Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

77 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 03:00

A little update on this - it seems to be a DP 1.2 problem only. I've tried it on three machines, Gigabyte Brix with 4th gen intel core i7, nVidia GTX 780TI and Radeon HD6970. Switch to DP 1.1. mode and things are fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2013 17:00

Some video cards will result in a blank screen or two similiar images on the display. Your video card and its driver must offer DP1.2 4Kx2K 60Hz support. You must have the correct software, Tiled Display Graphics Driver DisplayID version 1.3.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

No clue. That is just what they told me. My assumption is it has to come from the video card manufacturer.

77 Posts

And which driver Software should be installed for the abovementioned 3 cards on Win7 and Win 8.1 given that all three support 4K @ 60Hz AS per their specs?

77 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 04:00

It would be nice having a list of cards tested including drivers and OS details. Obviously I need the right drivers, but I'm using the latest nVidia, ATI and intel drivers for the respective machines and all are a nogo :(

38 Posts

December 26th, 2013 19:00

Hi Humba,

I had similar issues, but that stopped with the latest Nvidia driver?

I didn't have half screen issues, but blank screen on restarts stopped on UP2414Q

I use

Asus CUII GTX760

Driver version 331.82

WIN 7 Pro

77 Posts

December 27th, 2013 14:00

What driver did you previously use? On my nVidia 870TI  card I'm on 331.82.

It may be driver/OS related though - my old game box (don't have it to test with anymore now) ran fine with what I think were ATI 13.11 drivers on Win 8.1, then I set it up anew in order to sell, with Win7 and 13.12 and it behaved like it behaves on my other two PCs.

I've not tested the nVidia beta drivers though (331.92). I've gone through multiple iterations of the intel driver as well, but all were a nogo.

38 Posts

December 27th, 2013 17:00

sorry cant be sure, but i presume it was the official nvdvia driver.

i only had the monitor for few days. 

i was on the driver prior to that via nvidia auto update nvdivia experience. i got the new monitor was having issues but xmas got it in the way, of few days.

after woulds i restarted thw pc nvidia said update driver i did to the version before mentioned above and the issue disapeared.

ps

i am currently doing a clean install of win8.1 enterprise. I hope I dont run into your issues.

Either way once I have everything installed, I will report back.

38 Posts

December 27th, 2013 20:00

hi i am on windows 8 enterprise now.

i had the half screen issue at longon, ie it was displaying 2 half screens.

when i clicked the logon screen to get to password dialogue, the screen blinked and the wrong half of the screen went full screen, and the usual dialogue box to pw disappeared.

even though the pw box wasnt showing I entered the password successfully however the desktop was displaying a single full 4k screen.

but that disappeared after installing the monitor driver from the dvd.

38 Posts

December 28th, 2013 04:00

I just did what you asked... MASSIVE issues.

What I have is two dell monitors in dual set up.

I turned off the off the UP2414Q and it took me 10 minutes of trying different settings to get two monitors on again at the same time!

Obviously neither of the 4K monitors was tested

77 Posts

So now everything is okay with the latest nVidia drivers and installing the Dell Monitor driver?

Do you have any issues with power save mode / turning off the screen while the PC is still running, then turning it back on? I just tested the latest beta nVidia drivers - during the few first reboots I had no split screens, but definitely issues when turning the display off and on again.

38 Posts

I missed this, as usually I have my workstations set up to be on all the time, no power save etc.

This is a big issue.

December 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi Folks.  I just wanted to note that I too am having similar Multi-stream transport stability problems.  I have now had the UP3214Q for about a week. 

Problems:

1. Resume from Sleep - Monitor will not wake (tells me that there is no signal).  This occurs frequently, but not 100% of the time.  Requires rebooting everything to fix.  Turning monitor off / on, unplugging Display Port etc does not fix.

2. Windows 8.1-64 Login Screen - nearly always shows only half of the screen (usually the right hand side).  I can CTRL+ALT+DEL, type my password (although I can't see my PW or account since it is clipped or on the non-visible LHS), Windows desktop loads and the monitor will go dark and usually (>90%) come up in the full 3840x2160x60hz mode.  Sometimes it does not and just goes dark... Have to follow the steps outlined in (1) to fix.

3. Resolution switches - Gaming - something that is a bit more rare, but similar in what bugs are surfacing - is that there are times that I exit a game and when I get back to Windows, the monitor goes dark indicating that there is no signal.  Again, power cycling everything is required. 

Questions:

1. I don't know or understand at what level in the software stack that the MST stuff kicks in - because it seems odd that I have the problem of half screen on Windows Login ...  Does anyone have a software stack model?  It would be great to get an idea of how this all works so I can know where to focus bug hunting efforts, although I suspect that there exist bugs in several different areas (Monitor FW, Graphics FW, Drivers etc)
  2. Are there different design approaches to how this problem is solved between AMD And Nvidia?  (I see lots of posts about how AMD handles this - not sure if it is better or not)
  3. Should I just open a formal support request with Dell ?  Has anyone else done that?

Facts:

SW: Dell Display Manager 1.20.0.1430
SW: NVIDIA Driver 331.65  (NOTE:  there are a few slightly newer drivers like 331.93... I will try these, although I don't know if there are bits I there that do anything for MST etc)
HW: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Hydro (3GB)
HW: Using the Dell-Supplied Display Port cable
HW: Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula (16 GB, 4770k)

I know that this is still a bit of a leading edge configuration (4k, 60hz in general) but I had assumed that there would be more stability after Sharp led the way a year ago or so... 

cheers

38 Posts

December 29th, 2013 03:00

Just thought to add my hardware profile for reference as well.

SW: Dell Display Manager 1.20.0.1430 I don't have this installed
SW: NVIDIA Driver 331.82 

HW: ASUS GeForce GTX 760 Direct CUII (2GB)

HW: i7 3770k

HW: 32Gb Ram

HW: MSI GD80a Z77

HW: Using the Dell-Supplied Display Port cable

77 Posts

December 30th, 2013 04:00

I did open a service request - took more than an hour on the phone for something I had already written down but couldn't submit because my service tag gets misidentified (first it was an out of warranty Inspiron 14, now it's the correct device, but still out of warranty). I'm supposed to get a replacement screen, but was told it would take a bit of time due to the holidays and all (over here in Europe, last week had exactly two working days).

I've also filed with the manufacturer of my nVidia card (Gigabyte) and NUC (also Gigabyte) - no results with anyone so far. 

I suspect MST kicks in on a driver level, since the picture problem only appears at the login screen - then again I wonder whether daisy chaining shouldn't work without drivers? I do think it's MST, too, since the problem only happens with DP in 1.2 mode. I feel reminded of problems you sometimes get with dual link DVI.

No Events found!