Highlighted
IanThomas
1 Copper

Re: Backup VSS problems with windows 2008 R2

We just ran into the same problem on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 failover cluster. The solution was to make sure all volumes were assigned drive letters.

I hope they address this issue in an upcoming release; I can't waste drive letters for the sake of a bug in my backup solution.

Cheers,
Ian Thomas
0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Last thing I've been told was that 7.5SP2 has been postponed just so that support for R2 is integrated into it so EMC seems to be on the case.
0 Kudos

ok guys,

I have a w2k8 R2 to backup. I see on this thread that the temporary solution is ti give a drive letter to a "system reserved" partition.

Do you go to system manager-disk management to do this ? my disk management does not show the "system reserved" partition when I fired it up
0 Kudos
joka2
3 Argentium

It's really frustrating that EMC seems to be the only vendor having problem with this. TSM and Symantec both have hotfixes already to mitigate this issue with the R2 version of 2008.

EMC is suggesting to assign a driveletter to the system reserved partition. From what I've heard, that's not supported by microsoft.

Jo

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Is there a MS document suggesting that is not supported?

By following the history here, I have to say that this suggestion came first by forum participant and afterwards has been used by EMC (and I doubt extra check was done... I assume based on forum feedback someone just created KB article).

0 Kudos
Holger_Inf
3 Argentium

I was told that the problem with the size of the VSS system saveset is caused by MicroSoft requirements.

Other vendors are expected to be faced by this problem too, if they follow MS Guidelines.

One of my customers reported a VSS System SaveSet of 9 GB.

EMC produced a technote how to backup and restore Windows 2008, title:

WINDOWS SERVER 2008 OFFLINE SYSTEM RECOVERY USING WINDOWS SERVER BACKUP WITH NETWORKER

You find this in PowerLink in NetWorker documentation, technical notes.

This is not smooth, but seems to be a working way. Hopefully they are working on a better way, e.g. with NetWorker 7.5.2

0 Kudos
DanielSch
1 Copper

Is there any solution to backup MSSQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with MSSQL-Module?

I have tested with version 5.2.1 and the error message is:

20091216 11:14:57 ERR! 37692:(pid 2084):CreateInstance failed on Connection object in nsrsqlado.cpp line 823
20091216 11:14:57 ERR! 67945:(pid 2084):Cannot login to SQL Server Default Instance.

RETURN_CODE:        79

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

You should not mix two different fruits into same basket...
0 Kudos
DanielSch
1 Copper

Hrvoje, what do you mean?

0 Kudos
mofo
2 Iron

Not 7.5.2, but they are trying to get something assembled in 7.6 SP1 that would make DR of Win2008 possible in more of a streamlined way that we're (users) familiar with... workaround they provided is really last resort, when you need DR you don't want to spend hours setting the env to do a 3 or 4 step DR procedure...

Problem with inflated VSS SYSTEM FILESET (9-10GB) has two causes - changes in the VSS design since Win2003 to Win2008 and disability to identify whether the SYSTEM FILESET has changed since last full backup (NetWorker is supposed to skip backup of VSS SYSTEM FILESET if it hadn't changed, see the Admin guide). There were few ideas there how to fix this - which way will it go I don't know yet.

Anyhow, both problems are identified, nothing else to do but to sit and wait and see what will EMC come up with...

cheers

0 Kudos