Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2020 11:00

USB-C monitor to USB-A socket?

Hi. I am thinking about getting a monitor with USB-C connector (like P2720DC or U2719DC). I want to use it for my laptop (with Thunderbolt connection, which will use charge + monitor + USB via the USB-C input), and for my PC as well (which does not have any USB-C connector).

Of course, if I connect my PC, I will have to use the DisplayPort input for the picture signal. But how can I connect the USB-Hub to my PC with the "oldschool" USB-A connector?

Will a USB-A to USB-C cable adapter do it?

Thanks,

exae

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 21st, 2020 14:00

@exae  Yes, a USB-C to USB-A cable will get the job done.  Alternatively, since you'll also be using the display with an actual USB-C/TB3 system, the easier solution would likely be to get a female USB-C to male USB-A adapter.  That way you can just attach or detach the adapter on the laptop side of that cable as needed instead of having to swap the cable that's actually plugged into the display.  But if you do this, make sure you get an adapter that specifically supports USB 3.x, because some female C to male A adapters only support USB 2.0 and power since they're primarily meant to be used to plug USB-C devices into USB-A wall chargers, where USB 3.x support isn't relevant.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2020 15:00

Hi.

Thanks for replying. How sure are you of your answer? Do you have any practical experience with that?

Sorry for the stupid question. I asked the same question to the Dell support chat, they told me this will not work. Now to cross-check, I asked in the forum for any experience, and got the opposite reply

regards,

exae

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 21st, 2020 19:00

@exae  I've helped multiple people do this, and they've all reported success.  And at least for a while, Dell actually included a USB-C to USB-A cable with displays that only had a USB-C port as their "upstream" data port (rather than also having a USB-B port) in order to cover this specific scenario.  As long as you understand that you will ONLY get USB data with this setup, and not power or video, you will be fine.  Dell Support might have misunderstood that.  Otherwise, unfortunately it's not even remotely uncommon for Dell Support (and Sales) to be wrong.  In just the last 2 weeks, I've seen people post here saying that Dell Support told them that an XPS 13 9300 can only run a 4K external display if you ordered a version with a 4K built-in display (false) and that since the XPS 13 9300 is a "high-end system", it can only output to an external display through a docking station, not a USB-C to HDMI adapter (grossly false).

No Events found!