Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

October 12th, 2012 21:00

model?, input timing is not supported

I was playing a game and it was working fine. The next day I went to start the game and my screen went black with this message:

"The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1920x1080@60hz or any other monitor listed timing as per the monitor specifications."

I was wondering if someone knew what the problem was or how I can fix it. The game doesnt seem to be the problem for it worked the day before this and the fact my friends are still playing it. Plus i tried another game and it worked just fine. 

Please help me i'm getting mad.

October 14th, 2012 06:00

Hi Chandler14,

It appears that the monitor is unable to synchronize with the signal that it is receiving from the computer. Maximum preset resolution for the monitor that you've installed is 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. Follow the steps listed below to configure the monitor settings.

1. Run MS Fix-It
Solve Windows display quality issues: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Windows_Display_Quality_Diagnostics/

2. Set the display resolution to 1920 x 1080 (maximum) (Follow the steps listed below)
In Windows 7:
- Right-click on the 'desktop' and click 'Personalization'
- Click 'Change Display Settings'
- Move the slider-bar to the right by pressing and holding the left-mouse button and adjust the screen resolution to 1920 x 1080
- Click OK

In Windows xp:
- Right-click the desktop, and then click 'Properties'
- In the 'Display Properties' dialog box, click the 'Settings tab'
- Move the 'Screen resolution slider' towards the left or right to configure it at 1920 x 1080
- Click Apply to have the new resolution take effect

Note: If you do not see 1920 x 1080 as an option, you may need to update your graphics driver. (Refer to step 4 if required)

3. If issue still persists, please configure the monitor's 'Refresh Rate' at 60 Hz (Follow the steps listed below)
- Click the 'Start/Pearl' icon
- Click 'Control Panel'
- Click 'Appearance and Personalization' > 'Personalization' (Windows 7)
- Click 'Appearance and Themes' > 'Display' (Windows XP)
- Click 'Display Settings'
- Click 'Advanced Settings'
- Click 'Monitor' tab
- Select 'Refresh Rate' as 60 Hz
- Click 'Apply'
Note: If you don't apply the changes within fifteen seconds, the refresh rate will revert back to your original setting

4. Re-install Video Card driver: If the issue persists, please try updating or re-installing the display drivers in your computer
Please provide the name of the 'graphic card' installed in your computer. Also mention the operating system installed as well. If it is a Dell machine, provide the computer's model name. I will give you the download link for the correct device driver and also the steps to update/re-install

This video will help too: 

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

1 Message

November 21st, 2012 16:00

I started the above and now I can not even get to the windows main screen... Message reads: The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display...

November 23rd, 2012 00:00

Hi rhoop234,

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Perform monitor's factory reset: If you need help with steps to the factory reset, you will find the below mentioned steps useful:
- Click http://dell.to/XIE0vg to find your 'Dell monitor' in the monitor list
- Click the monitor name (link) to access its user guide
- Click 'Using the OSD' link to find the steps to perform factory reset
- Recheck display results

2. If the issue persists, try starting the computer in 'Safe Mode':
- Power off the computer
- Power it back on and repeatedly tap < F8 > as Dell splash screen appears
- Use down arrow key (on keyboard) to highlight 'Safe Mode' and tap < Enter >
- It is likely that you will be able to view the display screen (Display appears larger in size in this environment)
- On 'desktop screen', click 'Start', and then click 'Control Panel'
- Click 'Hardware and Sound'
- Click 'Device Manager'
- Locate 'Display Adapters' and Expand this category
- Right click 'Video card driver' listed underneath 'Video Adapters' (Capture the driver details and report)
- Click 'Uninstall' (also confirm software removal if prompted)
- Follow through with the uninstall and allow the computer to restart in the normal mode this time

It is likely for you to be able to see the display on the monitor in normal mode this time. However, after the removal of display drivers, everything on the screen will seem larger than normal. This should be fixed after the latest 'video card' driver installation. I will help you with the latest video card driver installation in your computer. Please share the following information so that I may help you further:
- Captured 'video card details'
- Computer model name
- Monitor's model name
- Operating system installed in the computer

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2012 08:00

Similar problem, except I can't even get to "Safe Mode."  I power the computer on and try tapping , unfortunately, it never gets to the Dell splash screen.  It immediately goes to the "Current input timing is not supported by the monitor display..." message.

Computer was working fine a few nights ago, then when I tried to turn it on the next morning, all I could get was the "Current input..." message.  It sounds like it's trying to boot up, but after a couple of seconds the "Current input..." message comes up and it just stalls.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

November 27th, 2012 01:00

Hi Tlwolfe,

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Try resetting the monitor back to factory defaults to see if that works
- Try using the monitor with known-good computer and capture results
- Capture the status of 'light indicators' on the tower (Power light button and other indicators if any)
- Try tapping Caps lock key to see if that works on the keyboard

If the issue persists, please reply with the following details:
- Computer model name
- Monitor's model name
- Operating system installed in the computer

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

November 27th, 2012 13:00

By the way, I was able to reproduce this issue and I have found that between different video cards, pc models, dvi connections and vga connections, the only common denominator is the monitor and the dvi connection.

November 27th, 2012 13:00

My organization just purchased 30 Dell Professional P1913S 19" monitors and we are getting this issue all over the place.  Only with dvi connections though.   We have been using Dell monitors with dvi and dual dvi connections for years and I have never seen this.    The message doesn't make sense because it tells us to set our input timing to 1280x1024 @ 60hz, but it already is.   I would be curious to hear an explanation why suddenly Dell monitors are incompatible with dvi connections.  This may speed up our slow transition to CDW.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 09:00

Were you ever able to resolve this? I'm having exactly the same issue.

Thanks.

February 7th, 2013 15:00

the only fix i have found is to use one particular pny card:

www.cdw.com/.../2566744.aspx

2 Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for following up with the info. I still often get the error, but usually end up "fixing" it by a combination of restarting and jiggling the dvi cord. Ugh!

February 14th, 2013 10:00

yes, very frustrating.   i'll let you know if i come across any other solutions.

1 Message

June 28th, 2018 02:00

This little problem appears to have been around for at least 6 years, and has happened to me since I purchased a SE2717H recently.

The glitch appears to lie with Dell's screen software which sometimes automatically deselects the cabling setting installed and selected by the user, while the screen is in standby mode. (Dells have the ability to connect via VGA, HDMI, DCI etc.). Not sure of the cause - that's for Dell to sort out and it's clear that they have not yet done so - but the solution which works for me is as follows :

When the message is seen, press the button under the screen next to the on/off button. This brings up a menu showing connection options, and the option selected is (in my case) "auto" rather than HDMI.

The other buttons under the screen enable you to scroll up and down the list to select the correct input. Once you are highlighting the correct input option, press the button below the (tick) icon and you're done - until next time.

No Events found!