Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

April 5th, 2007 01:00

Automatic Media Pickup

We are using NW 732 Jumbo 11, Red Hat ES4.

We faced this problem yesterday when the groups did not complete waiting for a writable volume. NW did not automatically use the appendable volume available for the pool. When we manually mounted the volume, it completed the backups.

Another observation is that for this volume, even after doing a complete inventory - the location field under volumes is blank although the location field for other volumes has the repesctive volume names.

Any suggestions.

2K Posts

I am not good at nsrjb & mmlocate, can you help on them as well.

I am trying to check if it works after updating the location field manually.

14.3K Posts

Well, now you know why these tapes were not mounted - nw thought they were not in library so it didn't request them.

I have no idea why do you see difference between nsrjb and media db, but you could quickly workaround that by dumping volume list via nsrjb and then use that as input for mmlocate to update mdb. There were few issues with mmlocate which got fixed with 7.3.2. Is this existing install or upgraded environment?

14.3K Posts

April 5th, 2007 02:00

Give it a try manually first to see if it works what in theory should.

14.3K Posts

April 5th, 2007 02:00

I assume you did try nsrjb -HvE and nsrjb -Iv or nsrjb -IEv before...

14.3K Posts

April 5th, 2007 03:00

If you reconfigured library what might happen is also that media type in media db and media type in device properties is different. It wouldn't be first time. In that case recycled tapes need to be manually relabeled.

However this seems to be something else related to location field only. For now try to set this manually and see if this resolves issue completely. location problem I was referring to was issue with versions earlier than 7.3.2 and patched in 7.3.2 itself (no jumbo).

2K Posts

April 5th, 2007 03:00

Yes we have done this.

Infact, we shifted the equipment a couple of days back so we did reconfig. the jukebox as well.

We have now set the location manually & it is working fine now.

Do you think upgrading to update1 would help avoid such situations? I saw this in another pure Windows setup recently which was an upgrade from 6.x to 732 Jumbo 11. We could afford to relabel a tape there as we did not check whether the location field was in use or not.

This time the tape was index & bootstrap tape so relabelling could not even be thought of.

2K Posts

April 5th, 2007 23:00

It seems working good for now. Let us observe for a few days and see.
No Events found!