Highlighted
8 Krypton

Backup/Restore Configuration - Will it work the way I think?

As of right now this is the way things are configured

Servers are compressed and backed up to disk

The disk backup is then encrypted and backed up to tape - required to have off-site storage for disaster recovery

I know I can restore from disk to server

I know I can restore from tape to disk

What I am unsure of is how to restore from tape to server

I assume I will have to first recover it back to disk but what then?

Would I use scanner?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Backup/Restore Configuration - Will it work the way I think?

You will have to explain this a bit.  What does it mean servers are compressed and backed up to disk.  When re-reading what you said, it sounds as you make image or export of servers which you dump somewhere and then you backup that to tape.  With NW, if you would use it all the way, disk in the middle would be used as cache and then staged to tape.  Restore would be done always in the same way - no matter if data is on disk or tape.

8 Krypton

Yes I do it all with Networker but do not use staging to send them to tape.

I have never used staging, is it something that can be scheduled?

Do the tapes have to be labeled the same as the disks or is that something else that can be set?

Can the tapes be encrypted when staging?

Thanks for the good information

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Yes, staging can be configured to run when you want (or based on triggers). No, tapes can be labeled as you wish and they won't be labeled same as disk for sure since you must have some sort of difference.  Encryption of tape is done usually by HW.  If your stream is encrypted already on disk, when staged (moved) it will remain encrypted to my knowledge.

0 Kudos