Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2015 08:00

Cannot connect to VBA after MS hotfixes.

After installing Super Tuesday updates on my servers, my VBA backups are all failing with "Unable to connect to VBA emc-ba.it.endgames.local, error Cannot establish session to VBA."   And that's literally it.  I go to the logs for that job and that's also all it says.  All backups were working so, there's really not much else it could be.  There is not firewall between networker and the VBA or the ESXi server.  When I snoop the connection through WireShark, I see traffic between the two on port 8543, so I'm rather mystified here.  I'm in the process of reviewing all the updates to see what might be likely, but I'm hoping someone may have already seen and resolved this, even though I didn't see anything in the forum.

This is Networker 8.1.3 on Windows 2012 with VBA version1.0.3.6.

34 Posts

May 15th, 2015 12:00

Really, really surprised this isn't a bigger thing on this community, but in the event someone else comes across it, here's the answer.  You can either unininstall KB3061518 or apply the below registry hack.

Modify the windows registry to enable the proper protocols by default. A KB for this procedure is being written by Mahesh.

NOTE: It is highly recommended to backup registry before following this process

1. 1. Open notepad and copy the below lines into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\SSL 2.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\SSL 2.0\Client]

"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client]

"DisabledByDefault"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Client]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2\Client]

1. 2. Go to file – save
  2. 3. Change ‘save as type’ to ‘All files’
  3. 4. name the file as ‘TCP-Allow.reg’
  4. 5. Using Windows explorer- browse to location where you have saved the file.
  5. 6. Right click the ‘TCP-Allow.reg’ and click ‘Merge’

NOTE: The ‘SSL 2.0’ is set to default of disabled by above and all other Keys under ‘Protocols’ will be overwritten

34 Posts

Everytime I try to open that link, either by clicking on your link or searching through the portal, I get a salesforce.com error.  I get this a lot through the EMC portal.

Login Error
Your login attempt using single sign-on with an identity provider certificate has failed. Please contact your salesforce.com administrator for more information.

355 Posts

Hello,

Following KB article contains solution for it -

https://support.emc.com/kb/195277

Regards,

Pawan

34 Posts

May 14th, 2015 09:00

Well, I'd love to do that, except the cert on this appliance is STILL insecure and now after the hotfixes, even IE won't connect to it.  I've tried FF, Chrome, safari, and IE and none of them will connect to the appliance due to an insecure cert.

355 Posts

May 14th, 2015 09:00

Issue -

The NetWorker VMware Protection integration is configured in the environment and scheduled backups were working successfully.  The policies started encountering a failed state and the policy message shows:

Unable to connect to VBA [EBR_APPLIANCE], error Cannot establish session to VBA.

When you log into the EMC Backup & Recovery (EBR) Virtual Backup Appliance the "dpnctl status" command indicates that the mcs service is down. The EBR web configuration screen only shows that the backup scheduler service is down.  Attempting to start the mcs service with "dpnctl start mcs" fails to properly start the mcs service.

The dpnctl.log, under the /usr/local/avamar/var/log/ directory, shows:

YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS Starting Administrator Server...
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS Started
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS Caught Fault -
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS  Type : com.vmware.vim25.InvalidLogin
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS  Actor : null
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS  Code : null
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS  Reason : Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS  Fault String : Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS Exception running : VMWare
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - END
YYYY/MM/DD-HH:MM:SS dpnctl: ERROR: error return from "[ -r /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile ; /usr/local/avamar/bin/mcserver.sh --start" -exit status 1

Resolution

Update the vCenter registration information under the EBR configuration screen.  If the vCenter server registration fails to save with the SSO username and password, ensure the password has not expired.  If expired, update the SSO password via the vSphere Web client interface.  Once the vCenter registration information is updated, the EBR appliance needs to be restarted.

34 Posts

May 14th, 2015 10:00

Maybe a better question is, Does the 8.2.1 VBA upgrade work with 8.1.3 server?  And does it fix all the ssl stuff?

34 Posts

May 14th, 2015 11:00

Alright, I found a desktop with an unpatched IE and got into the admin interface.  But this did not fix the issue.  I updated both the VMWare and NetWorker configs.

3 Posts

May 19th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

uninstall of KB3061518 clear the issue for me

the registry hack/tweak doesn´t work (maybe you have another workaround)

thanks

br

Harri

Windows 2008 R2, Networker 8.2.1, VBA 1.1.1.46

3 Posts

May 19th, 2015 05:00

ok, not good to hear that you have new issues...

i´ve opened a ticket by our networker partner, maybe the provide a permanent fix

34 Posts

May 19th, 2015 05:00

I didn't try the registry tweak, was just copying the info EMC support sent me.  Unfortunately, I now have a whole new set of issues with VBA backups. 

159 Posts

May 19th, 2015 08:00

See our friends from MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3061518

• The ClientMinKeyBitLength DWord registry entry enables you to set the minimum DHE group size in bits that the client will accept from the server. In the following example, a 512-bit group size is accepted. By default, without the ClientMinKeyBitLength DWord registry entry present, Schannel uses a 1,024-bit minimum group size on the client.

To edit this registry entry, follow these steps:
  1. 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. 2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\KeyExchangeAlgorithms\Diffie-Hellman

1. 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  2. 4. Type ClientMinKeyBitLength for the name of the DWORD, and then press Enter.
  3. 5. Right-click ClientMinKeyBitLength, and then click Modify.
  4. 6. In the Value data box, type 00000200, and then click OK.
  5. 7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

3 Posts

May 20th, 2015 00:00

Hi HyperV Guy,

thanks fr providing me with this update (my supporter also send me this info)

this registry tweak works without uninstalling the KB

thx

br

Harri

May 20th, 2015 04:00

ok.

shutdown EBR;

in my case, Networker 8.1.1.2 in installed on a Windows server 2012 and there i was removed KB by uninstalling them

remember that this KB on Windows 2012 don't create any registry key, as mentioned from Microsoft in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3061518  Security update deployment information

then, create this DWORD ClientMinKeyBitLength with this value 00000200 in this path of registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\KeyExchangeAlgorithms\Diffie-Hellman

then go to networker management console, go to device tab, and enable VBA device (vmware internal storage target);

restart Networker Server

restart VBA (ebr);

thats work for me.

34 Posts

May 20th, 2015 04:00

Just to be clear (and I'm taking an educated guess here), performing the registry tweak is likely identical to the patch.  I preferred deferring the patch so that when EMC fixes it, I'll be able to re-apply rather than having a permanent registry hack I'll likely forget about.  Just my preference, YMMV.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2015 23:00

Hello,

I Just Uninstall of KB3061518 and issue has been solved.

I am using Windows 2012 R2, Networker 8.2.1, VBA 1.1.1.50

BR

A,Q

No Events found!