Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2007 08:00

Backup failure

We are receiving a failure status in our Windows backup environment. It is stating that the save set, (client name):index, failed. No additional information is received under the message field. has anyone ever come across this problem.

Additional information from the savegrp.log:

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---
* (client name):index 1 retry attempted
* (client name):index save: cannot spawn external ASM `uasm' in C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\com1.valuecentric.com\: The directory name is invalid.
* (client name):index save: C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\(client name)\db6 was not successfully saved
* (client name):index save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments
* (client name):index save: save of indexclient name) to (backup server) failed

Message was edited by:
TomO

14.3K Posts

September 26th, 2007 12:00

It looks as there is a light corruption in index name (thus path) for that client. Try to see if nsrck check will fix it or end up with some additional messages.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2007 10:00

You may have more than one console session open; close all sessions and try again.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2007 11:00

I have run the nsrck command and it did not show any errors for the client's in question. Anything further I should be looking at.

14.3K Posts

September 28th, 2007 16:00

Check index directory and name in client resource/media db. You get

(client name):index save: cannot spawn external ASM `uasm' in C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\com1.valuecentric.com\: The directory name is invalid.

and that "\" at the end is a bit strange.

1 Message

August 26th, 2008 01:00

Im having the same error.

* Server :index 4 retries attempted
* Server :index save: cannot spawn external ASM `uasm' in D:\Program
Files\Legato\nsr\index\Server \: The directory name is invalid.
* Server :index save: D:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\Server \db6 was not successfully saved
* Server :index save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments
* Server :index save: save of index:Server to networker.servercom failed See the file D:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\tmp\sg\Test\sso.0000fd for details. This file may be removed after Tue Sep 02 16:02:24 2008.

After checking the path D:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\index\Server \, i've found out that theres a space on the server name:

"Server " while the others have "Server"...

does this entails something?

14.3K Posts

September 4th, 2008 07:00

Is it just in name or in path as well?

41 Posts

September 8th, 2008 10:00

Hi,
I had a similar problem. There could be several reasons behind this. You can check for the host entry, rpc, rpc binding and system resources. In my case it was due to system resources. Restarting the server did the trick.
No Events found!