Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2012 07:00

Basic Encryption on 7.6

Hello

I've inherited the EMC Admin role, so am rather new to it.

But everything seems OK, except I can't work out how to Encrypt the tapes.

We use Networker 7.6 on two HP Tape Libraries (one LT03 and one LT04) and send our backups via courier.

Unencrypted.

Which I think is bad.

I've had a look at the Administrator Guide, but can't work out how to do it.

I appreciate there will be a performance hit (speed only?) but is there a nice easy way to encrypt everything via Networker.

Thanks all in advance

Tony

17 Posts

October 12th, 2012 12:00

To expand on what Hrvoje said, if you want to do it through software then you need to set a passphrase for your datazone.  To do that go to the configuration tab and right click your backup server and choose properties.  Go to the configuration tab on that sheet and enter a passphrase.  It's easiest to choose a complex one and don't change it.  You will need that passphrase to recover anything backed up.

Now on the client resources choose the Encryption directive from the dropdown list.  Note that if you use a deduplication device then your deduplication will suffer.

If you want to do it through hardware then it will sit as an appliance between your networker server and your tape drives.  It offloads the processing power but in a disaster recovery scenario you will need to restore your encryption servers before you can recover any tapes.

14.3K Posts

October 12th, 2012 10:00

If you want to encrypt the tapes, you need to have 3rd party SW/HW for it which usually stands between tape and NW path (newer LTOs can deliver that). If you want backup software to encrypt backup sets, that you use encryption directive and you encrypt it that way if necessary.

October 15th, 2012 06:00

Thank you Sam

I was just about to reply saying "What Encryption Directive"? and then found it.

Thanks very much - looks like once you have the phrase in there that everything is transparent.

Best wishes

Tony

17 Posts

October 15th, 2012 07:00

No worries!  Just make sure you keep a copy of your passphrase in a second/remote location.  If an asteroid hit your datacenter then you would need to enter it on the new NetWorker server before you could do any restores!

No Events found!