Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2011 01:00

Backup some files failed

Hi, I use Networker 7.5.2.  Recently I met a problem when I tried to backup a file in a folder using Networker User manually. The status shows:

backup: E:\XXXX\XXXXXX.xls 0KB 00:16:52 0 files

But the file really exits and has size of more than 100kb. When check the Volumn data sets of media In Networker console, I found there was one but with the size of 4B:

Client             Save Set                                          Level                  Status                Size   Flags

abcdefg         E:\XXXX\XXXXXX.xls                  manual                browsable        4b       cb

So I could not recover this file. This happened to all files in this folder

When I backup files in another folder, it is successful.

Both folders has the security settings and the System has the privilege of Full Control.

Anyone has opinions about the problem? Thank you in advance.

14.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 01:00

Is it possible that you have skip directive on fs which gets in the way?

14.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 02:00

Let's make a test.  Go to client where this data is.  Go to E:\XXXX\  (btw, is this local disk or mnt point/junction?)

Type following:

save -s -D9 -b E:\XXXX\XXXXXX.xls > debug.log 2>&1

Once done, in debug.log you will have debug output from save while trying to save single E:\XXXX\XXXXXX.xls file.  Inside it should be visible why this action is not done.

10 Posts

Hi Hrvoje, thank you. But there are no skip directives for that file system, only AES encryption is used. And I really did the backup test using Networker User on the client system.

10 Posts

I don't have skip directives for this group. And even there is such a directive, there should not be a data set backuped in the media volumn.

14.3K Posts

Not backup group, but on the host file system (you said you did manual backup, didn't you?).  Skip directive won't backup data, but you will see saveset registered - that's normal.

You can make debug test on client and it will be more clear as to why is this happening.

10 Posts

August 12th, 2011 03:00

Hi Hrvoje,

With this test, I've found the reason. It's because this folder is a DFS one. Thank you very much.

14.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 03:00

Yeah... DFS backup model is not what one would expect (not sure if something has change in recent versions though)...

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg107678

No Events found!