Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2016 10:00

UP2716D Color Calibration

I recently purchased a Dell UP2716D monitor. What would be the best way to color correct it? I have an Colormunki Display but am having some issues. When I edit photos and view them on my iphone, they are different shades. It looks more vibrant and warm on my iphone. Is this correct?

I selected AdobeRGB via the OSD display. Should I have selected something else?

I am running OSX 10.11 w./ an Amd video card (10bit color).

23 Posts

May 17th, 2016 02:00

Hi Paul,

i also have bought the DELL UP2716D recently and I use it for photo editing and DTP but I don't have an iphone. I'm running Windows 7 also. I can suggest you calibrate your new monitor using the ColorMunki with Argyll / Displaycal. AFAIK you can use spectral corrections of the I1D pro with your Munki. The best monitor profile (set via monitor osd) to start with is probably "color temp => 6500K" and Uniformity correction to ON.

There are several threads in this forum already about the UP2716D. One was started by me a while ago and you could probably find some more helpful infos regarding calibration with displaycal / argyll there.

en.community.dell.com/.../19679044

Good Luck,

Chris from Vienna 

5 Posts

May 17th, 2016 08:00

B4CKSTEIN:  Thank you so much for your help. I did follow your link before and did the steps you mentioned. I received a nice 99.3% on Adobe RGB with DisplayCAL.

My buddy dropped off his iDisplay Pro as well. Is there any additional benefit of using this? Will I get a greater color accuracy? Will I somehow hit 100% Adobe RGB?

It seems, as I have said before there is a slight blue hint to the monitor at times. I actually went to a photo store and saw their Eizo displays have the same tint...so I don't know if this is a result of wide gamut and I am just not used to it.

Finally, I am still stuck on the color differences on an Apple device and my screen. Is this something I will have to live with? Perhaps Yumichan can chime in here.

23 Posts

May 26th, 2016 04:00

Hi! Happy to hear you get better results with your monitor now. 6500K is slightly blueish anyway. If you have a warm ambient light, like normal wolfram lightbulbs (around 3000k) it will look even more blueish to you. I recommend you "truelight" with 5000k or similar for your workspace. It probably takes some time to get used to it but it will make it a lot easyier to judge colors.

I don't think it matters if you use the munky or i1dpro. I read that the sensors of the 2 devices are the same but i1d pro should be a bit faster when calibrating but you probably won't get better adobeRGB coverage after calibration. Imho 99,3 % is already really good. Be sure to make a verification of the profile with displayCAL so you can check which colors and neutrals are the least accurate.

What concerns your Iphone you could try this app called "colorTrue" that calibrates the screen using your munki or i1dpro, i havent tried it out with my android phone yet but maybe it'll help you:

http://blog.xritephoto.com/2014/03/x-rite-colortrue-color-management-ipads-tablets-smartphones/

Best,

Chris

5 Posts

May 27th, 2016 06:00

I ended up using the Dell software for the initial calibration....and recalibrating over that with DisplayCal. The dell software has a bug on OSX where it can not match your target luminance...it usually achieved 15 lumens under...so I target a 135 and it will hit a target of 120...which works.

I ran DisplayCal over that calibration ...which gave me slightly better accuracy with a sacrifice to contrast..which still works fine. 

I tried the ColorTrue app...but I still had mismatched colors from the screen to my iphone. I gave up on this one.

OSX also has a problem reading large LUT tables apparantly.

23 Posts

I just noticed there are already several user made colorimeter corrections for Argyll / Displaycal available for the UP2716D on the displaycal website. Maybe some of you wants to give them a shot:

colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

23 Posts

For me it didnt make sense to use Dell DUCS for calibration at all - because I'd lose Uniformity Compensation when using CAL1 or CAL2 monitor presets!!! Please check if UC is still enabled on your monitor OSD, that would be a big surprise! Without UC the monitor is IMHO unusable because colors and luminance are not uniform over the display. Did you already make a uniformity test using displaycal?

Is there even color management on the Iphone, I mean does it read image profiles? I'd try to saving a file in SRGB instead of adobeRGB also and try to look at it again on the iphone. Maybe browsers and other viewing apps also are different from each other.

Best,

Chris

5 Posts

May 27th, 2016 07:00

I think UC is turned off...because when I just loaded the Unformity Checker i got some nasty results in the corners of the screen. 

I think I will go back to the method you mentioned before...just setting the color balance and going from there. It's a bit crazy that UC is turned off for hardware calibration.  I  think it's HILARIOUS that i get a reading of 120.64 cd in the center...but 109-102 cd on every other part of the monitor. THANKS DELL.

23 Posts

May 27th, 2016 07:00

you're right - as it is now DUCS is no good and it doesn't make sense to use it at this point. I hope that Dell will at least implement UC for CAL1 and CAL2 presets via the next firmware upgrade because right now IMHO its NOT usable without Argyll / Displaycal calibration - at least not for color sensitive work.

2 Posts

April 11th, 2017 15:00

Sorry to hijack a reignite an old thread, I'm having the same issue.

Essentially I'm trying to calibrate to AdobeRGB and D65 and 120 luminance.

Whenever I use DUCCS, I can't seem to hit 6500k at all - it always comes out at around 6300k.  To be fair DUCCS is giving me all sorts of weird results.

i1 Profiler doesn't seem to allow me to specify that I want to Calibrate to AdobeRGB whereas DUCCS does in the drop down.

I've read multiple threads on here, your other one included b4ckstein and noticed you've used DisplayCAL.

It seems DisplayCAL is the way to go.  But to do that I have all sorts of questions.

What state should be my monitor be in to start with before calibrating?  Let's assume I'm starting out of the box.  And in Control Panel > Colour Management, I've got nothing other than the UP2716D.icm as the display profile.

Where do I go from here to get to AdobeRGB, D65, 120cd/m?

b4ckstein - I noticed in your instructions in this thread en.community.dell.com/.../20922452 that you initially set the OSD of the monitor to Colour Temp - 6500k and you still had UC enabled at the end of your calibration?  I don't understand how you've done this - everytime I run a DisplayCAL calibration, at some point it asks me to manually adjust the RGB/Brightness controls, and everytime I attempt to do that, I have to turn off the UC otherwise it doesn't let me tweak RGB/Brightness Sliders??

So ultimately my question is can somebody guide me through calibrating to AdobeRGB, D65, 120 cd/m, using either DUCCS, i1Profiler or DisplayCAL to get the most accurate result using the assumptions I'm starting from an out of the box factory calibrated display with default display profiles etc?

I'm also hoping Yumichan appears at some point?  Moderators - if this needs to be a new thread then let me know.

Any help greatly appreciated and can we also assume I'm not experienced in Calibration terminology at all just so nothing goes over my head

No Events found!