Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

38 Posts

December 30th, 2013 05:00

just as a sake of information... I thought I would add this observation from my end. 

I changed the way the monitors connect to the pc and surprisingly I can turn off the 4k monitor and turn it back on, with no issue and so far, I haven't had a half screen logon either.

Originally igp was disabled and I was driving both my ultrasharp from gtx 760 (1200p dvi and the 4k dell supplied mini dp cable)

Now I have enabled igp at bios with peg to init first, so in essence each gpu runs one monitor.

gtx 760 now runs the 4k 

igp hd4000 runs the 1200p

December 30th, 2013 12:00

A few more updates:  There is a new version of Display Manager out - from 1.20.0.1430 to 1.20.0.1432.  I have not looked for the change log. 

I have ug'd my NVidia driver to the beta r331 (331.93) version - no changes in the behavior. It would be great from someone at Dell to eventually dig into this post a bit - spending >$3k on a monitor and not having it be nearly perfect is just a bummer.

4 Posts

December 31st, 2013 12:00

I have this issue as well.  I don't think this has been mentioned yet but if you're logged in Windows and only half screen is displayed, logging out and logging in seems to fix it.  No need to restart the computer.

The other data point I want to contribute is that the Asus 32" 4K does not have this issue for the 3 weeks that I had it.  The Asus and Dell both share the Sharp panel so it must be a monitor firmware issue.  Another behavioral difference is that the Asus will only display half screen while in the bios, then full once in Windows.  Dell displays full screen on both, when it works.  Everything is in the context of DP 1.2 / MST mode.

I question how this issue passed Dell QA.  When it works, the monitor is spectacular and definitely worthy of a 2014 technology.  I certainly hope this issue is resolved ASAP.

4 Posts

January 1st, 2014 13:00

EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked with latest Nvidia 331.82 and Windows 8.1.  The fact that the Asus 4K did not have this problem leads me to believe it is a monitor firmware issue and not Nvidia, nor Windows.

77 Posts

January 1st, 2014 13:00

@Nonsns3: What's your GFX card, OS and driver version?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 09:00

* None of the Dell OEM Intel integrated GPUs support 4K2K

* Nvidia drivers 327.00 and newer support Tiled Display. Here is the latest list of video cards from Nvidia that can support 4K2K =
GeForce GTX TITAN
GeForce GTX 780
GeForce GTX 770
GeForce GTX 760
GeForce GTX 690
GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GTX 670
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
GeForce GTX 660
GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
GeForce GTX 650
GeForce GT 640
NVS 510
Quadro series using Kepler architecture
Quadro K500
Quadro K1000
Quadro K2000
Quadro K3000
Quadro K4000
Quadro K5000
Quadro K6000

* AMD driver 13.4 and newer support Tiled Display. Here is the list of video cards from AMD that can support 4K2K =
AMD Radeon HD7970
AMD Radeon HD7750
FirePro W600/W5000/W7000/W8000/W9000
==========

We tested the UP3214Q on an Alienware Aurora with the Nvidia GTX Titan video card, driver version 331.65, Windows 7 Ultimate.

We set the UP3214Q to DP1.1 and power cycled the UP3214Q on/off/on ten times with no issues.
We then restarted the Alienware Aurora ten times. We always saw the Dell post screen and the windows logon screen. We never saw the 1/2 screen issue.

We set the UP3214Q to DP1.2 and power cycled the UP3214Q on/off/on ten times with no issues.
We then turned the Alienware Aurora off, then on ten times. We always saw the Dell post screen and the windows logon screen. We never saw the 1/2 screen issue.

I found this in my searching. So these issues on non-Dell hardware show that the monitor may not be the culprit in all cases.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/4K-Monitor-Requirements-and-Usage-492/

1. When using DisplayPort in MST mode, NVIDIA cards fail to POST about 50% of the time. When this happens, you have to hit the reboot button on the computer (power off then back on does not work) in order to POST successfully. PC Perspective also had this issue and reported it as an issue with the STMicro firmware on ASUS motherboards.
2. Nvidia and Intel displays in MST mode cannot see the BIOS or POST screens on our ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard. DisplayPort in SST mode and single HDMI, however, work fine. This issue does not happen with AMD video cards.
3. Also related to DisplayPort in MST mode, before the NVIDIA driver is installed you only get a black screen when the OS boots. You have to switch to SST mode, install the NVIDIA driver, then switch back to MST mode.
4. Finally, we initially had some problems when testing HDMI that ended up being due to the cable not being HDMI 1.4a compliant.

77 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 10:00

I presume when you write 4K2K you mean 3840x2160 @60Hz, correct? 

And I presume tiled mode means what I've suspected all along.. the display acts like two 1920x2160 screens that are "stitched together" somehow to firm one single 3840x2160 screen (and since the subscreens do 60Hz, so does the full thing) - and with the intel IGP that "stitching together" is not working (hence my two separate screens). If that's the case, who is responsible for the "stitching together" part? Is that a driver (Screen or Display) or is that done on a lower level (GFX card BIOS vs logic residing inside the screen)? And I presume Dell uses the same approach to get 60Hz as does Sharp (the way Sharp does it is explained here: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/ASUS-PQ321Q-315-4K-Tiled-Monitor-Review/DisplayPort-12-MST-and-STMicro-Athena-Contr - that article also has quite a few interesting tidbits, and has me wondering if the Dell display also needs that upcoming firmware upgrade for the controller that the article talks about).

Depending on where that stitching together is being done, if the GFX card BIOS has anything to do with it, it could help explain why we're seeing different results as everybody who posted so far has a different card.

What's the issue with intel's Haswell? Every article leading up to the launch boasted 4K support, and according to this graphic (http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-haswell-4th-gen-intel-hd-graphics-alls-well-new-igp), the iGP should be able to drive even 2 displays at 4K2K@60 (not sure what that 1 chip / 2 chip column means though).- looking through the intel forum I just found this though which may be relevant to my NUC: https://communities.intel.com/message/212815#212815 - apparently the drivers aren't quite there yet.

Given all that you have posted - shouldn't a big fat warning be posted on the product page of the screen to tell people to check their hardware before buying? Intel 4th gen IGP claims 4K2K support, yet it seems at present that's a nogo. AMD Radeon 6000 series should technically support it (results are mixed as I saw, one driver/os combo worked out, another was a failure), and the number of supported nVidia chipsets is also limited.

January 2nd, 2014 10:00

Chris, Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I had read the review of 4k from Puget Systems.  Tom's Hardware had a Sept 19th "Gaming at 3840x2160" review too that I just read (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pq321q-4k-gaming,3620.html).  

I am not having the POST problem that is mentioned in the Puget post (even though I am using an ASUS main board).  I suspect that what I have must have been fixed by now.

Just to restate some of what I had above and with some clarity / augmentation:

1. I always have the 1/2 screen experience when I am at the Windows Logon screen the first time.  If I log out and then back in, I don't see this.  This is what makes me wonder about how MST is initialized.
  2. I never have any problem seeing the BIOS/POST screens or the screen that windows displays when it is booting - and it is not 1/2 or odd looking.  Kudos somewhere for getting this right because this is a problem that seems to be mentioned in multiple places for the Asus 4k and Sharp 4k monitors. (http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PQ321Q#support for example)

I am really perplexed that Dell (based on the test configuration above) did not ever see the 1/2 screen issues - something doesn't seem right.

I can live with the 1/2 screen stuff on initial logon - what is more frustrating though is when the monitor simply will not detect any signal on the display port after the system sleeps, or, sometimes when coming out of a game.  As mentioned above, this is a bit more rare.

25 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 17:00

I am having half screen problems on the UP2414Q as well, turning the monitor off then on again and or a reboot usually fixes the issue. I am using an AMD W5000 firepro card on windows 8.1, and a case has been filed with AMD.  The problem started to happen when I switched from displayport 1.1 to 1.2 (in order to get 60hz). 

77 Posts

January 11th, 2014 13:00

And we're being joined now by THG: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35930743#post35930743

Today I updated my nVidia drivers (332.21) and did some more testing and noted something peculiar: You can bring the screen back to life after having turned it off while the machine is running. Here's how (and it only works in this particular scenario) - in order to do "does the screen turn back on from power save mode", I set Windows to turn off the display after the minimum amount of time possible (1 minute). Then, turn off the display, and after a few seconds, turn it back on. Windows will play the usual "new hardware connected" sound, but the display will report "no signal" and enter power saving mode. NO amount of moving the mouse or keyboard interaction changes that and it doesn't matter if you do any of that before or after turning the screen back on.

Now here's you get it back to life: wait until Windows own "turn the display off" mechanism triggers again (1 minute in my case), then move the mouse / hit the keyboard. And oh miracle, the display comes back to life.

Now that's not an acceptable solution, but I figure should probably help in resolving the problem since we now know that Windows mist first think the display is off for any interaction with the machine to trigger the "turn display back on" thing. So I figure once you power the screen back on, Windows thinks the display is on, and only if it then thinks it has turned the display off again, will it trigger whatever mechanism there is for telling the display to wake up.

19 Posts

January 13th, 2014 09:00

Finally took to oppertunity and bought this monitor and, its awesome, no more troubles with not working AA, just some small smaa and eveything is razor sharp and alias free in games :)

But,.. I also have some problems, sometimes the resolution reverts back to 1920x2160 after a reboot (one screen? it is eyefinety in theory). Switching on and off the power to the screen seems to help, not alway's, sometimes several attempts are needed, although the desktop seems to be reorganized. Also some games run only in weird resolutions, (Tombraider, DeusEx HR, and Hitman for example). The images in these games are stetched, others just just play's in a halfscreen? Some suggestions? I have GPU scaling on in catalyst settings and set keep full screen ticked on, is this the correct setting? Also set displayport on 1.2 in OSD.

Also another weird thing, the provided DP to MDP cable won't work, screen goes into sleep mode (no signal?). I use another DP to DP cable.
I have two R9 290X's in CF,  with cat. 13.12 whql (and you need them:))

I hope it's due immaturity of the GPU drivers drivers and win 8.1, because it's by far the best screen I've ever seen.

18 Posts

January 13th, 2014 10:00

Has anyone reporting this issue had a replacement issued from Dell that fixes the original problem?

I am also experiencing the same problems as reported by the original poster of the thread, and I really cant tell what is the root cause of the problem, is it the actual monitor, the graphics card or the drivers?

All of the problems described seem to be linked to using the monitor at 60hz and DisplayMode 1.2.

Just to add to what the previous poster said, the cable supplied with the monitor (DP to mini-DP) has never worked at 60hz for me, I had to use a normal DP to DP cable.

19 Posts

January 13th, 2014 11:00

@E.T. you seem to be the only one with an ATI setup - do you have any no picture issues after a display power off and on if the PC stays on?

The weird resolutions IMHO are due to the tiling. In DP 1.1 mode you can (by defining custom resolutions in the nvidia cp) create proper 16:9 resolutions, something which doesn't work in DP1.2 (either due to the hardware not supporting it, or driver issues). If you look at the resolutions your display reports to windows, they seem to be mostly lower versions of what one tile (screen half) can do.

I'm hoping that the influx of cheaper 4K screens will force hardware and software makers to make this setup more reliable as right now it seem hit and mostly miss :( 

I have almost no issues when waking up from sleep mode, only one time it reverted back to 1920x2160 (one screen), but 99% of the time it's ok.
One thing to notice, when it reverts back to 1920x2160, after a system crash in a game for example and I power the screen on and off to get 3840x2160 again, windows (8.(1)) automatic scaling fails and menutext is very small desktop icons are messed up, a reboot is required.

I hope it's the GPU-vendors which have some homework to do and that they will fix it soon.

I'm going to open a thread on the AMD forums, maybe they can inform us.

At last,my screen works with properly in 95% of my games.

77 Posts

January 13th, 2014 11:00

At least over here the screen is backordered so I'm still waiting for my replacement.

I never had cable issues but that may stem from using the cable that came with the U3014 - though the product code seems to match the cable that came with the 32"er.

@E.T. you seem to be the only one with an ATI setup - do you have any no picture issues after a display power off and on if the PC stays on?

The weird resolutions IMHO are due to the tiling. In DP 1.1 mode you can (by defining custom resolutions in the nvidia cp) create proper 16:9 resolutions, something which doesn't work in DP1.2 (either due to the hardware not supporting it, or driver issues). If you look at the resolutions your display reports to windows, they seem to be mostly lower versions of what one tile (screen half) can do.

I'm hoping that the influx of cheaper 4K screens will force hardware and software makers to make this setup more reliable as right now it seem hit and mostly miss :( 

4 Posts

January 13th, 2014 12:00

For those with issues, are you planning to keep the monitor and get a replacement through Dell warranty?  Or are you planning to return the monitor?

I am thinking of returning and waiting for a revision.  Also, I am expecting the price to drop a bit as well.

No Events found!