Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2006 02:00

Cannot find an available nsrmmd service

hi,

We got a problem on a Storage node 7.3 on windows, sometime when the storage node try to mount a tape we got the folowing error.

nsrd: media notice: check storage node: (nsrmmd missing from polling reply)
nsrd: media waiting event: Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'PWinLeDaily' tape(s) or disk(s) on
nsrd: [Jukebox `rd= ', operation # 216]. Cannot find an available nsrmmd service for operation on device 'rd= :\\.\Tape1'. Try again.
nsrmmgd: Cannot find an available nsrmmd service for operation on device 'rd= :\\.\Tape1'. Try again.
nsrmmgd: Jukebox `rd= ' failed to load the requested volume.
pools supported: PWinLeDaily;
nsrd: [Jukebox `rd= ', operation # 216]. Finished with status: retryable
nsrmmgd: RAP error: Invalid resource data.
nsrmmgd: Cannot update operation status resource (instance 216).

then on the retry the tape is mounted but mark full with no data on it.
there are no errors on the library, for the tape, on windows or FC router

14.3K Posts

May 18th, 2006 03:00

Is nsrmmd really available? When doing rpcinfo -t check against nsrmmd do you get ready response?

1.1K Posts

May 18th, 2006 03:00

Also verify on the storage node that you do have nsrmmd processes running and they have not failed in some way.

14.3K Posts

May 18th, 2006 06:00

Ah, I see... nsrmmd looks unavailable and there is not retry option even error is retryable. That sounds like something I already have seen and there is also a patch for it. You should open this with support.

16 Posts

May 18th, 2006 06:00

we check nsrmmd with rpcinfo -t but as the problem is not present all the time, we got status ready and waiting.
when the problem comes, the jukebox is still waiting for 1 writable volume during 30 min and then mount another tape without problem.

9 Posts

October 13th, 2006 04:00

I have exactly the same problem with version 7.3.

I have a backup running at 2:00 with a single device library. 10 minutes after this backup finished, a second one starts.
What I see in the daemon.log is that the second backup try to load its tape in the device without sending an unload before. So I receive an error message (same as your). 30 minutes later, a new load command is send to the library but just before there is an unload so this retry works.

The problem is : Why Networker tried the first time to load a tape without unloading the device before ?

Does anyone have the answer ?

Have you solved your problem ?

Thanks.

14.3K Posts

October 13th, 2006 07:00

I have exactly the same problem with version 7.3.

I had the same issue in test environment when using 7.3.0 with single drive. The error was fixed in 7.3.1. Apply 7.3.2 and if you have same issue contact your support.

43 Posts

October 16th, 2006 20:00

How to check if nsrmmd is running? i tried rpcinfo -t but cannot.
can you also advise how to check on storage node if nsrmmd is running?
i am getting the same error as yours.

14.3K Posts

October 17th, 2006 00:00

rpcinfo -t is one way (you should describe what is failing in your case) and examining process list is another way.

117 Posts

May 5th, 2011 06:00

hello all,

we are facing an error message like "cannot find an available nsrmmd services for ". This error is coming in a particular case. Let say presently DB(orapool) tape is loaded and we have started filesystem group. This group has to take backup, unload the tape(orapool) and load the filesystem tape. the backup process is succeed. But while loading the filesystem tape the above error message is coming and it is keep on trying to load the tape.

But when i do unload and load of a tape manually no error.

Waiting for your reply and thanks in advance.

No Events found!