dankirk
2 Iron

What kills pixels?

I have a Dell 2005fpw. When I got it one month ago, it had no dead pixels and acceptable, minimal backlight leakage. It just developed two dead pixels (stuck on red on a black screen) The dead pixels are far apart, and very small so they are barely noticeable, and then only when it is a dark screen. I still like the monitor, but I wonder what makes the pixels go bad? Is there a good possibility that more will die out? Can I do anything different to prevent this?

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
nadalife
1 Nickel

Re: What kills pixels?

sometimes dan with a stuck pixel, a pixel permantley coloured, you can revive them by rubbing them for a while, but not too rough cause you dont want to damage the screen.

good luck

0 Kudos
mitchedo
2 Iron

Re: What kills pixels?

Red, green, or blue on a black background are "hot", not dead.  Dead pixels show up on a white backgroung.  Hot pixels are much more noticeable. 

There is no rhyme or reason to why they go dead.  Normally, it's just part of the manufacturig process.  About all you can do is make sure you don't block the heat vents on the panel, or buy one from a manufacturer who has a zero defect policy.  Rubbing the pixel area is not likely to work.  The closest to a zero defect policy (that I've found) is Princeton Graphics SENergy line.  They have a zero hot pixel, 3 dead pixel warranty for three years.  I believe Samsung has some sort of zero-defect policy, but only in Korea (or Hong Kong.  ...can't remember).

Princeton's pixel policy, stated clearly on their Web site, finally prompted me to spring for an LCD panel.  I don't know how long Princeton will be able to afford to offer such a warranty, but I got mine.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by mitchedo on 01-22-2005 06:55 PM

0 Kudos