Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2008 16:00

dell 2007wfp monitor burn marks

my dell 2007wfp monitor has burn marks along the top edge of the screen - these have just developed over the last two months - the monitor was originally put into use 05/2006 - is this an overheating problem? - i was under the impression that all dell monitors were covered by warranty for 3 years - true?

PPID: CN-0HF730-46633-64C-0Y3L

picture

picture

Message Edited by rldcpa1 on 10-23-2008 05:47 AM

1 Message

September 26th, 2008 07:00

I've got a similar problem. Bought mine in Jan 07 and this week i've noticed bad image retention and marks along the top of my screen so I'll be watching this with interest. Does anyone know if I can return the monitor if I don't have the original packaging?

27 Posts

September 28th, 2008 21:00

Same here with my 2007 UltraSharp, I see the desktop icon burn marks...

I am under warranty, but will dell replace or fix?

8 Posts

November 10th, 2008 18:00

I have the exact same problem. I've had a dell 2007wfp since Sep' 2006 and started to see marks at the top of the screen earlier this year. They seem to be getting worse.

An odd thing about these marks is that they appear over the top of program windows, but not so with the mouse cursor and desktop icons , the marksh appear below these. A selected icon however seems to allow the marks through. :-/

Also, there seems to be a burn-in effect if a program window's title bar is underneath the marks and has text. The text still appears in the marks when the window is minimised.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Yet to contact Dell, but I'm still within the 3 years and these marks are unacceptable. :-/

4.6K Posts

November 12th, 2008 02:00

Are you guys absolutely sure those are screen burn-in, and not some other kind of damage?

Only, I didn't think you could get burn-in with LCD screens?

Hmmnnn... it seems you can, if the 'fix' suggested in this Remove LCD image burn-in article is anything to go by?

1.5K Posts

November 12th, 2008 07:00

I've got a similar problem. Bought mine in Jan 07 and this week i've noticed bad image retention and marks along the top of my screen so I'll be watching this with interest. Does anyone know if I can return the monitor if I don't have the original packaging?

If you contact support and they replace the monitor you will receive the replacement before you have to ship the old one back and can use the box the replacement came in if it will fit. If not you can use any box as long as it's packaged well enough so it doesn't get damaged in shipping.

8 Posts

November 12th, 2008 18:00

Hi,

It's not burn-in, if I had to guess I'd say it was dirt/dust that has some how got inside the monitor and then lodged itself between the screen layers, if the screen has layers that is.

I still don't fully understand how the marks can still be seen when a program window is placed at the same spot, but can't be seen when the cursor/desktop icon is placed at the same spot. :-/

2 Posts

April 12th, 2009 17:00

I'm also having the same issue at the top of my screen and a cluster of dead pixels and two stuck pixels.

I was also under the impression that Dell had a three year warranty on the monitor but after playing email tag back and forth they say no. Was bought along with a Dimension E510 and they say because it came with the computer (this is not entirely true as I paid extra for this monitor as it wasn't the base monitor that came with it) and had the nerve to direct me to their sales division.

Seriously why would I ever purchase another Dell product when there is clearly an issue with this monitor that others are having (defective) and they refuse to stand behind the product? Should have lasted longer then it did (purchased on 07/16/06) and now I have to find another monitor to replace this failing piece of garbage.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 13th, 2009 07:00

Barfvader,

Did it or did it not come bundled with the PC? If it did, it uses the PC warranty. If it didn't, it uses a 3 year warranty.

2 Posts

April 13th, 2009 17:00

Barfvader,

Did it or did it not come bundled with the PC? If it did, it uses the PC warranty. If it didn't, it uses a 3 year warranty.

It was not the base monitor (IE: the cheaper one that was bundled) as I upgraded (paid a higher price) for this monitor but I guess technically it is considered to have been bundled with it and Dell is completely off the hook for a replacement.

Either way I have spent over $1,000 on various purchases at Dell and this sours me 100% that this monitor is having problems. It would be one thing if it was an isolated case but by looking around it is happening to others.

Live and learn.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2009 07:00

Hi,

This is my first post, but just for the record, I am having the exact same problem with a Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP (S-IPS screen, Rev. A04) that was purchased less than 2 years ago.  I'm really not happy with the quality problems that are developing with this monitor, as I specifically bought it because it had been rated so highly for graphic design.

As a helpful solution for those who are not covered under warranty, you could try this web site:

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

The site has a java applet that runs and displays a constantly changing series of pixels that can help with burn-in problems (you'll have to run it for about 12 hours to see much effect).  However, this does not fix the problem.  It just slightly lessens the burn-in effect (i.e. random pixels will show in the burned-in area rather than words or images).

I hope that Dell will recognize this burn-in problem as more than just a fluke occurrence and choose to honor a 3-year warranty on these monitors regardless of if they were purchased as part of a computer system (Incidentally, linking the monitor warranty to the system warranty has only been Dell's policy since 2005, according to customer service.  Previous to that, the warranties were separate, as I believe they should be).  I am still in the process of working with Dell to determine if my monitor qualifies for a warranty replacement.

-JP

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 30th, 2009 09:00

pryorjn1,

I am still in the process of working with Dell to determine if my monitor qualifies for a warranty replacement.
* That should be very clear. If the monitor is on the same invoice order number as the PC, the monitor carries the purchased PC warranty. Send me the following in a private message and I can look this up:
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Monitor Order number or PC Service Tag number if purchased with a PC:
Monitor 20 digit PPID number found on the back on a label or on the slider card on the left rear:
Reason:

3 Posts

April 30th, 2009 12:00

DELL-Chris M, Thanks for your response to this, but I have already been in contact with a specific individual in the small business customer service department regarding this issue, and I believe that the problem is now resolved. My post here was mostly made to indicate that I was experiencing the same issue that the original poster had described. This post was helpful in helping me understand what was happening with my monitor, as it wasn't immediately apparent. Thanks again. -JP
No Events found!