Highlighted
8 Krypton

Ask the Expert [Video]: How to Create Directives on NetWorker

Welcome to our new Ask the Expert video approach. On this thread we’re introducing a How-To Support video and an EMC Subject Matter Expert. We invite you to watch and post any questions, thoughts or feedback, based on the topic at hand. During the time this event is live our assigned SME (s) will be answering your inquiries as they get posted. After the assigned period has ended we'll leave it open so that everyone in the community can collaborate.

The following video demonstrates how to create directives on Networker. Our Support SME, will be around to assist January 11 - 15. We're looking forward to your replies.

Here is your featured How-To video

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Ask the Expert [Video]: How to Create Directives on #NetWorker http://bit.ly/22NJ3JC  #EMCATE <<

21 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Ask the Expert [Video]: How to Create Directives on NetWorker

@Roberto,

removing my post once again does not improve the terminology fault you state here.

Anyone can read the correct window title and verify the facts.

Please be correct. And be fair.

---------------------------------------------------

Hi Roberto,

is this a new feature? - Directives are created from the NW Admin GUI which must be opened via NW NMC.

To avoid confusion, please do not set wrong expectations and use the correct terminology.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi bingo, I'm not sure you received the private message I sent to you Thursday. I requested that we take this discussion privately, hence I offered my email. I never received your email message, yet you insist on taking this publicly. I understand that this is your preference so I will respect it.

I appreciate your interest in helping us and the community to improve the quality of the content. Yesterday, based on your observations, we made edits to the title and description on this thread. If you still object the terminology being used, could you please provide details on your concern. We will be sure to once again take a look and revise if necessary.

Thanks,

Roberto

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

This Ask the Expert session is now open for questions. For the next couple of weeks our SMEs will be around to reply to your questions, comments or inquiries about our topic. Let's make this conversation useful, respectful and entertaining for all.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Is that human or computer voice in that video?

Let me kick off this with few question.  Imagine you are under UNIX/Linux.  You have following structure of file systems:

/

/data

/data/goo/gle

/home

/nsr

/opt

/usr

/var

I do have some data under /data/goo/foo/somewhere_below which I wish to skip, but not under /data/goo/gle/foo/somewhere below.

Questions:

1. is directive, when placed against << /data >> applicable only to that file system/partition or does it spawn onto /data/goo/gle too in case of "+action"? (like +skip: *.bzz)
  2. how does directive act (or how does save act in combination to directive) if you have symlink which goes to some other place (like another partition or even same partition but where target location is not originally covered by initial directive range - for example, if I have directive for << /data/goo >> and under /data/goo/foo there us symlink to /data/bar - will skip action work or not?
  3. I assume for special characters in terms of localization, one needs locale on both server (directive owner) and client (save owner) to be the same so they would understand each other?
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: Re: Ask the Expert [Video]: How to Create Directives on NetWorker

Hi Roberto,

unfortunately I did not receive any mail - I just noticed that my comment has been deleted. But I also noticed the corrections you made.

Please understand that it is just my intention to just name the details correctly ... especially as an ex NW instructor I am keeping an eye on this issues. I just want to make sure that all the people speak the same proper language. It surely improves understanding an especially helps novices.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Hrvoje,

Thank you for starting the conversation.

1. Yes Directive applicable to /Data directory. But when you specify "+action", all child directories will inherit the directive.

Since /data/goo/gle is a mount point, it should be added separately under directive to take effect.

2. Directive wont span across symlinks. Target directory path should be added in the directive to work.

3. I haven't worked on non English language directive yet. I will research on this and get back to you.

Regards,

Prajith

8 Krypton

Here is an overview of NetWorker Directive,

Directives are resources that contains special instructions that control how the NetWorker server processes files and directories during backup and recovery. NetWorker administrators can create directives to customize the NetWorker software to your specific needs, maximize the efficiency of backups, and apply special handling to individual files or directories.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Prajith,

sorry to correct you - it should read as follows:

"Directives are resources that contains special instructions that control how the NetWorker client software processes files and directories during backup and recovery. ..."

Directives are "specific rules for uasm" and consequently ... like 'save' & 'recover' a client specific program.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi Bingo,

Corrections are welcome . Yes you are right, directives works at client process.

Please feel free to share your knowledge on any related topic which you think useful to users.

Regards,
Prajith

0 Kudos