lalexis
3 Argentium

Re: Can you have 2 tape libraries on a single host?

Unlimited? I bet that cost a pretty penny. I am pretty sure you will have to get another license for the other jukebox. Just curious, why the unlimited license? Do you have more slots than they offer otherwise?
0 Kudos
TomConway1
1 Copper

The tape unit has 170 slots - I replaced the 360 slot jukebox a few years ago and kept the slot license...

I was hoping the unlimited slot count would work with the current unit and the new 170 slot jukebox...

I can't remember how much the unlimited cost new, but it is more then seven grand a year for maintenance!!

0 Kudos
AllanW1
3 Argentium

Looks like we have lots of interest in licensing. Over the past year or so, we have tried to make improvements in licensing for NetWorker to make things easier – and in most cases, lower cost.  Some of the things we’ve done:

• Eliminated the need for ClientPak and Cluster Client Connection licenses.
  • Stopped requiring VSS client licenses for basic open file and file system backup on Windows servers.
  • Removed the need to count processors for Windows app modules (no more tiers).
  • Created the Virtual Edition client to give more flexibility in virtual environments.
  • Taken a consolidation approach to application modules – creating a single Microsoft App module that covers SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, Hyper-V, AD and DPM, as well as a new module being released this quarter for the other NetWorker-supported non-MS databases and applications (shhh you need to wait a couple weeks for more info on this one).

As for other improvements, if you were the EMC Product Manager responsible for making a balanced and attractive licensing structure, how would you approach it?  Remember that you get to be both the customer and the vendor and you need to balance out the needs of both.

Highlighted
lalexis
3 Argentium

Wait!

I no longer have to purchase ClientPak licenses?

Does that mean I can remove them from my maintainance contract?

Do I have to upgrade to a certain version for this to take effect?

I really need to find out what I REALLY need because we keep getting more and more budget cuts, I work for the state of South Carolina, need I say more?

I have a small setup here and am not totally sure why our part of the DR isn't included with the rest of the division's DR. Basically I just backup the Operations Department computers; 2 AIX servers, 1 running Oracle, 3 Windows 2003 servers, and 6 PCs running Windows XP. I have 1 54 slot IBM LTO2 jukebox with 3 drives. That's it, there might not be much there but those 2 AIX servers are critical, they hold ALL the crucial data for us.

As for improvements in licensing, I would like to see each customer have a policy custom tailored to their needs. For example using my own situation; I do not need 64 slots for my jukebox so why not just charge me for 54? Also I am only backing up 11 clients which is practically nothing compared to some of the people where with thousands, so how about designing a package for low-end users like myself at a reduced cost, say less than 50 clients and have it include everything. I guess that was the idea behind the ClientPak.

That brings up a suggestion, at home I have a growing network and would like a cheap and easy to use backup program that could back everything up to one central PC (server). Keep in mind that these PCs have very little critical data (mostly pictures) on them so I would not want to spend a whole lot just to back them up. So how about a home version for just a couple hundred bucks and a small annual support fee (under $100)?

0 Kudos
amediratta
4 Beryllium

This change of licensing happened I think with 7.4.1. You do not need ClientPaks now. You also don't need Cluster Client Connections and there are no more Tiers in application modules. For VMs, you can now have a VCC license. VSS enabler no more required.

Check the latest release notes, you will more reasons to upgrade.    

0 Kudos
lalexis
3 Argentium

Now that you mention it, it does seem like I read that somewhere. I am going to go back through and see if I can find it and have it removed from our maintenance contract. I'm at 7.4 sp2.

Seems like I also read that I was supposed to be able to update all the clients from the server but I was never able to figure that out, or at least I never got it to work. So some of my clients are still at 7.3

0 Kudos
amediratta
4 Beryllium

If your server is upgraded, the license changes work for you. This should not be a problem even if all the clients are not upgraded. Ideally, all storage nodes should be same version as server.
0 Kudos
ecarter11
3 Argentium

Here's some info on the changes and releases in which the changes occured (so you have to install and use that version to benefit from the change)

ClientPaks7.4 SP1 and higherNo longer requires ClientPak licenses to enable heterogeneous operating system support.
Cluster Client Connection7.4 SP2 and higherClusters no longer require unique cluster licenses. Use standard client connections per cluster node.
Open File Backup with VSS7.4 SP2 and higherVSS client license no longer required for open file backup on Windows. Supported with standard client connection.
Windows Application ModulesVersion independentEliminates processor tiering for Windows Application Modules.
Virtual Edition Client7.4 SP3 and higherVirtual Edition client license enables protection of any number of virtual machine guests per physical host.
Application Module licensing for virtual environments7.4 SP3 and higherOnly one Application Module license for each application type (SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, SAP, etc.) is required per physical host regardless of the number of virtual guests running the application and module.

Hope this helps.

-Eric

0 Kudos
lalexis
3 Argentium

Thanks, that does help.

So I do not have to have the ClientPak for Windows anymore but I do have to maintain my number of connections licenses. Every little bit helps.

0 Kudos
sweller1
2 Iron

And Larry...look up the Software Administraton inteh Admin Guide to learn more about remote installation.

-Steve

0 Kudos