Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2013 02:00

About Exchange 2010 DAG backup configuration ...

Hi Everybody,

As far as i understand, there are 3 possibilities to backup Exchange 2010 DAG db, Passive, Active or All. The point is there in something that i dont see clearly what it means (EMC Microsoft Applications Guide) .... on page 192 , one can read " Notice : Do not backup active and a passive database at the same time when databases specifies have the same name but are on different physical hosts ... Can someone clarify this information for me ? Thanks

1.7K Posts

January 17th, 2013 02:00

Hi Kham,

What this means is that you cannot backup same saveset by running the backup against the active and passive DB at the same time.

This is an Exchange limitation. As soon as you start a backup against one DB, this gets marked as "backup in progress", and in DAG environments, where the DB's are replicated, this flag or status gets populated across all the DAG nodes so, if for example you start a backup for MDB01, passive in node02, node01 will receive that status, and active DB on node01 will be also marked as backup in progress".

This is what it means, not to backup the same DB at the same time.

I hope this explanation was clear enough, otherwise please let me know and I'll try to rephrase it.

Thank you.

Carlos

11 Posts

January 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi Carlos, Thanks for your fast reply, for testing , i've used the flag "Passive". The backup works fine , i wondering if replacing the flag by "all" will simply permit me to backup Passive DBs on EXCH1 and also Active DBs on the second Node EXCH2. Thanks

1.7K Posts

January 17th, 2013 06:00

Hi Kham,

You have to have in mind the following:

When you backup one node with the value of NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=all that means that from an Exchange point of view, you are backing up all the DB's, regardless of the status (active or passive) so, if you run ALL for one node and try either active or passive in another node at the same time, this backup will fail as the DB's are already being backed up.

You can indeed have 2 groups with one client each, one passive and one active, but those can never run at the same time, unless you specify active in one server and passive in the other one.

If you want to backup all the DB's through one node, only backup that node setting all, otherwise set active in one and passive in the other one.

Thank you.

Carls.

9 Posts

January 17th, 2013 09:00

Hi Carlos,  It was exactly i've done the 2 Nodes of the Exchange 2010 DAG are in the group, but i do enable only 1 of them with the flag "all".  Thanks for the explanation.

No Events found!