Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 25th, 2014 08:00

Archive module advice?

We have scientific data that once analyzed is rarely revisited.  However it must be kept indefinitely and I would like to have a browseable index for it.

So one option is Amazon Glacier but not sure how to handle having an index.

Another is the NW Archive Module.  I would appreciate any feedback or comments from anyone using it.

14.3K Posts

May 25th, 2014 10:00

Archiving and backup are two different things as probably you know.  With that in mind why not use archiving solution you have?  If you don't have and wish to use NetWorker, I would consider two choices:

- I would not keep index, but based on timestamp and saveset name I would know what I need and would do ssid restore

- if you really wish to keep indices, I would create dedicated server (inexpensive Linux VM) only for long-term backups

2.4K Posts

May 25th, 2014 11:00

You will hardly find anybody who has ever used NW archiving. After all my years with the product I have not even met a single archive user.

Especially for a stable name structure, another alternative would be to export the CFI for the 'archiving' save sets. This way you could still search a certain pathname (substring) in case you need it.

But never forget to save the long term save sets to a separate pool.

No Events found!