Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2016 04:00

CLP license CLP-UE-15 (CLP Update License):Can't find license file

Hi,

Recently i had upgraded Networker from 8.2 to 9.0, and i would like to retain the traditional licensing model

Along with the upgrade CLP Update License enabler has been auto created in registrations

When i requested for auth code , EMC licensing team had provided me a license file , which i had copied under C:\Program Files\EMC License Server\elms\licenses and configured and started LM service

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

License file: E:\Program Files\EMC License Server\elms\licenses\dpa.lic

-----------------------------------------------------

"NETWORKER_UPDATE" v1.0, vendor: EMCLM, expiry: 1-jan-0

License server: SJEDSVC30102

floating license  starts: 1-jan-1990,  no expiration date

License Manager Status

--------

Flexible License Manager status on Tue 1/12/2016 08:43

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]

License server status: 27000@SJEDSVC30102

License file(s) on SJEDSVC30102: E:\Program Files\EMC License Server\elms\licenses\dpa.lic:

SJEDSVC30102: license server UP (MASTER) v11.12.1

Vendor daemon status (on SJEDSVC30102):

EMCLM: UP v11.12.1

Feature usage info:

Users of NETWORKER_UPDATE:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

The backup server and License manager is on same server but below 3 alerts are still not getting updated in Networker

Tuesday 8:14:36 AM Warning registration CLP license CLP-UE-15 (CLP Update License) will expire in 40 days.  A valid license file containing this license feature must exist on the License Server, and the NetWorker Server must be able to connect to the License Server.
Tuesday 8:14:17 AM Warning registration CLP/ELMS server for basic license information found the following: Cannot find revision number in the 'NETWORKER_UPDATE' license. Please obtain a valid license.
Tuesday 8:14:17 AM Warning registration CLP/ELMS server for basic license information found the following: 'Can't find license file.'. Please obtain the license file.

1.7K Posts

January 12th, 2016 04:00

Hi Sreenath M

As per documentation, you need to copy that file also under the following directory:

/nsr/lic directory

Have you tried that?

Thank you,

Carlos

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2016 07:00

Did you add it on both location?  It has to be in place for both NW and license manager.

January 20th, 2016 07:00

Hi Sreenath,

I've got the same problem - did you manage to resolve this license issue in NetWorker 9?  I've added the license file to the nsr\lic directory so that does not seem to be the issue.

Regards

Luke

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2016 12:00

I see this error mentioned in https://support.emc.com/kb/211906 but from what you said you already made sure requirements necessary for this to work are in place.  The only thing left are permissions, but I doubt you missed that.

January 20th, 2016 12:00

Yes, the file is in both locations .  The license server has loaded the license file and all seem ok on that front.

NetWorker warning is: CLP/ELMS server for basic license information found the following: 'Cant find license file'

Initially I had the License Server installed on the NetWorker Server (test lab).  I thought this may be the cause of the issue as the documentation recommends it to be installed on another server so I've now uninstalled and reinstalled on another server.  EMC licensing department has reissued the .lic with the updated details and the EMC License Sever is now running on a different host.  Same issue.  The License Server seems to be ok with the license loaded but it says 1 NetWorker Capacity license available and 0 used.  In NetWorker when I right click on the server name and go Properties > Licensing > and then update CLP Refresh the same warning message returns a few seconds later.

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2016 13:00

Most likely your best bet is EMC support on this one.

January 20th, 2016 13:00

I checked both files have read & execute permissions for Everyone so I'm assuming that is sufficient

1 Message

March 1st, 2016 14:00

Here is a solution that I figured out that worked for me on Windows OS (for Networker 9.0.0.3):

1. Setup Flex licensing server as outlined in the EMC Licensing Guide.  Documentation tell you to place the license file in "C:\Program Files\EMC License Server". In my environment, licensing server is running on the same server as Networker on port 27000.

2. Copy the license file to "...\EMC NetWorker\nsr\lic" folder.

3. Locate the "licspec.properties" file on your hard drive and edit it (on my server its here: "D:\EMC NetWorker\nsr\lic").  Find the line that says "license.path=" and change it to point to the full path on the license file that you got from EMC. In my case "license.path=D:\EMC NetWorker\nsr\lic\.lic".  If you do not make this adjustment, your GUI will always say "Can't find license file."

4. Log into Networker Admin console and goto "Server" on the ribbon at the top.

5. In the left window pane, right-click on the name of your Networker server and select "Properties"

6. In the "Networker Server Properties - " window, click on the "Licensing" tab and in the "CLP refresh" type "Yes" (many things in Networker are case sensitive...) and click "Ok".

7. Log out of Networker, then log back in and check your licensing information.

The way Networker works in Windows is total different than it works in the Linux/Unix environment.  EMC documentation is mostly for Linux/Unix OS and is missing many steps that are required to get Networker to work correctly  under Windows. In many cases the documentation is wrong or grossly incomplete

To test your licensing (under windows, you will need to create a valid authentication token to run most commands from CMD):

1. open CMD and at the CMD prompt type (replace all <> with your environment info):

Her is the command for LDAP/AD users:

nsrlogin -s -H -p 9090 -t default -d -u -p ""

Here is the command to log in with local admin account

nsrlogin -s -H -p 9090 -u administrator -p ""

2. After you log in successfully with the above command, from CMD run

nsrlic

3. You should get info about your new license. Your GUI should also reflect this information.

Good luck!

March 2nd, 2016 04:00

This solution worked for me - thanks Greg!

March 16th, 2016 11:00

Thank you for providing this very helpful hint Greg. After an unsuccessful 90 minute chat and a WebEx with EMC support earlier today, I found your post and had my NW 9 server running with the new EMC CLP server in no time.

I wonder why EMC Licensing will generate the license file in a "IP_RandomNumber_Date.lic" format (instead of dpa.lic as it's stated in the licspecs.properties file). On page 33 of the NW 9 Licensing Guide EMC clearly recommends NOT to change the licensing file name; however, without matching the license file name with the one pre-defined in the licspecs properties file, your NW server will NEVER obtain its license.

Best regards, -Karel Kunz

BTW: Is the licspecs file a new feature for NW 9.0.0.3? I don't recall it with an earlier version of NW 9.

7 Posts

March 14th, 2017 01:00

Hi Sreenath,

you have re rename the license file with dpa.lic and place the file on below locations,

C:\Program Files\EMC License Server\elms\licenses

C:\Program Files\EMC Networker\nsr\lic

open LMTOOLS -> config Services -> path to the license file and select the license, Then clieck Start/Stop/Reread tab -> Stop and Start the License Service, then Reread the license

then refresh the license on Networker by below,

Server Tab -> Select the Backup Server -> in middle column Click the " Server Properties " -> Select Licensing -> CLP refresh , Type "Yes" and Press OK.

now  go to Registrations, you can see your license registered

June 21st, 2017 02:00

We have a running configuration of both license and server. we recently restarted the networker services and we see this error again.

I am unable to recollect the hierarchy of restarting the services

14.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 08:00

Make sure license file is not empty - I have seen that happen (where content will be wiped out on backup server).

July 17th, 2017 01:00

the license file is not empty, Hrvoje. I am unable to paste the content here but yes it is untouched and has all relevant information

No Events found!