG white background apps in that dim environment.  No wonder those monitors are dimmed.
The monitor on the left has an irregular fluorescent reflection that shows its relative dimness.
If you look closely, you can barely make out the DELL logo on its bezel.  See that?

I'm wondering, Chris.
Would this be suitable lighting for Dell uniformity testing?
Or would you advise them to turn up the lights.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 28th, 2019 05:00

Hard to say. Strange backlight on his head. They all appear bluish in the picture.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 28th, 2019 09:00

It's because the digital photography brightened the scene.
You can tell by how over-exposed the reflection from that one monitor is.
It's dark as a cave in that Microsoft lab.

No Events found!