Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2010 11:00

Another Networker VSS SYSTEM FILESET thread

I've done some research, but can't actually seem to find a solution, though the problem is well documented.

We run Networker Server on linux 7.5 and have a W2k8r2 server running the 7.5.3 client.

Whenever we backup the client, the VSS SYSTEM FILESET gets a full backup (whether incr or full is called) and takes about two hours to complete.

It backups up about 9 GB.

I can change the specs so just the C:\ drive gets taken, but then I loose open files.

Has anyone found an answer to this.

88 Posts

August 4th, 2010 12:00

Hi again MarvinB,

You may review the notes on VSS SSYTEM FILESET backups found on  page 150 of the NW 7.5.x Admin Guide found here >

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-008-471.pdf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VSS SYSTEM FILESET

As with the other VSS SYSTEM save sets, when a backup of the VSS SYSTEM

FILESET save set occurs, it is always at level full. However, a requested backup of this

save set is performed only if one or more of the system-protected files have changed

since the specified date and time. If no system-protected files have changed, none will

be backed up and no corresponding save set entry is made in the server's media

index. However, on an incremental or level 1-9 backup of the VSS SYSTEM FILESET

save set, if any system-protected files have changed since the specified time, all

system-protected files are backed up. VSS SYSTEM FILESET components cannot be

backed up or restored individually.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

88 Posts

August 4th, 2010 12:00

Hi MarvinB

The VSS SYSTEM FILESET will only backup level FULL by design.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

John

58 Posts

August 5th, 2010 04:00

Just to clarify, in no situation have I ever seen NetWorker *not* doing a full of VSS SYSTEM FILESET, regardless of the fact that the System-protected files have not changed.

There have been support cases handling this, and eventually (and rather late) we were informed that the VSS infrastructure doesn't allow for such a query with which NetWorker would be able to check have the System protected files been changed or not. So, every full is full, every incremental is full as well. Makes it especially painful considering those 10GBs have to be backed up every day, unless you want to break your saveset "All" to unmanagable salad of individually stated save sets...

If somebody has any different information I would be more than happy to hear them out.

88 Posts

August 5th, 2010 09:00

VSS SSYTEM FILESET Full backups are by design.

3 Posts

August 5th, 2010 11:00

Can you explain what the VSS SYSTEM Fileset is and why it is so large and takes so much time to get backed up?

123 Posts

August 6th, 2010 04:00

Hi Marvin,

You may take a look on the following KB article.

http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg104185

Arun

58 Posts

August 6th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

article you mentioned describes specific error, where same parts of OS (system files in this case) are saved more than once.

In "regular" backup runs of Win2008 computer, System files are saved only once - you can verify that they are saved just once using mminfo to get nsavetime for a specific VSS * saveset, and then use nsrinfo -t to list out all of the files that have been backed up under this VSS * name. In my case at least no files have been saved more than once.

Marvin, here is a brief description by MS what comes in VSS SYSTEM * savesets (Win2008):

Windows 2008:

Under Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, this writer will generate a list of files using the following formula:

All static files that have been installed. These files are identified by the attribute writeabletype = "static" or "" (empty string) in the component manifest. This category will include all WRP files; additionally, there might be some files marked as static that are not WRP. For example, games are static but not WRP so that administrators can change parental controls.
The WinSxS folder, which includes all manifests, optional components and 3rd party Win32 files.
All PnP Files for installed drivers (owned by PnP).
All user-mode services and non-PNP drivers.
All catalogs owned by the CryptSvc service.
The files in %windir%\system32 are hard links to the winsxs directory.
The restore application is responsible for laying down files and registry and setting access control lists (ACLs) to match the system snapshot. The appropriate hard links must also be created.

if you add all up, you'll end up somewhere near 10GB mark on Win2008 system.

No Events found!