TomConway1
1 Copper

Can you have 2 tape libraries on a single host?

I have a tape library attached to a host system and have been using it for years. We have recently purchased a duplicate tape system and I have attached it to the same host, but when I try to use it, it states that I have no license for it. I am currently running 7.2 but plan to upgrade to 7.4 or 7.5...
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
mfriedma
1 Copper

Re: Can you have 2 tape libraries on a single host?

Hi,

NetWorker is licensed by the number of slots per jukebox. If you have 2 jukeboxes, you would need to have 2 licnses, each with the respected number of slots.

This licensing requirement does not change in the 7.4.X, 7.5.X releases.

If you are planning to upgrade I advise to read the Upgading NW to 7.4.X or 7.5.X tech note before the actual upgrade since it contains everything you wanted to know about the upgrade process. The tech notes can be found on PowerLink in the NW TechNotes area.

Regards,

Mickey

0 Kudos
amediratta
4 Beryllium

Yes, you can have 2 tape libraries on a single host. Infact in a couple of sites, we are having three on one host each for their own SAN based backups. All you need is Autochanger license for each library based on the no. of slots each have.

Regards,

Anuj

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lalexis
3 Argentium

This brings up a good point, why aren't the number of slots you have to purchase in line with any of the number of slots on common jukleboxes. For example I have an LTO2 jukebox with 54 slots that means I have to purchase 64 slots from EMC, that is unless they have changed it recently and not told me. Same with all the other jukeboxes I have had. I end up paying for slots that do not exist. It would be different if they all cost the same. How about just letting us choose the number of slots we want or have and charging according to individual slots?
0 Kudos
amediratta
4 Beryllium

If you are allowed to choose the no. of slots instead of following a slab as per the current policy, I believe it might become too cumbersome for EMC to handle both pricing and the enabler codes. The slot slabs are configured well to suit most people.    
0 Kudos
amediratta
4 Beryllium

I would suggest you to do some more study on the environment and see if you can utilize the second library as a storage node if it is a large setup. Do let me know if you need help on this.
0 Kudos
lalexis
3 Argentium

So you are saying you have the same number of slots on your jukebox as you have licenses for? I don't think it would be any more cumbersome than the system they already have, have you ever seen the riduculous list of enabler codes? It might even be simpler. Maybe just charge by jukebox.
0 Kudos
amediratta
4 Beryllium

Yes, I have a 9 slot autochanger (Old HP one) and 1-9 slot license.

It would be wonderful if they charge only for the jukebox irrespective of the no. of slots but then I think they make more money charging for more slots and the logic goes like this: you pay more money for a larger library, you pay more money for the license to use it in Networker.

0 Kudos
TomConway1
1 Copper

Looks like I may have opened Pandora's box here...

I forgot to mention that I have the "unlimited slots" option. I guess I still need another license to run the jukebox and also get it another unlimited slots license...

On another jukebox I maintain, I had to disable a few slots to fit the closest license configuration without purchasing more than I could use...

Thank you all for your help and information!

0 Kudos
lalexis
3 Argentium

That's cool, I never got that lucky. The first jukebox I had was 10 slots, then I had one that was 26 slots, now I have one that is 54 slots.

I can see the logic, kind of, of charging in blocks (for lack of a better word) of slots. Most people are going to want to see if they made a good purchase when buying that new jukebox so they will naturally want to enable enough slot to use the entire thing. They might actually lose money if they let you only get what you actually need.

0 Kudos