Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 7th, 2016 15:00

UP3216Q, color uniformity complaint

I purchased a UP3216Q and a U3415W recently. For an £800 professional grade colour managed screen it cant even display an even neutral color. The UP3216Q is used for business purposes where colour management and colour accuracy are required. There is a pink cast on the left of the screen, flowing to a roughly neutral middle, flowing into a green cast on the right. This affects all neutral tones, all light colours, all light uniform shades and means I cannot use this screen for the purpose it was purchased for because I can't trust what I see on the screen. Then there is the issue with hardware calibration and Lut. Using CAL1 and CAL2 you get banding. Revert to aRGB or sRGB and the banding goes away.  Now that I can live with that (until a fix is available) IF the screen could actually display a reasonably neutral uniform image..... but it can't. When I edit in black and white, for instance, it is like I have some weird split tone image, pink highlights one side, green highlights the other side. I see your policy is you send out "refurbished" screens. Not this time. Not impressed. Oh the U3415W is great but I don't edit colour work on it so I don't even know if it has the same problems, nor do I care if it does.

March 30th, 2016 11:00

I made a purchase, based "on the information provided by Dell" on the "Dell" website. I already swapped the screen out,. the replacement was even worse. I didn't keep it.

March 30th, 2016 11:00

color casting

March 30th, 2016 12:00

@yumichan
If you spent "more time" reading than typing, you would "already" see that I indeed have come to that conclusion, maybe use some of that intelligence, read back a few posts, and you will be enlightened.

But in case you can't be asked to go back a few posts and read I'll summarise for you.

I noticed the issue, I read-up on what others had discovered/said. I got a replacement as soon as I could, it was worse so was rejected. I relised that (and admitted in a post earlier) that the mid-ranged 4k screens are just not up to it yet, I assumed they would be but it is not the case... so I'm resigned to using this screen outside of the adobe RGB space I wanted to use it for.... and it is just about OK... but not *** reliable.... I'll have to live with it until the tech matures and prices drop further, I use a 2nd screen to *** check my work in the interim, I still like the 4k benefit (size and ppi) for post processing so it's not all bad.

Closed for business. Return in 2677AD.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

"it's not all bad" + 800 pound + self-answer. This has been funnier that I imagined

March 30th, 2016 13:00

I'm happy I have entertained you, and it is £821+VAT actually, but hey, who cares right?  It was never about the money, we're a LTD company, it's peanuts in the overall scheme of things. But then "hey" its not like you actually read what you are replying to anyway. 

17 Posts

March 30th, 2016 15:00

@yumichan & equipped2000

You both seem to have some issues going on, both in need to be the holder of Truth while one clearly in pain of the faulty product. Your little war might not be of much help with the issue though.

As a prospective buyer it was good to have an idea, as equipped2000 described, on how to try getting around of the quality issues of the monitor. Unfortunately, I agree, it is a too restrictive way of using it but does seem to show that the panel is of decent quality and perhaps also the controller but not as much the firmware.

Speaking of Dell, I'm not on its payroll but it's worth mentioning that it's Dell who provided the means for this forum with not that much censorship either which is a nice step. Even better if Dell would come up with a proper fix and openness into the hardware as this would definitely avoid such bitter conversations and gain more customers. I assume there are many still on the fence and waiting for a reaction to this problem from Dell (properly working, this monitor would be the 1st pick for somebody willing to upgrade to 4k in an expanded color space).

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

March 31st, 2016 01:00

What our friend equiped2000 does not understand is that:

-he made a purchase without doing a basic research

-intelligent people, when make a mistake, solve it an move forward. "Return for refund an forget his dell nightmare in this price range" will be that solution, specially for a small business.

-since he made a poor uneducated choice (a severe issue if you are a small business) he needs a flame war to justify that "he was cheated" (in some way) by Dell. Actually is a QC issue in this price range for all non premium manufacturers.

So we are enjoying a multipage thread of self-justification. His issues with that model are common in this forum and other users did serious test about quality check. I mean, instead of a "rage thread" of a simple man who needs self-justification, other 32" 4k  (and 27" QHD) owners offer a "WARNING" to potential customers, warning with actual data: uniformity measures, deviations from calibration target after DCCS... the kind of info a small business with 700-1500 euro budget will find useful.

"Self-justification" vs information, that's the difference with other threads.

This is the funny thing... and it seems that we'll get more pages of entertaiment

17 Posts

March 31st, 2016 05:00

@yumichan

Indeed, it is quite rare to find such a deeply intelligent person as yourself. Anybody reading your posts will be very informed indeed. Why don't you channel such energies into writing a blog?

However, I do feel our friend's equiped2000 pain and as potential buyer his posts and clarification of the color-cast issue gave me a new perspective on the UP3216Q monitor. As he described it, it is not a complete loss as hardware looks to work in some cases. If Dell does not act then they'll loose a fair share of this market but I still have hope Dell will do the right thing about the problem and provide a proper firmware with properly working calibration. In this case equiped2000 pain and efforts will result in a better product for everybody.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 31st, 2016 07:00

OK, we are not going to allow the attacking of each other on our DCF (Dell Community Forum). There is some great discussion and debate on this thread. But cease and desist with the personal attacks. Please read this.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

March 31st, 2016 09:00

@mikvi
please, read some examples about how to warn users

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19679044

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19666103

-uniformity report

-dE differences from desired white

-detailed information about what modes are locked with uniformity compensation

-issues with LUT3D data that Dell software (DUCCS) stores in CAL1 or CAL2.

-logs with broken LUT data.

That's the way to warn potential buyers... or even to improve this product, not an "anger thread".

17 Posts

March 31st, 2016 10:00

@yumichan

What can I say... true, equiped2000 got a bit too far with venting his pain but do you think you've helped him much by treating this as "funny" and "entertainment" and obsessing about the right way of dealing with it? No one's perfect, I wonder what's your problem making you spend so much energy into this. I wasn't really joking before. I also didn't know about the "-2" version of NEC or all the features. Write a blog about the status of the monitor market, the 3 steps and everything else, educate the buyers. Who knows, you might even make some money out of it.   

March 31st, 2016 14:00

I wont be back to entertain this further.

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

March 31st, 2016 15:00

@mikvi

If you read other threads and then read this... it's very funny indeed :emotion-2:, because it's just an "anger thread", and with each new post from your friend it's more funny :emotion-2:. In fact, remember that our common friend's rampant rage started with a simple objective statement like "you cannot afford a good widegamut 32" 4k model with 1000 euro (or pounds) budget"... some people just cannot manage "sorry, low budget" issue and charge against who says it. When a grown adult does that... sometimes it is a very comic situation (actually a mix of shameful & funny)

BTW If you have good programming skills (as you said us in 1st page) you should take a look on the "log" thread by tenderchkn. DUCCS write to logs all data and commands sent to monitor (Connection.log). It may be useful to you if you go for a Dell (but I would stay away from the most expensive models). But you will need to do all the reverse engineering job, AFAIK Dell is not going to free a SDK (I'll love to have that... but it seems that Dell doesn't). Then go back to this thread and you perhaps you will reconsider your previous statement "In this case equiped2000 pain and efforts will result in a better product for everybody". Very different threads indeed... and that people do not feel the urge to write a signature "Dell guys: I've buying your products over a decade, you should put a special consideration to my claims". Very funny thread indeed...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 31st, 2016 18:00

This thread will be locked. I want to add that yumichan has greatly contributed to our Forum users in the difficult task of monitor calibration and we appreciate any help he can offer. No, he does not work for Dell nor have we given him any product. I agree that sometimes he can be brusque. But I think that his knowledge of our monitors and the X-rite software offset this. Feel free to private message me if you feel the need of more discussion.

No Events found!