Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2009 08:00

Warranty

I purchased a new dell 2009w on ebay and was told that the warranty registration would be in the box. Well it was not there, can anyone tell me how to register this with dell. I cannot find anything on dell site about were to register a monitor. After the purchase i contacted the seller and asked for the order number, now he said the he did not buy it from dell but from a 3rd. party.

Thanks

1.6K Posts

Dell doesn't use warranty registrations - the original sales invoice indicates the warranty.  You can try contacting Dell with the serial number (service tag) on the monitor.

14.4K Posts

Unless you can track down the Orginal owner you will not be able to do anything as it is that person who much transfer all the info over. Untill or if that happens you will not have any warranty or dell support as you are not the orginal owner in Dell's eyes.

You might want to return the system if possible to avoid and potential problems as anything that happens with the system will be up to you to repair untill the warranty is transfered.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 15th, 2009 19:00

Davet50 is correct. Read this.

69 Posts

May 30th, 2009 18:00

Thanks for your help and i took your advive and returned it. Did not have a problem with the seller.

Thanks

8 Posts

November 19th, 2009 17:00

Since this monitor is no longer available from Dell, I too just purchased a 2408WFP from an e-Bay online retail store.  The seller stated the monitor came with the manufacturer’s (Dell) 3 Year Limited Warranty, however I did not receive any information on how to activate it.

Chris, you stated in your May 14, 2007 post, “Contact the reseller and get his Dell order number. That order number will tell us if he bought the standard monitor 3 year warranty.”  After reading your post, I e-mailed the seller and asked for this information; however I doubt I’ll get it.

I have a Precision T-3400 system that I purchased with two 2408WFP monitors.  The Dell sales person I bought it from told me the monitors came with the 3 year limited warranty but I added the four year extended warranty to the whole system, so I know I’m covered there.

You also stated, “If he cannot provide a Dell order number, he most likely did not buy the warranty and bought them from us in AS IS condition. He then sold you a AS IS monitor with no warranty.  So, are you saying that for a single stand alone monitor the warranty has to be purchased separately? 

If so, this contradicts what I was told and what I have seen in print.  See here: http://i.dell.com/images/emea/products/monitors/2408wfp.pdf  This monitor comes with ‘3 Years Advanced Exchange and Limited Warranty’ which also includes the ‘Premium Panel Guarantee’.

The monitor was new and factory sealed so as long as I have dated proof of purchase; why do I need an original order number?  If I had purchased it from Sam’s Club or Best Buy, I would not get their original order number, so what difference does it make what store it was purchased from?

Before I report the retailer for “False Advertising”, I need accurate information.  Any light you can shed on this matter is appreciated.

8 Posts

November 21st, 2009 13:00

Does anyone care to comment?

14.4K Posts

November 21st, 2009 18:00

I believe this will apply like in my first post. The warranty is on the original buyer FROM DELL.. any subsequent sales will require a ownership transfer

8 Posts

November 22nd, 2009 09:00

You may be correct, but I still disagree if that is Dell's policy.  This is a standard warranty that comes with this product and not a service contract or extended service contract that has to be purchased separately.   The product was purchase new from a dealer, therefore there should be no question.

I made contact with the seller and he has promised to get me the information on Monday (tomorrow), so we'll see where it goes from there.

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 23:00

Just an update...

Since Customer Service could do nothing for me, I contacted Chris M on this forum, supplied the information he requested, and he was able to get the Warranty transfered for me in a couple of days.  So far, so good!  I hope I'll never need to use it.

Thanks again Chris for your help...

No Events found!