Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2008 08:00

Cannot delete drive from Networker

Basically I need to delete a library and two drives from Networker. I successfully deleted the library and one drive but didn't realize that the second drive was mounted with a tape. Now I can't delete in the NW GUI.

Running NW 742 on a Windows 2003 platform.

Every time I try to delete the drive I get errors saying to unmount it first. When I try unmount, it says a mount operation is in progress.

Can I do this in the command line somehow?

198 Posts

August 19th, 2008 08:00

Hi,

Older versions of NetWorker for Windows included the mt command as this is not supplied by Microsoft. However, looking at the latest documentation could not find this listed in the command reference manual.

However, as you have removed the library configuration NetWorker will not be able to control the robot to move the tape from the drive back to the storage slot within the library. In your situation, I would use the mark one human hand and operate the library manually to unload the tape and then once unloaded give the windows server a reboot. Following the reboot, you should be able to complete the removal of the drive from within NetWorker.

HtH

IKP

20 Posts

August 20th, 2008 10:00

Perform an unload of the drive (right click on it and unload), no physical movement of the tape is going to be performed but NW register the tape as unloaded, then remove this tape drive association with any pool you might have and you are all set to go...

HTH

116 Posts

August 21st, 2008 08:00

you can also shutdown networker server daemons & use nsradmin to delete the device resource directly

16 Posts

August 28th, 2008 11:00

It would be best to go ahead and use nsradmin with the server down to del the drive as the other person recommended.

with networker down cd to ../nsr/mm/ dir
Then type in the following command to get into nsradmin to administer the server
#nsradmin -d .
nsradmin>p type: nsr device
nsradmin>del type: nsr device;name:dev_name

this is how you force nsr to accept changes that it will not accept when up
No Events found!