Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2013 08:00

UP3214Q/UP2414Q - 1/2 screen issue and/or No picture after powering off, then on

I got some more problems with the UP3214Q: Every couple of computer starts, once I get the login screen displayed, only half the screen shows a picture (the right hand side), with the left half being black. After login, I get the full picture. Prior to the login screen, I also have full screen picture (BIOS screen, Windows loading screen). The second issue is even more annoying: If I power off the device while my PC is still running, then power it back on, I will never get a picture again. No amount of hitting random keys and klicking about (I can hear windows and moan in the background If I manage to blindly hit the wrong option) will get back any picture. Neither will switching to another input then back, nor will unplugging the displayport cable from the machine, or putting the machine to sleep and returning it back from sleep. The only way to get the picture back is to shut down the shut down the machine completely, then boot it up again. Is this supposed to happen or is something wrong with my display?

5 Posts

May 21st, 2014 15:00

"It has been decided to not flash the entire stock of new monitors."

So that means : "It has been decided we sell brand new, yet faulty, UP3214Q with buggy A00 firmware regardless" ?

This is getting worse and worse. Even if people buy new they won't get rev A01 monitors. I am thinking getting a U3014 , HP Z30i, Samsung 590/970, or NEC 302/272,  would make a lot more sense.

10 Posts

If only I had found this thread first before I ordered. This monitor is very finicky and it takes me several tries a day just to keep it functioning like it should. Very high maintenance.

I would NEVER had ordered this monitor if I knew about this, and I am advising a large and popular PC forum not to bother ordering these (24" and 32") monitors. They'll just get the defective monitors anyways, and everyone would be unhappy.

I feel like I've been conned. Not a good feeling.

5 Posts

My suspicion is that Chris meant they are not going to retroactively flash existing (unsold) new monitors. I would imagine they will put A01 on newly built monitors, but presumably they have an existing supply of monitors, so who knows how long it will take to get to the ones manufactured since A01? Chris, I hope you will correct me if my assumption is misguided.

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 03:00

@Anthony Jay:

"- if a screen has less or no problems with newer drivers, the problem is not with the screen"

It's great that you, for a few days, have had no problems, but the vast majority of us are apparently still having sleep issues. The tiling issue has apparently been fixed (though, for what it's worth, I never had that problem personally). The problem here has to do with the 'handshake' between the monitor and the video card. Since the sleep issue occurs with ALL video card driver brands, the problem IS with the screen - the screen, under no circumstance, works stably in the majority of cases. Dell sold us this screen. There is an expectation that a new product be able to function in the current PC ecosystem - it was advertised that it could, after all. There was no disclaimer that we would not be able to use this device "until...". Thus, it is Dell's responsibility to either help address the issue by working from *their* side, via firmware update, or via cooperation with Nvidia and AMD, to address it from that side. That should be obvious. I see they're working with Nvidia...that's good, but the insanity that is their lack of any interdepartmental communication on this issue regarding firmware updates/awareness of this issue/etc is ludicrous. I called and was called by tech support many, many dozens of times and never ended up getting an A01 monitor despite pointing people to this thread (I had to email them a link....) and reiterating the entire story many times to many different people.

Also, from the few people who have managed to randomly wade through the nightmare that is Dell support departments and managed to receive the golden ticket which is an A01 firmware monitor (I'm patient...but come on... the fact that people STILL can't get any clear communication on this problem, and are still being sent the wrong monitors, is shameful), it appears that that firmware update does fix the sleep issue - so yes, the problem can be addressed by the monitor's firmware.

Early adoption has its issues, sure. Some things might not yet have, say, linux or OSX drivers that work stably, but they will work right under Windows/etc. This is not such a case. This doesn't work properly for ANYONE under ANY circumstance. There is an expectation that a product works reliably in at least some situation, especially at this price point.

If you continue to have ZERO sleep issues after another week then you will officially, as far as I can tell, out of all the people who have replied to this thread, be the first (of those not using DP1.1, of course). In that case, after a week or two, please post all your specs so the rest of us can find the one-in-a-million hardware combination which works around this problem. (Yes, I'm running 337.81 - still have sleep issues.)

25 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 03:00

I don't work for Dell nor I have any interest in promoting them, but pure logic suggests:

- if a screen has less or no problems with newer drivers, the problem is not with the screen

- from what Chris said before, it is clear that issues that show up can be solved from either side: Dell by updating firmware with changes or driver manufacturer that update their drivers.

As Nvidia user of 337.81 I'm now several days into issue-free usage. With 337.61 I had only occasional turn-off and back on situations on cold boot.

Having 0 problems with 337.81 suggests that problems have been resolved. Since that is the case, it is logical to see that actual monitor does not have irreparable issues, but that combination of driver/graphics cards driver immaturity and new "hacky" technology (which 4K@60Hz@DP1.2MST obviously is) get people in trouble. Also, both ASUS and Sharp had same problems, AMD still has those no matter firmware updates from ASUS where customers are free to install them on their own.

Early adopter do suffer. Always. 

28 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 04:00

After reading all these posts, it seems to be a miracle, that I get a replacement/refurbished monitor with A01 Firmware.

On the backside of the Monitor there is a small sticker with signals "A01".

With this monitor revision all problems are solved (half screen, sleep).

By the way: I am from Germany and called the German Dell Support.

MM69

25 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 04:00

Trust me, I don't want to say it works if it doesn't. By the way, I've today double-checked and it is really A00 printed on the back.

I'll keep using it and see.

Lack of communication really is a problem.

25 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 09:00

I am an engineer now way over 20 years and have never written a driver for a driver. Anyway, I'm not sure where do you get such reliable info about these Dells being very buggy and a problem for Nvidia? Do you have a source we don't have? Yes, in that regard, I'd be also mad. But, I've moved to Nvidia after a year on AMD because of bugs. I wouldn't bet AMD is not the problem. I'm not sure I'd let my engineers (I run a company of 26) go experimental 4K (which current 4K is) in production if any kind of issues could negatively affect their productivity. Hacky 4K and first batch - from what I see, there are many early-4K adventurers that are not really aware of what that means. That being said - I'd be very mad if monitor did not work for me. I'd just return it for a full refund. One advice: never buy experimental screens as first/only displays.

5 Posts

Anyway, I'm not sure where do you get such reliable info about these Dells being very buggy and a problem for Nvidia? Do you have a source we don't have?

I don't think we've heard of a single configuration that reliably does not produce at least some subset of these issues. The likelihood that AMD and Nvidia both somehow managed to produce an overlapping set of identical errors in completely different driver implementations is unlikely. I agree with ParcelRot -- what you are seeing now is likely Nvidia trying to implement workarounds to overcome the issues in the hardware.

The fact that all of this is resolved by a firmware update would seem to confirm this: hardware manufacturers aren't going to do a firmware workaround for a driver bug, because the driver will likely be updated to resolve the bug (and possibly break the firmware that assumed it was there). If it were an AMD/Nvidia problem, A01 wouldn't exist.

Finally, I don't think it's reasonable to call it the customer's fault. This was neither billed as a beta product (and, honestly, these are alpha-level issues), nor priced as one. This was sold and priced as an ultra-premium, top-of-the-line product, and it should perform that way. I am just glad to see that Dell now has a firmware revision that appears to be working well, and hopefully most of these sold in the future will work as well as a product of this class should.

10 Posts

Oh, I was talking about writing drivers for various devices - not this particular Dell. Sorry about that typo, Anthony.

I thought several pages back someone already confirmed the firmware as an issue - based on incorrect handshaking behavior?

Ah yes here it is, page 10:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19536443.aspx?pi23185=10

"AT THE SAME TIME - the dell monitor when warm - yes, when warm, relays a correct handshake to the video card/driver. When cold it relays the wrong return."

10 Posts

I've written drivers for various drivers over the decades. You won't believe the shenanigans you have to go through to workaround bugs present in the device. This is the kind of stuff videocards have to deal with when presented with very buggy monitors like these particular Dells. The fact that it's been at least 6 months before NVIDIA could even begin to deal with the issues tells me the problems with the Dell are real and not imagined. And people that use these monitors with other cards are right now - AMD/Matrox/Intel. That's a LOT of people that will have issues. An apology is not good enough. A few pages back some of these early adopters are doing architectural work. Professionals. It's not just a bunch of hobbyists you know.

25 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 10:00

(Un)fortunatelly, I'm not able to reproduce issues atm (780Ti @ 337.81, Win 8.1U2014, GB motherboard). Anyway, I'd suggest you to ask for a full refund if it doesn't work and is really as it seems, a model bug/problem they won't help with. From what I see, Dell is very arrogant about this "no firmware to users" thing and still not willing to offer fast and secured A00 to A01 replacement. If this is all true, how such company survived in the market is beyond me.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 11:00

Hi

I have a UP2414Q which Dell support have said needs to be replaced. However, they say they need a Dell purchase number.

I purchased the monitor from Amazon UK. Amazon say they cannot supply a Dell purchase number and Dell say they can't do anything without one. Amazon will replace the monitor (with another from the same batch - presumably A00) which won't help.

Any ideas how I might get a replacement?

13 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 18:00

Update: I finally got a refurbished UP3214Q with A01 firmware (at least the sticker over the A00 on the back of the monitor itself says A01). It still won't boot with the monitor powered on (I haven't even bothered to see if it sleeps/wakes correctly, since the main issue has always been that it wouldn't boot when the monitor was powered on). I've now had it over six months, so it appears my only choice now is to keep it and sell it eventually when I find a replacement without any of these issues.

25 Posts

May 24th, 2014 07:00

Update: I finally got a refurbished UP3214Q with A01 firmware (at least the sticker over the A00 on the back of the monitor itself says A01). It still won't boot with the monitor powered on (I haven't even bothered to see if it sleeps/wakes correctly, since the main issue has always been that it wouldn't boot when the monitor was powered on). I've now had it over six months, so it appears my only choice now is to keep it and sell it eventually when I find a replacement without any of these issues.

Care to explain what you mean by "won't boot"? What hw config you have?

So far issues have been (that I know of) - monitor displaying picture on either half, out of sync color/bright/contr settings for halfs, not powering on (like VGA is not sending signal)...

No Events found!