Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2014 00:00

Browse and Retention policies

Good afternoon.

Please help to understand the logic of the Browse and Retention policies.

I've got it: the client is configured with "Default" Planner-Full backup on Sunday, incremental-other days of the week. Browse and Retention policies set for one week.

1st of the month-Full backup, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 is incremental.

8th of the month-Full backup, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14-incremental

Why data from 1st to 7 will not be deleted if there is a full backup completed 8th? These data are removed only 15 (third full backup). Is the amount of data increases by half than planned...

445 Posts

Mandri,

The reason the backups don’t expire is the incremental backups also have a 7 day retention period. So incremental taken on 7th is also kept for 7 days, however all incremental backups has a dependency on the Full backup.

Last incr expires on 14th, and therefore can be released on 15th. It is co-incidence that Full is on 15th but full backups must succeed to stop further incremental being dependant on an earlier full.

Regards,

Bill Mason

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

Hi Mandri,

As Bill already mentioned, all the savesets are dependent on each other for retention.The incremental are dependent on the last full and the succeeding incremental backups. Thus untill the last of the dependent saveset expires the savesets that this saveset is dependent on will not expire, if you think logically it all makes sense. 

2.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 01:00

Define a new schedule which runs a skip on the other days.

91 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 01:00

Thanks for the clarification!

And if I need only a full backup and incremental backup until the next full backup? What can you advise how to do this?

Thank you

2.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2014 02:00

What I mean is a simple weekly schedule like

full - skip - skip - skip - incr - skip - skip

If you need an incr every day, just define a schedule like the "Default" one.

Do not run all your fulls for all clients on one single day.

91 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 02:00

Due to the large size of the Full data backup and the lack of available storage, I it is important not to lose the information between the two most recent full backup. So I need to do incremental backups between full backups.

The Scheduler will help me with the "Skip"-can not understand.

Maybe it makes sense to use a synthetic backup?

445 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 04:00

Hi Mandri,

I think what you are saying here is you only have enough space on Media to hold 2 full backups not 3 – is that correct? He incremental should not take up much space unless there is a high change rate of the data.

Whenever you take an incremental backup you will extend the retention of the previous full to whatever the retention is – in your case tis is 7 days.

So

Full on 1st with retention of 7 days would normally expire on 8th, however if you take an incremental backup on 7th which also has retention of 7 days the full and incremental will not be released until 14th (15th most likely when housekeeping is run).

Without manually expiring backups for previous week I don’t think you will be able to configure this via schedules as with the suggested schedule from Bingo the your just omitting the dependency for some days and not taking an incremental prior to the Full being taken. You lessen the retention slightly but only by 2 days.

If it’s important to retain the data then you should look to invest into media to store the backups on rather than trying to work around an environmental not software limitation.

Regards,

Bill Mason

No Events found!