Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2014 09:00

XPS 12 + two S2340T for three displays have touch issues

I'm field testing a corporate setup as part of our R&D.  I'm running a Windows 8.1 Dell XPS 12.  Last week, I ordered two of the S2340T external monitors for use with my setup.  In the past, I've been able to successfully run two external monitors, for a three monitor setup.  When I connected the first S2340T, everything worked great. When I connected the second one, I lost touch-screen capability on the first one.  On the second one, when I touched that screen, it was interacting as if I was touching the PC's own display, despite that it was properly running it as an extended desktop. I finally found that each monitor needs to be running with the USB cable (I found this in a year old forum, even though the instructions I received still made no mention of the necessity.) Right now I have full touch on the Mobile PC display, as well as the first S2340T (monitor 1) that I connected.  The second one that I connected (monitor 2) takes any touch action and correlates to the space within the mobile PC display.  If I disconnect Monitor 1, then Monitor 2 will function perfectly as designed.  If I then plug Monitor 1 back in, it will not function properly, allowing any touch on it immediately to show as a touch command on the Mobile PC display (thus mimicking the issue I had when the monitors were reversed). I've fully replaced drivers from Dell, even the ones that it says are up to date.  I've disabled and upgraded.  At this point, I don't know what to try next.  Dell recently told me to update my Bluetooth driver for a separate issue, and immediately following, I lost the Bluetooth connectivity option and the functionality of my Bluetooth mouse. After running a driver update from Dell, I lost my Bluetooth receiver on the laptop.  Thankfully, I've seen this before and all I need to do is re-install a VPN client's software that we use, SonicWall Global VPN.  Restart the system and my Bluetooth is back; but now neither monitor reacts to touch on its scree, each monitor shows the touch point as being on my Dell XPS 12.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 4th, 2014 15:00

Try this...

* Disconnect both monitors from the computer
* Reconnect both monitors by USB 3.0 only (do not use DP or HDMI)
* Use Windows to configure the monitors into extended mode and save that configuration
* Go into the control panel
* Search for touch
* Select tablet setting -setup
* You will see a screen that says "Touch this screen to identify it as the touch screen If this is not the tablet PC screen press enter to move to the next screen"
* At this point hit enter
* That same message will move to one of the external displays
* Touch the screen near the message until the message changes to "press enter to proceed to the next step to compete your configuration"
* Press Enter
* At this point, if only using one external display you will be back at the tablet settings screen and you can close it. If using several external displays, the original message will then show up on the other external display
* You will see a screen on the otehr monitor that says "Touch this screen to identify it as the touch screen If this is not the tablet PC screen press enter to move to the next screen"
* At this point hit enter
* That same message will move to one of the external displays
* Touch the screen near the message until the message changes to "press enter to proceed to the next step to compete your configuration"
* Close that window
* Now each touch screen will function independently without impacting each other or the notebook display

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 4th, 2014 05:00

Tom P IT admin,

Each S2340T occupies its own computer resources (RAM, CPU, USB port, Graphic Video RAM). The computer does not have the horsepower to drive two S2340T. That is why touch only functions on one. We were only successfull using two of them on a high end Alienware desktop computer. I do not know why the bluetooth would conflict with the monitor software.

February 4th, 2014 05:00

What would the system need as far as RAM, CPU, et cetera, in order to be able to run both external monitors as touchscreen?  In professional industries, dual monitors are fairly common, with the eventual move to Windows 8, that touch functionality in a dual monitor setup becomes crucial when choosing monitors.

We like to keep our setups uniform, Dell laptops and peripherals if available, but if the monitors require too many resources, or Dell laptops are unable to operate the monitors as desired, we'd have to consider other options.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 4th, 2014 06:00

"dual monitors are fairly common"
Dual monitors yes, but not dual Touchscreen monitors.

Not sure. None of our E series latitudes could drive two S2340T to get touch working on both at the same time. Maybe the high end Precision line.

February 4th, 2014 07:00

It logically follows that if multi-monitor setups are the general industry standard, now that touchscreen is widely available and compatible, there are going to be utilized.

The documentation on the monitors needs to be updated to indicate that it's not currently available or to mention the minimum system requirements to use them.  It still comes with the old diagram for connection, which I've read in threads that are over a year-old, was acknowledged as not being clear what was necessary for performance.

No Events found!