Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2005 16:00

do all lcd's have a colour tint to white

i have the 1704fpt dell monitor and am wondering if anyone has seen in the own lcd monitors that white has a tint of a differant colour in it. mine has a tint of yellow to white making it look sort of beige. is this normal for all lcds to have a slight tint of colour in white.
 the problem with lcds in this regard being that the white level of the panel cant be changed like on a crt.

20 Posts

January 27th, 2005 17:00

yes but it does not affect the white balance of the monitor. i cant get rid of the yellow tint by any means, including the ati control panel. i have tried it on another monitor, a crt , its white on that so its not the graphics card.

thanks

• 

16.6K Posts

January 27th, 2005 17:00

nadalife,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Have you tried adjusting the color controls for the monitor?

59 Posts

January 27th, 2005 18:00

Yeah, most LCDs seem to have a bit of a color cast (so slight in many cases you'd only notice when they're next to each other). Cheaper LCDs especially seem to have less pure whites. This isn't just Dell, go to a Best Buy or Fry's and look at the same white screen on several LCDs next to each other, you'll probably notice quite a bit of difference. If you prefer cooler (bluer) whites Sony tend towards that a bit more. The most neutral whites to my eyes currently were on some LG Flatrons, and some higher-end Samsungs (193P for example). Personally I'd rather have a cooler white than a yellow one. However, I've noticed that in some circumstances Sonys are just too cool, to the point where they can't render colors as naturally (colors may be vivid, but they won't be natural). Yes, you can adjust panels, but what I've noticed is that each panel seems to have a native color temprature, at which it looks its best and brightest, deviating from this default will generally make it loose some brightness and color gamut.

3 Posts

January 30th, 2005 13:00

I have the same problem. New system. Two 1704FPT's. There is a terrible pink hue on one of the monitors. I have found no adjustment that remedies this. I originally was sent one FPV and one FPT monitor. I thought that was the problem so I sent the FPV back. Same thing with new monitor. This makes it very difficult to do photographic work. Do I need to send this new monitor back also? I am running the same driver default software on both of them.

Dimension 8400, 3.4 Ghz, GeForce 6800 GTO, XP SP2.

20 Posts

January 30th, 2005 16:00

and yes now that you say it tom its more of a pink hue rather that yellow on mine aswell.

20 Posts

January 30th, 2005 16:00

Hi tomhh,

do both of your 1704fpt displays some kind of colour discolouration to white? or is it just one of them? because if one of them display pure white that would indicate a problem for me and for you. i have only the one 1704fpt so i have nothing to compare it too.

maybe we can figure out if its a fault or a "feature" for this model or not.

thanks

nadalife

3 Posts

January 31st, 2005 10:00

Nadalife.

One monitor is fine and one is bad.

Tom

20 Posts

January 31st, 2005 18:00

another question for you tom on your good 1704fpt is white diplayed as pure white without a hint of another colour?
 this will  help me to see mine is defective.

get some white paper up against a pure white background on the monitor to see difference. use the display properties to change your background picture to (none) and the colour then to white.

you can get this by right clicking on your desktop , then chose properties then the desktop tab for these options.

20 Posts

January 31st, 2005 18:00

how bad is bad tom, very obvious discolouration? is it all colours or just white? do you have the american 13 millisecond responce time model or the european 12 millisecond model.

if its just one of your displays then you have complete justification in returning it for a new one, just explain that the difference is obvious between the two identical models and that it has nothing to do with the calabration of the monitor.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2005 00:00

One monitor has a pure white, The othe one is pink. Yuch!

Tom

February 2nd, 2005 04:00

I am about to plunge into using an lcd and have been comparing the Dell 1704FP vs the new LG Flatron L1720P.  The LG has a rebated bottom price @ BestBuy - $329.  The point here is that the LG appears to have a 'white' white!

Check this epinions link for a very good user review on the LG unit - http://www.epinions.com/content_158187753092

Pending New System Dell 4700 3.2Ghz, 1g RAM, 160GB HD, 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6800 GTO graphics, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 (D) w/ Dolby 5.1, WinXP Pro

Current system Dimension 8100, 512MB RAM, 40GB/160GB Drives w/ 4 partitions, WINME/WINXP Svc Pk 2

No Events found!