Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 10th, 2003 22:00

monitor in power save mode help me

monitor is in power save mode
activate using pc....
tried swaping outlets, changeing monitors, unplugging the monitor from the pc and power over night
problem started when my computer froze and when i restarted it, it showed that on the screen,
i cant get it to start up....
even if the tower is off it will say that..... whe ni unplug it from the pc it says its working and w/e ....
some1 help please

• 

16.7K Posts

August 12th, 2003 17:00

Tekken05,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You can try reseatting the video card in the system to see if that will get you into windows. Once there go in and change the Resolution. If that does not work try turning the system on first and then the monitor.

August 13th, 2003 00:00

Hi Jesse --- how do you reset the video card?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 13th, 2003 10:00

junkseller2,

You will need to shut the system down and unplug the power cable and the cable that connects to the video card from the monitor. You then can open the system and remove the screw that keeps the card secure. Once the screw is removed you can then pull the video card straight up and out of the slot. After you have done that put the card back in and screw it back down then shut the case.Plug all cable in and start the system back up to see if that took care of the issue.

6 Posts

August 13th, 2003 20:00

that did not work...  so what else can i do?

August 13th, 2003 21:00

Hi

Me again -- I've completed reseatting the video card -- and still my monitor is in power safe mode!  What now???  Do I need a new video card?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 14th, 2003 10:00

jumkseller2,

You can email support@dell.com and have them replace the monitor.

6 Posts

August 16th, 2003 16:00

ok... i dont think its my monitor... cuz i swapt it w/ a diff one... this happened once b4 but im not sure what i did about it..... is their a 1-800 # i can call to get support?

• 

16.7K Posts

August 18th, 2003 12:00

Tekken05,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The number to call for support is 1-800-624-9896.

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2003 09:00

they still havnt got it right ... 1st they thought it was the mother board... = no ... then when the tech guy came over and replaced the mother board he said the proccessor fan wasnt running , and that could be the problem ... *calls dell back* they going to send some1 today or tomorow.... well thanks much jesse

2 Posts

October 5th, 2003 02:00

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? my computer is doing the same thing now. I think it has something to do with my motherboard or memory. thanks

6 Posts

October 16th, 2003 04:00

I'm wondering the same thing.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2003 12:00

See the message thread entitled "power save mode trinitron." There are other people who have had similar problems. I listed the steps we tried to narrow down what was wrong there.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2003 20:00

it was the proccessor and now i have to call dell about my RAM cuz there is something wronge w/ it too

4 Posts

November 15th, 2003 15:00

First let me say that it looks like some people that are posting on this forum simply have their PC in standby, or power save mode, and don't know how to get it out.  Others have an actual defective video card.  This is what I have.

I managed to correct this problem, But you may not like the answer.  I removed the Geforce4 video card, and stuck in an old PCI card and the screen came back.  I went in and changed the settings that Dell suggests(standby - never, etc). and then put the card back in.  The problem was still there.  I took the Geforce4 out and put the PCI card back in and deinstalled the Geforce4 software and drivers.  Then I put the Geforce4 card back in - Same problem.  This being said, I believe that the card itself is defective.  Because after removing drivers, the system should act as if I just installed a brand new card.  And it does not.  My explanation is that the card has in some way malfunctioned, and the symptoms of this malfunction are the same as "power save mode".  Dell needs to offer a replacement video card to anyone who has this defective card.

6 Posts

November 15th, 2003 22:00

well my problem w/ the  " Moniter is in ...... " was solved because of the proccessor but now i have a problem w/ my comp freezing up all the time ( not the RAM as i posted b4 ) they told me it was windows is corrupt so i have to back everything up and reinstall it.....
No Events found!