Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2013 19:00

UP3214Q - MST & Firefox Menu Issues

This is going to sound nuts so I had to make a video... http://youtu.be/Difz6EccmF8

The monitor is a Dell UP3214Q connected to one of my NVIDIA graphic cards via mDP 1.2. The first half of the video the monitor is set to SST mode. The second half of the video the monitor is set to MST mode (60 Hz).

While in SST mode the drop-down menu for the Firefox bookmark "star" and various other add-on drop-down menus work just fine. Click on the icon and the drop-down menus are displayed.

However, when I switch to MST mode the drop-down menus shown in the first half of the video will not be displayed correctly. In fact it appears that they're simply not being rendered at all but. However, if you look closely (you might not be able to see it in the video) the drop-downs are actually working, they're just opening and closing in a fraction of a second. This only occurs in MST mode.

Early adopters for the win! :emotion-5: Can someone at Dell kindly assist?

Thank you.

32 Posts

December 1st, 2013 20:00

Hi Chris,

Yes, this is the same monitor. The reasons for the RMA (I'd like to swap mine for a new one) are many including dead and bright pixels which should be covered under the Advanced Exchange Warranty. I've had the display less than a week. Regarding what I posted above, could you please forward that to your Engineers?

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 1st, 2013 20:00

Is this the same monitor that you said that you wanted to RMA?

32 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 07:00

Email sent to engineering. I think they may be off for the holidays though.

Thank you Chris. If they require any further information from me please don't hesitate to IM and/or email me directly. I'll be replacing my current UP3214Q with another one soon but I don't think that it will help with the above issue. However, I do hope that the replacement addresses my dead/stuck pixels.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 07:00

Email sent to engineering. I think they may be off for the holidays though.

32 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 09:00

What specific desktop computer? Home built or OEM? What specific make/model of the Nvidia video card? What Nvidia driver version?

Home built. All hardware information can be found here: http://www.thedigitalfoundry.com/pc.html. I'm running three MSI GTX 680 Lightnings in SLI. NVIDIA driver release: 331.82. I've also tested the latest NVIDIA beta drivers.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 09:00

What specific desktop computer? Home built or OEM? What specific make/model of the Nvidia video card? What Nvidia driver version?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 12:00

* Is the issue replicatable using other browsers IE, Chrome?

* In FF, does the issue occur if you disable hardware acceleration from the browser?
Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"

32 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 17:00

* Is the issue replicatable using other browsers IE, Chrome?

* In FF, does the issue occur if you disable hardware acceleration from the browser?
Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"

I haven't noticed this issue with other browsers but each browser does vary in terms of GUIs.

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox resolved the issue. However, the question remains why this is needed for Firefox when the display is set to MST mode. This issue does not occur when the display is set to SST mode. I've never had this issue on any prior display including my most recent one - an HP ZR30W.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 5th, 2013 05:00

We cannot replicate this firefox issue using several test desktop computers and different Dell OEM Nvidia video cards. Of course we are only testing on Dell OEM nvidia cards and Dell drivers. We do not test on retail (MSI) video cards and drivers. You will need to contact the firefox community.

32 Posts

December 5th, 2013 06:00

We cannot replicate this firefox issue using several test desktop computers and different Dell OEM Nvidia video cards. Of course we are only testing on Dell OEM nvidia cards and Dell drivers. We do not test on retail (MSI) video cards and drivers. You will need to contact the firefox community.

I'm using the official GTX 680 drivers downloaded directly from the NVIDIA website. Dell doesn't support the use of official NVIDIA drivers for NVIDIA video cards? The test should be performed on a Dell system with a GTX 680 video card using the latest official NVIDIA drivers and the latest build of Firefox on Windows 8 x64. That is the closest environment to the one I produced the video from. The UP3214Q should also be set to MST mode.

Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 5th, 2013 07:00

Dell doesn't support the use of official NVIDIA drivers for NVIDIA video cards?
* We do not load them on our Dell OEM video cards on our test systems. We use the latest Dell OEM WHQL drivers.

The test should be performed on a Dell system with a GTX680 video card using the latest official NVIDIA drivers and the latest build of Firefox on Windows 8 x64. That is the closest environment to the one I produced the video from.
* We cannot. You are not using Dell OEM video cards. You are using retail MSI. They use a different GPU bios. Our point is that on our Dell OEM hardware and drivers, we cannot replicate the issue using the latest version of FF. We are not going to go out and buy retail video cards

32 Posts

December 5th, 2013 21:00

The test should be performed on a Dell system with a GTX680 video card using the latest official NVIDIA drivers and the latest build of Firefox on Windows 8 x64. That is the closest environment to the one I produced the video from.

* We cannot. You are not using Dell OEM video cards. You are using retail MSI. They use a different GPU bios. Our point is that on our Dell OEM hardware and drivers, we cannot replicate the issue using the latest version of FF. We are not going to go out and buy retail video cards

The product page and included documentation for this display does not state that this display is only to be used with Dell equipment/drivers. If this is the case I strongly suggest the product page is updated. One would think that Dell would want to do whatever it takes to debug possible issues with a $3,500 display. If that takes purchasing a $300 video card for testing so be it. Regardless, I appreciate your candid responses to my questions. I wish more moderators were as forthcoming.

No Events found!