Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 9th, 2017 20:00

UP3017Q OLED Pixels Flickering On and Off

I have the Dell UP3017Q OLED monitor.

I've noticed that there are a handful of areas on the screen, primarily in a somewhat vertical line along the center of the screen, but in somewhat concentrated and clustered areas, where pixels/subpixels seem to rapidly turn on and off.

I at first thought this was an artifact of a faulty cable or perhaps PC, but I have tried three PCs using both the HDMI and USB-C cables, and the monitor still exhibits the same behavior.  I've tried adjusting settings and performing a factory reset, but nothing seems to help.  Changing some settings like Color Space or Brightness can slightly alter where some of the areas are or the color of the flashing pixels, but the problem still remains.

I am attaching a YouTube link to a video of the problem.  You'll want to watch fullscreen at the 1080p or 4K quality, as the compression of the lower settings obscures the problem.  The blinking white pixels near the center of the video (above the white line) are the problem I am referring to.

This does not seem like normal behavior.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

532 Posts

May 10th, 2017 07:00

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to our community.

We’ll surely try to assist you. We checked the video and the video wasn’t that clear. We’d appreciate if you can send us a clearer video with the complete screen.

10 Posts

May 10th, 2017 19:00

Thank you for the response.

I will try to get a better video, but here are some images that try to explain the problem.  It is hard to capture because you have to be close to the screen to clearly see what is happening, but is very easy to demonstrate in person.

You will want to open these images up to full screen.

This is the entire monitor with a static image on the screen.  The red circle indicates the area in the video.

This is an image of three stills from the video that try to explain the problem.  The area in the red circle should be a solid gray color, but is instead littered with red, green, and yellow pixels.  These pixels are not static...they keep changing color, as if they can't properly maintain their state.  Hopefully if you watch the video again at a higher quality (1080p or 4K since the compression of lower settings washes out the details) and fullscreen you can see the pixels rapidly changing when they should be a solid color. 

Edit: I have added two more videos.  The green color in this video should be solid but there is a vertical band down the center where it flickers.

This video is a closer shot of the same problem where you can see the individual pixels changing brightness:

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 11th, 2017 07:00

What is the serial number and A0x revision?

* Are you testing using the cables we provided?
* List the three computer models, operating systems, video/GPU hardware
* Did you reset the UP3017Q to Factory defaults (page 42)
* If installed, uninstall Dell Display Manager, reboot the computer and retest
* Test using =

Input Color Format RGB

Color- Preset Modes- Standard
Color- Preset Modes- Multimedia
Color- Preset Modes- Movie

Color- Preset Modes- Color Space Adobe RGB
Color- Preset Modes- Color Space sRGB

10 Posts

May 11th, 2017 18:00

Thank you for the reply.

CN-0FWW87-74445-6AE-006S

A00

I've used the HDMI and USB-C cables provided.  I have also tried two additional HDMI cables that are known to successfully carry a 4K signal to other devices.

Custom PC - Windows 10 Pro - Nvidia Titan Xp

Razer Blade Pro - Windows 10 Pro - Nvidia GTX 1080

Samsung Galaxy TabPro S - Windows 10 Home - Intel HD 515

I tested the custom PC via HDMI, the Razer Blade Pro via HDMI and USB-C, and the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S via USB-C.  In addition to a direct connection, I also tried a Dell USB-C to HDMI adapter with both the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S and Razer Blade Pro.  None of this made any difference.

I also tried different resolutions and refresh rates, which did not make any difference.

The HDMI 2.0 setting makes no difference whether set to Enable or Disable.  (As a sidenote, it's unclear to me what this setting does, because even with HDMI 2.0 disabled, the monitor will still properly resolve 4K/60Hz signals over HDMI, which is outside the HDMI 1.4 spec.)

Factory reset makes no difference.

Dell Display Manager is not installed.

The location on the screen where the pixels are doing this is usually in or around the center, but seems to vary location depending upon the image on the screen.  Some images will cause this behavior at different locations, almost as if there are certain characteristics of images that will cause this.

The problem persists using all Color Preset modes, however, the location of the errant behavior seems to change, even when using the same static image.  Using my original image as the baseline:

Standard and Multimedia are the same.

Movie - the problem area moves up the screen slightly.

Adobe RGB - the problem area moves down the screen, and rather than the pixels becoming brighter when flashing, they become dimmer, like they're specks of black or dark purple.

sRGB - Similar to Adobe RGB.

REC709 - Similar to Adobe and sRGB, but the problem area moves back up the screen.

DCI-P3 - Harder to notice because it's dimmer, but the problem area is lower.

Input Color Format makes no difference, assuming the video card is adjusted to match the Input Color Format the monitor is expecting.

Brightness appears to make a significant difference.  As brightness is lowered, the problem area moves up the screen, until the brightness is very low, at which point it returns to its original spot and the pixels start to appear dimmer when flashing, rather than brighter.

10 Posts

May 15th, 2017 12:00

I tried one final thing, which was to move the monitor away from all other devices in the event this problem was caused by interference.  It made no difference.

Can I request that this monitor be exchanged for an identical but functional replacement?

Thank you.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2017 00:00

Sorry for making three posts in a row, but is it possible to somehow expedite a replacement process for this monitor?  I noticed the warranty service for this monitor is listed as "Advanced Exchange" so if this is just a matter of starting the process, I'd like to do so as soon as realistically possible.

The Dell "Contact Technical Support" page is properly populated with my service tag, but does not list an email option, only Chat and phone.  I tried Chat, was told that I was in the wrong queue because I apparently have Pro warranty support, and to stay online while I was transferred, at which point the session ended.  I then started another chat, which went more smoothly until I was told that Pro Support was only available 9AM-9PM CST.  That's reasonable enough since I was well outside those hours, but browsing the rest of the support site gives me conflicting information about whether the hours are 9AM-9PM CST, 7AM-7PM CST, or 24/7.

I will try again tomorrow unless I can get better results here.

10 Posts

May 18th, 2017 20:00

I managed to contact Technical Support, but this is slowly turning into a disaster.

1) Technical Support offered to replace the monitor fairly easily, which is good.

2) Unfortunately, they can't actually perform the exchange because they don't have any stock.  This seems unusual, because the Dell online store has enough stock to ship next day if I buy a new one, unless of course technical support has a different supply than the online store.

3) The length of time from my original complaint to getting the exchange offer puts me outside the 30 day window for a new replacement, and into the refurb replacement category.

4) I was told to contact customer support for the possibility of a refund.

I'd consider the refund, except:

1) I would use the refund to buy the exact same Dell UP3017Q monitor that I am returning.

2) The price of the monitor has increased slightly since I purchased it.

3) I used promo codes that may no longer be valid on the original purchase, increasing the price of a replacement.

4) The refund would impact some of my Dell Rewards, which I have already used.

5) I'd be tied up for the cost of TWO $3500 monitors until the refund was processed.

In short, I've found this situation entirely disappointing, especially for a $3500 product which has Pro support plus an Advance Exchange warranty service.

1 Message

September 25th, 2019 15:00

Hi J676!

Did you ever fix your UP3017Q Flicker behaviour with your screen? Or did it need replacement ?

The reason I ask is there is one ( two in fact) I can buy but both have the flicker thing?

I was wondering if a better HDMI cable or using display port or power cable or something similar fixed the issue ? If its possible to solve then I would consider bidding, otherwise will not!

Also how have you otherwise found the display? fantastic? Any reply in the next day or two would be hugely appreciated !

Very best regards!

No Events found!