Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 12th, 2013 08:00

Cannot install networker 8 server software

I am trying to install trial additions of Networker 8 on our new AIX 7.1 server.

Everything appears to install correctly but when I start networker with the rc.nsr command it will only run nsrexecd.

I have removed and reinstalled many times and still no luck.

I do have another networker server on the same network that is getting replaced by this one and wonder if that could be the problem.

I have gone through the install instructions a few times and do not think I missed anything.

When I try to re-install the NMC it does not even create the rc.gst file to start it.

This server is supposed to replace the other one in less than a month and I need it up and running properly in the next few day for testing so any help is appreciated.

14.3K Posts

February 14th, 2013 11:00

If you do lslpp -L all | grep -i lgto* do you see it installed?  Also, did you run /opt/lgtonmc/bin/nmc_config?  Running that is mandatory after package installation.

445 Posts

February 12th, 2013 09:00

Larry,

Do you use IPv6? If not have you made necessary changes to stop this being identified by NetWorker?

Download NetWorker Procedure Generator for progress of installing the software.

I have had issues when IPv6 was configured but not used (I think this is default for AIX 7.1:

Misconfigured loopback entries in the hosts file can cause backups to fail. When an entry is made in the hosts file for localhost, localhost must be entered before aliases (for example, loopback) the order is:

address localhost alias

For example:

• IPv6 localhost entry:

::1 localhost loopback

• IPv4 localhost entry:

127.0.0.1 localhost loopback

IPV4 considerations

The default behavior of the AIX name resolver is to lookup both the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for a host machine. If either address fails to resolve locally, the operating system requests the address from the DNS server. If IPv6 addressing is not configured on the AIX machine, the DNS server request will time out and return a failure message. If the time out wait time is long, some NetWorker commands might have a delayed response and time out.

To prevent the time out of NetWorker commands, change the default name resolution lookup behavior on the AIX machine. This ensures that IPv6 lookups are not attempted.

There are three methods that are used to configure the name resolution mechanism on AIX. Ensure all three methods do not attempt IPv6 lookups:

• The NSORDER environment variable.

From a command prompt on the AIX machine, type:

env

If the NSORDER variable is not defined as NSORDER=local,bind4, type:

export NSORDER=local,bind4

• The /etc/irs.conf file.

Ensure the hosts entries are:

hosts local

hosts dns4

• The /etc/netsvc.conf file.

Ensure the hosts entry is:

hosts=local, bind4

Regards,

Bill Mason

253 Posts

February 12th, 2013 11:00

We do not use IPv6, our at least not on this server.

I have gone through the steps with the procedure generator and still cannot get the server to run.

Here is what I have:

grepNSR.png

hosts.png

lslpp.png

Netsvc.png

Env.png

2.4K Posts

February 12th, 2013 22:00

This looks weird. The only reason that comes into my mind which will prevent a NW server to start is a corrupt media index (/nsr/mm). So you might want to delete the NW databases and logs:

/nsr/res

/nsr/mm

/nsr/index

/nsr/tmp

/nsr/logs

before you restart NW.

Let me also suggest that you have a look at /nsr/logs/daemon.raw to check for details. If there is no info, you may want to start the daemons (nsrexecd & nsrd) in debug mode (for example "nsrd -D 5") either from the script or from the command line.

As this is a fresh install i would use a later version (8.0.1.x).

253 Posts

February 13th, 2013 11:00

I wiped out everything under /nsr and started over.

Now it appears the the server is running, the only thing wrong now is the NMC.

It did not create the rc.gst file and is not running, any suggestions on what to cleanup for it?

I noticed when using smit you should only select the server rte. When I selected the others with it the only thing that showed was client. Selecting the server installed everything except the NMC and the language packs.

Thanks

253 Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

I decided to delete everything for the NMC and start over.

It still did not create the rc.gst file so I tried starting it manually and this is what I got:

gstd.png

I did not thonk that I had to specify ports for Networker, if so which config file should I use?

Thanks

253 Posts

February 13th, 2013 12:00

Yet another fresh install of the NMC and start using the gstd command shows this:

new_gstd.png

2.4K Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

This looks weird again. Obviously all NW server/SN processes are running. However the client listener (nsrexecd) is not. This should not even be possible. nsrexecd is mandatory to support the SN, the NW server and NMC. So as long as nsrexecd does not work, gstd will also not run.

To see a 'legible' error message you must use the appropriate 'Log File Viewer" nsr_render_log:

nsr_render_log daemon.raw | more          and

nsr_render_log gstd.raw | more               respectively

Once again, let me suggest that you better install the latest version, not one which is 6 months old.

The current versions are 8.0.0.7 and 8.0.1.1.

Unfortunately, i have no AIX experience to be of more AIX specific help.

14.3K Posts

February 13th, 2013 14:00

Larry Alexis wrote:

I noticed when using smit you should only select the server rte. When I selected the others with it the only thing that showed was client. Selecting the server installed everything except the NMC and the language packs.

Forget smitty - use installp. Do nsr_shutdown and then try to start manually nsrexecd only.  See if that works.  If not, do the same in debug mode.

253 Posts

February 14th, 2013 10:00

I appear to have the server part installed correctly now:

grep_nsr2.png

Now I appear to be unable to get the NMC to run. The install does not even create the rc.nsr file and running it with the gstd command bombs out.

No Events found!