Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2017 16:00

UP2716D, calibration issues

Hi, 

I bought the UP2716D Monitor a couple months ago, for professional graphics work and have for the life of me not been able to calibrate the monitor.

Thumbnails in windows (10)  look colorful, but as soon as I open them in Photoshop, or even windows image viewer the colors, saturation and temp all change. It makes consistent work impossible as I'm never sure what my clients are seeing, or if my feedback is accurate.  And working between multiple programs is a nightmare.

The monitor has so far been a very expensive paperweight.  I've tried calibrating with driver updates, in Photoshop and in the windows color manager with out any success.  I'm very disappointed with this as I expected the calibration tools would be included.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 9th, 2017 09:00

Hi there-

Have you seen any of these suggestions/links yet?

The UP2716D can be calibrated by using the X-rite software located here or by using an X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter available at this link

The User’s Guide at this link might offer some more insight but it sounds like you might have tried it but you can also look support page here for additional tips.

Unfortunately if some software is overriding the calibation you will want to make sure that is not happening (either by looking at the video driver software/program itself, unless you calibrated the color there as well).

One thing to note that once you have everything calibrated correctly (and this is what I recall as I am not an expert on editing) is it will not guarantee your clients are seeing the same thing unless their display is calibrated as well, but what it will guarantee though is that a print made on quality printer/paper should print the same as what you're seeing on the screen and will keep you consistent on your work. I am sure you're aware of this but just wanted to clarify. 

I hope this helps

Best regards,

Brad

9 Posts

May 9th, 2017 15:00

Hi Brad,

thanks for the info.

I've downloaded the latest driver, and have tried to update the firmware using x-rite, following the instructions, but it just keeps saying Monitor not detected, even though windows sees the monitor just fine.The only help offered in the manual says, "try turning it off and on again" Which doesn't help. 

I will attach another image to show just how extreme the differences are. For a week now I have been giving my colleague the wrong feedback on this illustration. I work remotely, so the only way I can view the work right now is on this Dell monitor. It's effectively halted my ability to work, if it's not fixed immediately I will be forced to buy a new monitor and get rid of the Dell.

Cheers

West

9 Posts

May 9th, 2017 18:00

In addition to my last post

I've been trying to fix it for the last 4 hours, download and installed all updates and drivers possible, X-rite still does not find the monitor.

note: Windows10 does see the monitor, and lists it in the display settings.

Also I am using a AMD R9 285 GPU running the monitor via the HDMI, I've read this may also cause issues. In the Raedeon settings the GPU also recognises the monitor but has not settings that I can find in regards to image callibration.

It only links to the windows monitor calibration tool. Which also doesn't work - it asks me to move some slide bars to set the gamma, but when I do, the screen begins to adjust itself, almost as if it's trying to reset back to some defined settings.

I currently have every setting I can find set to (AdobeRGB1998)

But still all images are appearing different.

In Photoshop, if I want the image I am working on to appear as they do online. I need to use Monitor RGB color space. however, if I save the image and upload it, it looks terrible. If I use normal color space, then the image is very desaturated and yellowish.

I'm about to throw this thing out the window. I could understand if the screen had some small conflicts on outdated systems or in obscure programs, but I am running Photoshop on Windows, perhaps the most popular OS and image editing suite in the world. This is ridiculous.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 10th, 2017 09:00

Let me see if I can find anything else on this, do you have a way to use DisplayPort (DP) instead of HDMI? I am pretty sure your GPU has DP and mDP options as well. I just wanted to see if this changed anything w/ regards to the software seeing the monitor.

One other question are you running any additional software for the monitor setup?

Let me know if anything has changed, and sorry the calibration hasn't been easy.

Best regards,

Brad  

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 10th, 2017 10:00

Also, have you seen this FW update?

I checked with Chris who is a monitor expert on the forums at Dell and he let me know that you will really want to have that X-Rite colorimeter to be accurate, and in addition to the FW update you will want to run these steps:

For a failed to connect. No matching displays found issue:

* Once DUCCS is installed, use the Application Info: "Check for update now" button to update to the latest version. When done, restart the computer
* Press the Menu button to open monitor's On Screen Display (OSD)
    - Go to Other Settings- Factory Reset- Reset All Settings
    - Go to Displays or Display Settings and disable DP 1.2/MST
    - Go to Color Settings- Preset Modes
* Choose Color Space
- Highlight/check either Cal1 or Cal2
* Exit the OSD
* The monitor USB upstream cable must be connected to the computer USB port
* In a two or more monitor setup, only ONE monitor should be connected to the computer at a time when calibrating
* The X-Rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter should be tested in TWO ways =
Test it on all of the computer USB downstream ports
Test it on all of the monitor bottom USB downstream ports

As noted from him, without the use of the colorimeter you cannot obrain the most accurate colors for this type of work. And from my personal experience this is the case in any work setting dealing with graphics, hopefully though with these changes you can at least get a lot closer to what you need. 

So for now go ahead and try the FW update and if possible try a DisplayPort cable just to see if it changes the editing options (in addition to the steps above). 

I hope this helps, and I apologize for the experience you're experiencing with the calibration.

Best regards,

Brad

9 Posts

May 10th, 2017 13:00

Hi Brad,

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

I realise the color will never be accurate with out the scanning device, but as long as it's consistent and "close enough" to my colleagues monitors, I would be able to work at least.

I've tried now with the DP cable, reinstalled x-rite, it automatically updates itself once installed.

restarted, did all the OSD settings, etc

I also turned off my antivirus during all of this and uninstalled anything programs or drivers that could possibly create conflicts.

Unfortunately X-rite still does not see the monitor, and the colors are still messed. When I plug in the USB it does make the "bling" sound, so windows knows something is connected.

I've also tried saving images "for web" in photoshop, before uploading my work. That doesn't help either. Another strange thing is the loss of details I am experiencing. When I get an image in to Photoshop and need to ramp the saturation a bit, a lot of the details get lost.

This means I have to work in monitor space, to see the correct colors, but when I save or post the work it changes to something else, very low contrast, desaturated, lost detail, etc.

another thing I've realised is that images I view in my gmail using Chrome browser, look different depending on the format. Jpeg's look very faded, but PNG and PSD look vibrant, very close to the original. but once I download them and view them in windows image viewer of Photoshop, then they all have faded colors and low contrast.

Tomorrow I will be getting a cheap IPS monitor as I can't afford to spend more time on this. it's already been 3 days without work which for a freelancer means, 3 days wages lost.

Is it possible the fault is with the monitor itself,

How could this be determined?

Cheers

West

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 11th, 2017 11:00

Hi West- Thanks for the updates, and sorry to hear about the continued issues. Were you able to try the firmware update that might help address this? I would try that (just in case) because it is definitely worth a shot. 

Let me know if you have any different luck on the other monitor as well. 

Best regards,

Brad

9 Posts

May 11th, 2017 11:00

Hi Brad,

Yes I have tried. The program does not find the Monitor.

I've tried both HDMI and DPm cables, and multiple USB ports.

Powered off, on. etc. Nothing.

I gave my old Asus monitor to a friend when I "upgraded" to the Dell, tomorrow I will get it back from him. I never had any issues with the Asus. So I already know it will work fine.

Cheers

West

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 11th, 2017 12:00

Hi West,

Thanks for the update on the Firmware update not even finding the monitor, let me see if I can find anything else. I will also check if there is something that we can identify if the monitor is defective. 

Best regards,

Brad

9 Posts

May 18th, 2017 18:00

Bump..

I'm still unable to configure this monitor. Any updates?

or is there somebody I can speak to locally Austria-Vienna.

thanks

cheers

9 Posts

May 19th, 2017 11:00

More to add to this issue.

While working in photoshop I can either use Adobe RGB ( the image on the left ) or the Dell monitor color space ( on the right ) and you can see the color space listed in the image window top frame.

Anything I save uses the color space of the right image, regardless of what what color space I am working in. So if I want to see the image I work on, as it will appear once saved as Jpeg, I have to use the Dell monitor color space - however, notice that the color picker does not change with the color space. So when I open the color picker and choose a tone/color I want to use, then start painting, the color appears completely different to what I want.

This is a dilemma - Do I work in the Dell color space, not be able to choose colors, but see the image as it will appear to others?

or do I work in the RGB color space so that I can accurately pick the colors, but then the final image will turn out completely different to what I have done.

Either way - this screen has made professional work impossible for me.

Which is ironic, because it is supposed to make it easier/better.

Dell, please help.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 25th, 2017 16:00

Hi West, 

I spoke more with Chris on this and there isn't anything else we can try on our end without the hardware calibration. I would recommend contacting support directly in Austria, here is a link that should have contact info to speak with them/submit a trouble ticket, since they might have some more suggestions. 

Best regards,

Brad 

1 Message

October 4th, 2017 14:00

Hi! Did you find a solution for this?

I've had the same monitor for over a year and last week all of a sudden started to have the same issues as you describe above, and like you not being able to edit for days :/

I read the whole threat and have calibrated etc, but wondering if you found a fix after all, and if so, if you could share it.

Thanks!

9 Posts

October 4th, 2017 18:00

Hi LevisBrevis,

Unfortunately not,

I could not return the monitor to the shop as it was ordered online and I do not wish to pay shipping fees. The only thing I can do is to use "monitor"  setting in "screen space" while in Photoshop, which gives me a closer approximate correct color to how images are displayed on other devices.

But still on my monitor images appear very different depending which app they are displayed in.

cheers

1 Message

December 14th, 2018 11:00

I`m in the same boat. It~s not possible to work correct with this monitor.

No Events found!