Re: e-port plus + M4600 + U2711 DVI-D Max Resolution Problems

I just purchased what I thought was the latest docking station, SKU # 331-6304, for my Latitude E6510 laptop.  The included quick setup guide is printed as "E-Port Plus II", and with the Tech Specs specifically stating "2x Dual-Link DVI", my Dell sales rep and I figured it was worth a try (you can always return it..).  I know that my original E-port won't support dual-link DVI, even though my laptop's NVidia NV3100S graphics chip will support very large resolutions (I need multiple widescreen outputs for audio-visual applications, like ProPresenter).  But, typical Dell, Liar Liar Pants on Fire.  And, of course, as Harcourt indicated previously, good luck finding anyone within Dell who has even a clue about this level of technical detail of their own products.  So, I'm still stuck with a laptop that has the graphics power, but, with no way of getting those higher resolutions out of it.  I'm gonna try one of the Display Port -to- Dual-Link DVI adapters next..    

0 Kudos
coven2
1 Copper

RE: e-port plus + M4600 + U2711 DVI-D Max Resolution Problems

My company just purchased a Precision m4800 and the e-port+. I have a 3007 30" dell monitor that I was going to plug into the docking station. The monitor only supports DVI and I thought it would be fine since this dock supports dual link dvi. I'm able to get a resolution of 1280 x 800 on my 30" monitor. I will try to pick up a dvi to hdmi adapter tonight. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just send this e-port back. Are there other docking stations that would work that are made from other companies?

0 Kudos
Harcourt
1 Nickel

RE: e-port plus + M4600 + U2711 DVI-D Max Resolution Problems

......I would recommend getting a Displayport to (active)Dual Link DVI adapter instead of HDMI, as the 3007 Dell monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600. This should give you a higher resolution and better picture than with HDMI (in the current Dell implementation of the spec). As stated previously, make sure its an active adapter - they usually have a USB cable attached to give it the active power required. I have a few of the Dell adapters - they all work without problems.

0 Kudos