Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

March 17th, 2008 06:00

Browse policy

Hello,

My client a environment with a Networker server 7.3.2, many backup clients and many different modules. I configure 1 pool with browse and retention policies of 4 days and a clone of this backups with 50 years of browse and retention policies.

My problem: after the pool of 4 days is expired or labeled or recycled, the index is deleted, and the only way to recover this data I have to use a SaveSet Recovery. I don't have problem to do this type of recovery but my client don't know how to do this. And when I used a module backups I can recovery this backups.

Question: Have one way to increase only browse time running a command or script to do this browse time stay with 50 years, without increase a retention policy? This is helpful to my client.

Thanks

2K Posts

Does not seem logical? NW understands that Browse policy should be equal to or less than retention policy. Logic: If data is not retained, what wouldbe the use to keep the indexes.

There are command lines like nsrmm -w/-e to change browse period/retention period for a save set but I am sure it would still work on the above logic.

455 Posts

NW will not accept a browsing period longer than a retension one. If you try it on one of your client you will get an error message.

If you want to recreate an index use the scanner comand.

54 Posts

Have one way to automate this process?? Using Scanner command??

Thanks

54 Posts

I can to put only the browse policy.

Specifies the browse time for the specified save set (supplied with the −S option). Note that once the save set becomes recoverable, the browse time may not be changed. The browse time should be specified in the format that is acceptable to the function nsr_getdate(1m). The browse time has to be after the insert time in the save set record, but it cannot be after the retention time. If the option −e was not used, the existing retention time in the save set record is used for comparing with the specified browse time. See under the option −e for more details on retention time.

I try to use the scanner command.

Thanks

54 Posts

OK, I try to run this command.

Thanks

244 Posts

March 17th, 2008 07:00

You can use:
type: NSR notification;
name: Savegroup completion;
Which is lunched on every group completion. In that way you can write a script which will be lunched at group completion and change browse/retention time for clones.

54 Posts

I think to automate this putting this command in the savepnpc backup of my NW server.

scanner -i -b < >

This will work??

thanks

54 Posts

If I use this command, I can´t automate using this command, only if I create a scrip, but this difficult the environment administration. I want a most generic command.

Thanks

244 Posts

As I understand you want to have different browse retention policy for "original" (4 days) and for clones. Use nsrmm command but specify ssid/cloneid to change browse and retention for the cloned backups not for originals.

54 Posts

If I use this command, the automation stay very hard to do. I want a most generic command.

Thanks

724 Posts

March 17th, 2008 17:00

Can't you use Stage instead of Clone? You use clone to have a copy of you data, but if you're going to label your volume after just 4 days, you'll have only one version, that's not clone!

Is there any difference between this "4 day" pool and the other one? I mean, different media, library etc...

And you cannot recover module's data using saveset recover (at least for most of them), so you'll have to keep CFI avaliable, if you don't want to keep using scanner everytime you need to do a restore.

14.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 10:00

Best way to help your client is to learn the product.

Browse is common to both instances; original and cloned. Thus you can't have different browse than for original.

Clone pool is backup clone type. This means it does not store index entries. That means that scanner against cloned data won't populate the index database.

17 Posts

September 22nd, 2010 13:00

Hello Everyone

I think there is a benefit in change the browse and retention time for a short life of Backup (7 days)

Backup data to disk with retention and browse time of 7 days at night and early morning (4 backup groups), and during the day when these groups have finished, clon to tape but changing the browse and retention time to 1 month for example.

Cloning would be better that staging save sets, because the customer always has the most recent backup in disk if It is needed (one week before to expire)

The problem that I have is I change the retention time in pool configuration clone (GUI) but this change affect the retention time in both original and clone save set.

Why??

I have NW Fast Start 7.6

No Events found!