Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2013 10:00

Ask the Expert: Networker Server Best Practices

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: NetWorker Day-to-Day Operations - A Customer's Perspective

Ask the Expert: Avamar Plugin for Microsoft Applications

https://community.emc.com/message/739300#739300

Welcome to this EMC Ask the Expert event!

This is an opportunity to learn and discuss Networker Server Best Practices.

This discussion begins on Monday, February 25th and concludes on March 8th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Your host:

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-21583-2-54718/115-91/Prajith.jpg

Prajith Sukumar is a member of the EMC e-Services Content Management Team. He holds a Bachelors in Computer Science and Engineering .

Prajith is also an EMC Proven Professional certified in EMC NetWorker Storage Administration, NetWorker Implementation and Data Domain backup and recovery.

As a technical support engineer he is experienced in supporting tape library, VTL , devices, NDMP, Windows, Unix, Linux client and server related issues and environments, and contributes to the EMC Knowledgebase regularly.

666 Posts

February 25th, 2013 01:00

This Ask the Expert discussion is now open for questions. We look forward to a lively interactive discussion on this topic.

Regards,

Mark

1.1K Posts

February 26th, 2013 21:00

Hello Mark. Do I have to buy an additional license for adding a new backup client?

14.3K Posts

February 27th, 2013 15:00

Question to Prajith; there is a confusion on the market what is the right approach with number of devices, target sessions and max sessions, especially with recent 7.x and 8.x code.  Can you share more details on that?  For example, traditioally we tried to have 1 session to 1 device as much as possible - even disk.  However, it seems as with DD this has changed and to get best performance you might even have to push multiple sessions onto single device (bare in mind that I refer here to DD). This might be good news for those who wish to scale down their device portfolio.  In such case, is this related to specific DDOS and NW version or both recent codes subscribe to same feature?

1.1K Posts

February 27th, 2013 21:00

Hello, Prajith.

Do I have to buy an additional license for adding a new backup client?

14.3K Posts

February 28th, 2013 00:00

Kevin wrote:

Hello, Prajith.

Do I have to buy an additional license for adding a new backup client?

Seems like Prajith is sleeping   In short, if you miss license, you do need one.  How it works?  Like this:

- go to backup server and execute nsrcli command... you should see something like this among other things

STANDARD CLIENT LICENSES

Available: 712

Used: 197

Loaned to Virtual: 0

Remaining: 515

Connected Clients                              

VIRTUAL CLIENT LICENSES

Available: 52

Borrowed from Server: 0

Used: 51

Remaining: 1

Connected Clients                              

NDMP CLIENT LICENSES

Available: 6

Used: 5

Remaining: 1

As you can see, Available is your total count and Used is what is used.  With that in mind, and some simpple math, Remaining is what determines if you need new licenses or not.

If you use virtual client licenses, and if your new client belongs to physical host which is already licensed, then no new license is needed (just make sure that virtual client+physical client name is filled in NSR client resource for new client).

268 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for delayed respose.You need additional license for adding new clients.

Use this license key  :   70f2f2-2a8c02-d8e43a

This is a 25 client license. You can use it for 30 + 15(grace) days.

Regards,

Prajith

268 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

This license which i have mentioned is a temp enabler. Once its expired you can think about buying it if you want to continue to use it. Else simply delete it.

If you want to purchase this license, please contact Licensing@emc.com. They will provide you details about the price etc.

268 Posts

February 28th, 2013 10:00

Hello Hrvoje,

Thanks for reply to Kevin's post. I was away for a day and was not able to reply to the post.

In general considering normal tape drives and AFTD's, there is no specific recommendation about the target sessions and max sessions. These are determind by the number of save sessions getting generated and how exactly it should be written on to tape.

1 session to 1 is usually used to save the data to single tape. That means you will have data on one tape and restore needs just one tape. This will make restore faster.

Now a days we can see the tape drives like LTO 5 and LTO 6 which can write at a speed of 140 and 160 MBPS respectively. If the client cannot send data at the same speed then the complete drive speed cannot be utilized. In these scenarios its better to multiplex the data from deffrent clients.

In case of DD, please confirm if you are refering to normal DD device or a DD VTL.

I can provide you suggestion accordingly.

Regards,

Prajith

14.3K Posts

February 28th, 2013 12:00

Hi Prajith,

I was referring to DD device type (boost). 

268 Posts

February 28th, 2013 22:00

Hello Hrvoje,

However, it seems as with DD this has changed and to get best performance you might even have to push multiple sessions onto single device (bare in mind that I refer here to DD). This might be good news for those who wish to scale down their device portfolio.

Ans:

NetWorker started using DD Boost feature after the release of NetWorker 8.0 in client and storage node. Earlier to this, only NMM 2.3 did had DD Boost feature enabled in it.

NetWorker client and storage node with DD Boost can perform up to 60 concurrent backup and recovery sessions (save streams) per DD Boost device.This high use of sessions reduces the number of devices needed and thereby reduces the impact on the Data Domain system performance and maintenance.

In such case, is this related to specific DDOS and NW version or both recent codes subscribe to same feature?

Ans:

I am not much sure about any recommendation done from DDOS side. We may need to do more research on DDOS part.

Regards,

Prajith

14.3K Posts

March 1st, 2013 01:00

Hi Prajith,

I have second question, also related to stream/performance management - this one is focussed on NW8 solely.  In NW8 we have something as following by default (out of the box):

ecn103.jpg

Above is oob example for one DD dev type device.  I created 4 of those.  In old days, depending if that was tape or aftd, I would have 4 to 8 nsrmmd devices created (one for device and in case of aftd 2 per device).  With nw8, and 8 devices, I did get 32.  The only match which makes sense is that you nsrmmd count to be device x max nsrmmd count.  As per documentation, at least one is always reserved for restore/cloning.  Do you know how the others are being used?  I ask this because I wish to understand how these nsrmmd are utilized and why max nsrmmd count is below target session one. 

Further, if you go step further and try to dynamic nsrmmds, you will end up with even more nsrmmds as dynamic setting will use formula like max/target +4 which gives you 60/6+4=14 nsrmmd processes. Obviously, from 4 to 14 there alot and the only way to make a good call on configuration and tuning is to understand how this nsrmmd processes are utilized and what is the theory of operation behind. Of course, I could not find any document which addresses this part so I'm hoping you can share some wisdom on this.  Thnx.

268 Posts

Hello Hrvoje,

I would recommend you to go through this Document,

https://support.emc.com/docu44910_NetWorker-and-Data-Domain-Release-8.0-SP1-Integration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Chapter 1 > Features > DD Boost Integration.

This will provide you more details on NetWorker and Data Domain integration.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Prajith

14.3K Posts

Hey Prajith,

I read that document and it does not provide anwer to my question.

14.3K Posts

Hi Prajith,

It is misleading to say that boost feature has started to be used in nw8.  I use boost with Oracle and SAP using both NMDA and NMSAP and NW7. NW8 took it further and brought boost support to level of file system backup too (previously only storage node backup part of file system backup utilized boost).  As for sessions, 60 is max session value when using DD dev type... (and up to 10 is recommended as per NW documentation).

ecn102.jpg

However, what is not clear is what do we do with target sessions - is it 1 as before or more?  That was the purpose of my question - if this can be clearly clariflied and/or researched I would appreacited it as I could not find any documet or white paper giving clear answer on this (thus my question here). For example, table above says it is 6 (which is default value in out-of-the box installation for 8.0.0.x); however same documentation will also claim that default is 1 later on so things are a bit messy in that compartment.  If EMC could have made white paper (just as they did for VTL multiplexing enhacement with DD and NW nsrjobd improvement) showing old and new state with clear test cases and result, it would be more clear I assume. Do you know if such document is planned to be released?

268 Posts

March 1st, 2013 02:00

Thanks for letting me know. Let me do some more research on this and get back to you.

Regards,

Prajith

No Events found!