Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2017 09:00

UP3216Q, macOS Sierra, Scaling problems

I am using the UP3216Q with a Retina-MacBook Pro under macOS 10.12.3 (Sierra); it is connected via Thunderbolt / DP 1.2. The native resolution (3840x2160) is supported perfectly, but I cannot switch to useful scaled (HiDPI) resolutions. The highest scaled (HiDPI) resolution available is 1080p (2x HiDPI), which leaves contents far too large. 3840x2160 renders everything tiny (as expected), which is not useful for my purpose.

Under El Capitan (before I updated my system) I was able to scale to 2560x1440 HiDPI or 3008x1692 HiDPI without any issues, but these settings seem to have vanished under Sierra (macOS 10.12.3). Only the blurry low-resolution (non-HiDPI options are available). Does anyone have a solution for this problem? 

This is what I have tried so far, without success ...
- holding down the Option key while selecting "Scaled"
- restart of computer and monitor (tested open and clamshell modes)
- switched mDP-to-DP1.2 cable to a high-qualtity Accell option
- HDMI-to-HDMI connection
- SwitchResX (custom resolution/scaling after inactivating SIP)
- .plist edits (with SIP disabled)
- System Management Controller (SMC) reset

Some forums state that the UP3216Q isn't compatible with macOS, recommending alternatives of different brands (LG, Samsung, ...). I don't believe this is true, because it worked well under El Capitan, but I am starting to think if I should return it to Dell. Unfortunately, we depend on the latest macOS, and with the ongoing scaling issues we cannot use it for our work. What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Tom

Hardware:
- Retina-MacBook Pro (late 2013, applies to 13" and 15" models)
- Dell UP3216Q, 31.5", 3840x2160px
connected via Thunderbolt port to monitor's DP1.2, high-quality cable:
www.amazon.com/.../B00A7R9I 22

Software:
macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 27th, 2017 15:00

Honestly, Dell support would stop at, "Can you get the native resolution?". The scaling is considered Apple operating system advanced usage. If it worked in El Capitan, but not in the newer Sierra, then Apple changed something, what, we have no idea. I would start by asking the Apple users on their Forum for thoughts. You should also consider contacting Apple itself and raising a trouble ticket. We know that they have our bigger monitors to test on.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2017 17:00

Thank you Chris. I have just gotten a chance to test the screen with macOS 10.12.4, which was just released. Still the same issue. A couple of weeks ago I filed a bug report at Apple (ID 31012468) and started a discussion / contributed to discussions on the official Apple Community Support Forum (and at various other places), so far without definitive answers or no answers at all (for the trouble ticket). Does Dell have a more direct way to relay this information to Apple? I'm happy to provide any details if needed. As I mentioned, scaling worked perfectly under the previous OS, so it clearly is something that could be fixed. As it stands, we cannot use the screen, unfortunately. Thanks again. Tom

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 30th, 2017 07:00

Does Dell have a more direct way to relay this information to Apple?

* No idea. I have never heard of us speaking with them.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2017 06:00

Thanks, Chris. I could get in touch with Apple Engineering. It turns out that Apple does not support this monitor anymore and there is no solution in sight. I really liked the UP3216Q under the old macOS, but with Sierra there is no way to make it work. I returned it yesterday. Thanks again for looking into this.

No Events found!