Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 8th, 2012 08:00

16237:nwmsexch: no exchange applications are running

Dears,

I have installed a trial version of the networker server 7.6 on win 2008 R2 with NMC, in addition i have installed the networker client plus the networker module software for microsoft exchange (version 5.1.3) on a win 2008 R2 server where it is installed the exchange 2010. Am trying to do the backup for the exchange server. Noting that both servers are VMs.

I have added the client (exchange server) to the networker server. If I launch the networker user for exchange server from the networker client and I try to select any item or file under Microsoft exchange Server in order to do backup for it, I recieve the following error : "16237:nwmsexch: no exchange applications are running" (you may find attached the screenshot).

Do I need any license in order to make this working or any idea concerning this issue?

Thk you in advance

Regards

1 Attachment

1.7K Posts

November 8th, 2012 09:00

Hi Bob,

NME is not supported for Exchange 2010.

If you want to backup or test the backup for Exchange 2010 you need to install NMM 2.3 or 2.4

NMM=NetWorker Module for Microsoft Applications.

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

November 8th, 2012 10:00

Hey Bob,

Did it answer your question or do you need any other information?

Thank you.

Carlos.

18 Posts

November 13th, 2012 04:00

Hi Carlos,

sorry for may late reply, I had limited access to my emails, I've installed the NMM 2.4 and I will do the test and backup the exchange server.

Best Regards

Bob

18 Posts

November 13th, 2012 09:00

Hi Carlos,

I have installed NMM 2.4 on the exchange server. Am trying to run the backup am always receiving the errors as per the below pics.

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Noting that if you check the disks volumes you can see that it is backing up the bootstraps and indexes of the client (exchange with the IP 1.1.240.228) as per the below pic

Capture2.JPG

and there are no save sets in the volume of the pool created for the exchange backup.

Capture4.JPG

below are the tasks created in my backup test:

1- configured a device

2- configured a label template

3- configured a backup pool

4- labeling the device

5- configuring an Exchange Client resource

I used the following document to do my backup config: http://nsrd.info/documentation/modules/NMM/NMM_21_Admin.pdf

kindly advice what I'm missing here?

thank you in advance

Bob

1.7K Posts

November 14th, 2012 02:00

Hi there Bob,

I don't really have any details on the failure (with nmm clients the log to look into first is always nmm.raw under C:\Program files\Legato\nsr\applogs) and I don't really have any details of the configuration so let me suggest you to go through this pretty well explained KB, and modify the group, snapshot, pool and clients accordingly:

http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg124052

Thank you.

Carlos.

18 Posts

November 15th, 2012 00:00

Hi Carlos,

I have done the first scenario mentioned in this document (Exchange 2010 stand-alone server) and the backup has failed.

kindly find attached the nmm.raw logs.

your help is much appreciated.

Regards

Bob

1 Attachment

18 Posts

Hi Carlos,

I have ran the NMM config checker prior to the installation of the NMM 2.4 and fixed the errors. attached (pic1 & pic2) is the list of errors that I have fixed.

am receiving the below error in the log monitoring page.

error.png

I have run again the permission command in the powershel:

below is the result:

permission.png

Regards

Bob

2 Attachments

1.7K Posts

Hi Bob,

First of all I want to explain the logs to look for when NMM backup fails:

Main log is nmm.raw, placed on the client under C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\applogs

If you render that log, you will see errors like the one I found in your nmm.raw:

nsrsnap_vss_save NMM has detected that client does not have enough permissions

Please check the documentation to configure the required permissions.

Also, in NMM 2.4 NMM Config Checker gets installed by default and, in fact you are prompted to run it before the install. Did you run it?

If not, please run it manually and you will find a lot of interesting things, such as the permissions you are missing for the user starting up the service "Replication Manager Exchange Interface"

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

November 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi Bob,

Did you configure IIS as per documentation, to enable Windows authentication and disable Kernel mode?

If you didn't please do.

Also, can you check the user starting up Replication Manager Exchange Interface and ensure that that particular user has all the required permissions?

About the pool thing, please note that this is snapshot based backup, and for that, in the group configuration, you need to specify the pool you want to use.

Also check the box for that group in the pool, in the selection criteria tab.

Thank you.

Carlos.

18 Posts

November 15th, 2012 03:00

Hi Carlos,

I have checked all what you have mentioned:

1- concerning the IIS, it is enabled as per the attached pic "IIS Manager.JPG"

2- Concerning the client permissions: All the Installations/Configurations were done using domain admin credentials,and I have checked the "Replication Manager Exchange Interface " service, it is started as per attached pic: "permissions.JPG", is there another way to check the client permissions?

3- concerning the pool, I have specified the group as per attached pic : "pool.JPG"

4- concerning the group, I have enabled the snapshot and specified the snapshot pool as per the attached pic : "group.JPG"

Regards

Bob

4 Attachments

1.7K Posts

Hi Bob,

are you still getting the same error in the nmm.raw?

If not please send a copy of the nmm.raw file.

Thank you.

Carlos

18 Posts

Hi Carlos,

Am still receiving same error.

Attached is the NMM.raw file.

Regards

Bob

1 Attachment

1.7K Posts

November 15th, 2012 05:00

Hi Bob,

I think I was looking in the wrong direction. Try this please:

As this is a test environment do this:

In the client Remote Access field, in Globals 2 of 2 add:

*@*

In the administrator group in NMC also add *@*

This should work now. If it works then later on we can narrow down to set the correct minimum security if you want.

If it fails please check nmm.raw, and if there is any different error please send a copy of it.

Thank you.

Carlos

18 Posts

November 18th, 2012 23:00

Hi Carlos,

I have done that, and it is working fine now . Thank you very much for your help.

How can we set the correct minimum security?

BR

Bob

1.7K Posts

November 19th, 2012 05:00

Hi Bob,

You would need to add permissions for user "SYSTEM" and also for the "Administrator" and for the user starting up "Replication Manager Exchange Interface" service, so you should add something like this in the Administrators group in NMC:

Administrator@host_name1

SYSTEM@host_name1

ExchangeAdm@host_name1

Administrator@host_name2

SYSTEM@host_name2

ExchangeAdm@host_name2

Also, I would recommend you to add the users you want to grant permissions to restore, within the Remote Access field of he client entries (physical nodes and DAG as well), for example:

ExchangeAdm@host_name1

ExchangeAdm@host_name2

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!